Advice on first trials bike

rumrunner

Hey guys, 

I'm currently a DH mtb rider but looking to get into trials to improve bike handling and for some fun.

In terms of a first trials bike I'm between two used ones:

Pretty much new (barely ridden) 2013 Inspired Element 24" for $900 CAD and a Planet X Alibongo for $350 CAD.

Any thoughts on which of these to pick up (or neither)?

Thanks for the reply, both of them are in my range and really the only reason I was thinking about the Inspired is because it's in pretty much new shape (person rode it for 15 min) and is technically in my budget if I stretch it.

Sounds like a pretty reasonable approach though and does make a lot of sense.  But either bike would be good for beginning? (not looking to make everything easy and I understand the learning curve is pretty steep)

Depends on the state of the components on the PX. Like Matt, Id go for the PX, for the reasons he mentioned and also because I believe you, coming from a mtb back ground, would maybe be more suited to the larger 26" wheels. Old bikes like the PX appeal to me more than the new super generic 24s you see everywhere these days. The PX will have much more character! Although may be dripping with issues, like, a shit pick up on the hub, sticky magura pistons, tubing on the verge of cracking, narrow tyre-folding rims, begging to be snapped 25.4 BAAAARS AHHHHHHH!

For sure, the 24 will feel more solid, more confidence inspiring with regards to the drive train and brakes but the geometry difference between the two wont be wildly different, after all, 24s were designed around streety 26s! Infact, after Edd Tongue tried 24" wheels on his Pashley, the Ashton Edd tongue frame was born!

For comparison, my new 2016 Inspired Flow Plus 24 with upgrade to SRAM hydraulic brakes was about Cdn $1,500, + 13% sales tax.

in which Canadian city do you live? I'm in greater Ottawa, population about 1.3 million. There were zero used trials bikes for sale here in December.