Monty 221 PR New Build

JB1

Hi all,

Thought I'd share my latest project with the TF community.

It's been several years since I last rode biketrials, 9 years in fact, and after a recent moto trials demonstration I did which included a good friend of mine on his cycle trials bike, I had the sudden urge to get another bike for the occasional ride and to aid my fitness for moto trials. Although I have been heavily involved in moto trials for the last 28 years, cycle trials was always my first love, which started on modified bmx bikes from around the age of 7. I was eventually lucky enough to be bought a Monty T219 by my parents, which at the time was a dream come true! Over the years I have owned various cycle trials bikes, Monty T219 (still have one), Megamo TrialPro 20 (still have), Monty 230 (26") Monty Urban (26") Echo Team, Echo Lite, Adamant A1. Having grown up when OtPi was 'the man', I have always had a soft spot for the Monty brand, I still have a Monty T219 which I restored a short time ago... mid 30's and nostalgia creeping in!

So after deciding it was time to get another bike, next was to decide what to get! I have always liked the shape of the Monty 221 PR and TI frames, so set out to try and find a tidy bike or frame, obviously these being a few years old now I soon realised there wasn't going to be much to choose from! After a post on the 'wanted' section of the forum I was kindly pointed in the direction of Ben from Trials Addict with a tip off that he had a new old stock 221 PR in stock, perfect! Wanting to use as many Monty parts as possible has meant sourcing parts from all of the place, including Ben at Trials Addict, Tartybikes, Trials-bikes and Al4bikes in Spain, have to say all of them have been very helpful and efficient.

So heres a couple of pics of the finished bike, still a bit of fine tuning to do, I will be changing the rotors as these were just a couple that I had lying around. I'm over the moon with how it rides, although I haven't weighed it, it feels super light and very confidence inspiring.

Would love to hear people's thoughts on this semi retro new build! (Y)

Spec.

2007 Monty 221PR frame.

Monty 221 Ti Disc only forks.

Monty 221 Ti Stem.

Monty 221 Ti bars.

Monty Pro Race Wheelset.

Hope Trialzone brakes.

Trialtech Isis botom bracket.

Trialtech headset.

Monty 221 Ti / Kamel cranks.

Trialtech cage pedals, may change for the Monty Ti's in time.

Monty 221 Ti bash plate.

Trial freewheel (already had new one in the spares box)

Maxxis Creepy Crawler tyres (already had new one in the spares box), again, may try Monty Eagle claws or Pro race in time.

Monty Foam grips.

Plus Jitsie fork protectors and lots of neoprene chain stay protectors... :D the bike will be ridden properly, but I'd like to keep it nice as well! 

IMG_0056.thumb.jpg.8d4ca58e81757421a284e73e7d7f1ad8.jpgIMG_0057.thumb.jpg.fed410c8a690cb07a9ad996ee98ae765.jpgIMG_0058.thumb.jpg.0bb46fad857e6e5e41ed96d561847811.jpg

Edited by JB1
Revised type
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
14 hours ago, pzexperience said:

Nice work!

i need a new rear hub for mine. What do you recommend? 

You'll need to check the number of spokes in your current back wheel to see whether it's going to be easier to buy a new wheel or a new hub. Some Monty bikes used 36h rear wheels - if yours has a 36h wheel then getting just a replacement hub will be difficult as not many brands use that drilling any more.

If it's 32h, and if you're using a rim brake and don't plan on using a disc brake in future, the Trialtech Race Sealed rear hub would be a good shout: https://www.tartybikes.co.uk/116mm_fixed_hubs/trialtech_race_sealed_rear_hub/c62p11422.html

Good quality, sealed bearing, not too heavy, should fit that frame fine.

You'll also need new spokes and it would probably be worth getting a new sprocket at the same time to be on the safe side.