standing trials hop gap help

craigblight

last night went street riding on my onza t-pro. it has a tensile 60click freewheel.  found a gap just over 6ft but i just couldnt seem to get it across. i would hit it but not enuff to stay on it. now is there away of getting bike to go further ( i know more lower front and pull hard ment to help ) that i can try. also wud going to a 72 click or even a 108 click freewheel help out loads more. any advice wud be great. 

freewheel wont make a huge difference, as long as your chain has an alright tension. it really is a case of exaggerated movements, compress more before you take off, tuck more in the air, and one thing i found is that dont pull your brake until just before the wheel lands- when the wheel is locked its hard to move the bike around in the air with your legs, with it unlocked you can tuck and extend more to make the gap. :)  

and also, hard to explain, but if you take off with the mindset of jumping further than the gap actually is, when you land it you feel further over the bike and dont have the "im leaning back too far, i have to jump off backwards" thing. 

you could also turn your bike, dont take off dead straight- if youre right foot forward, when youre on the back wheel on the takeoff, turn the bike to the right a little bit so you take off slightly sideways. gives you more room to manoeuvre. :) 

Edited by Herbertlemon102
  • Like 3

Turn sideways a little, so you're not gapping perfectly forward

Drop your hip toward the back tyre to compress and preload

Make sure you drop the front wheel.

Pickup in the air.

Extend your legs to absorb the impact.

Aim past the edge of the wall ; aim to land on top not against the edge.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0W3OjgCIUvE?autoplay=1

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alex Dark said:

Pickup in the air.

what i said but much easier to read. i wish i didnt ramble on as much as i do :( 

5 hours ago, Herbertlemon102 said:

freewheel wont make a huge difference, as long as your chain has an alright tension. it really is a case of exaggerated movements, compress more before you take off, tuck more in the air, and one thing i found is that dont pull your brake until just before the wheel lands- when the wheel is locked its hard to move the bike around in the air with your legs, with it unlocked you can tuck and extend more to make the gap. :)  

and also, hard to explain, but if you take off with the mindset of jumping further than the gap actually is, when you land it you feel further over the bike and dont have the "im leaning back too far, i have to jump off backwards" thing. 

you could also turn your bike, dont take off dead straight- if youre right foot forward, when youre on the back wheel on the takeoff, turn the bike to the right a little bit so you take off slightly sideways. gives you more room to manoeuvre. :) 

3 hours ago, bikeperson45 said:

Yep, stop bike blaming and get practising :P

2 hours ago, Alex Dark said:

Pickup in the air.

not blaming bike just didnt know if a 108 click freewheel will help more then a 60 click one. when weather drys up bit will be making a gap in back garden with the pallets i have. would running lower psi in rear tyre help also??? going try everything you have all said and see how i get on. thanks for the help 

Try filming yourself. Typically what you think you are doing and what you are actually doing are very different.  If you know what a good pedal kick should look like you can watch and pretty quickly figure out what you need to do better.

If your brave you can even post it and ask for criticism.

17 hours ago, cwtrials said:

Try filming yourself. Typically what you think you are doing and what you are actually doing are very different.  If you know what a good pedal kick should look like you can watch and pretty quickly figure out what you need to do better.

If your brave you can even post it and ask for criticism.

mite do that and try slow mo it if i can then can see what im doing and not doing 

• Like 1

i'm fairly confident damon watson used to harp on about the 60 click freewheels being ideal; enough EPs to perform but not so much material removed or fineness of movements required so they are very reliable. you'll notice an uptick to a 108, but i use a 72 (eno) and a 108 (jitsie) and i can't really discern much difference (been at this for 11 years and i ride to a standard i'd call 'non-embarrasing')

Some time ago I went over to a 17T 108 Bonz freewheel. It felt like something was badly wrong. Counted 72 engagement points :P  Replaced it for a Jitsie 108 and that feels absolutely brilliant now (it's a fantastic freewheel BTW). 

I guess this will differ between riders and especially riding styles but personally I find there to be a huge gap between the 72 and 108. In fact, for the first few minutes after switching to the 108 I was putting too much rotation into the rear wheel on gaps. But where it really comes into play is if you limit the use of brakes through balance and drivetrain load. You want to be able to operate the drivetrain as finely as possible and it's so much easier with 108 engagements.

23 hours ago, Greetings said:

Some time ago I went over to a 17T 108 Bonz freewheel. It felt like something was badly wrong. Counted 72 engagement points :P  Replaced it for a Jitsie 108 and that feels absolutely brilliant now (it's a fantastic freewheel BTW). 

I guess this will differ between riders and especially riding styles but personally I find there to be a huge gap between the 72 and 108. In fact, for the first few minutes after switching to the 108 I was putting too much rotation into the rear wheel on gaps. But where it really comes into play is if you limit the use of brakes through balance and drivetrain load. You want to be able to operate the drivetrain as finely as possible and it's so much easier with 108 engagements.

see that the freewheel i wnt to get. im finding it hard to do gaps i did when had a stock echo with chris king rear hub. thats why thinking a 108 click free wheel wud help more then a 60 click