26inch Marino - Old School Looks - New School Geometry-ish

Miles Mallinson WTV

Marino.thumb.jpg.f73db99f5fd10d7698518ba2bc4ea313.jpg

Got myself my first ever brand new trials frame a few weeks back! Cheers to Ross McArthur for the delivery and of course Marino himself.

Been riding a Hex for the past couple of years and never really liked its shape, rode nice but the non rear disc was a bit off putting also could have done with shorter chain stays. Had a Pashley 26Mhz for years as well, loved its looks and the feel of the steel.

So I wanted a kind of mix between old school looks and new school-ish geometry. Seat tube length is probably not to everyone's taste's but its mint for having a wee seat on and is in keeping with the whole old school thing.

She's not totally finished still not got round to getting a bashring sorted yet and could do with a few more silver bits.

Boring I know but spec is as follows:

Frame/Forks: Marino 26inch, integrated seatclamp, rear disc, horizontal dropouts, standard headtube, 73mm bb.

Bars: Inspired Arcade Risers

Headset: Hope (that has lasted forever, had for about 5 years never changed the bearings (Y))

Stem: Trialtech 90mm x 25 deg

Grips: Lizard skins Danny Macs

Brakes: Deore front 203mm rotor - Zee back 180mm rotor (will get a 203mm rotor for the rear at some point)

Cranks: Old SLX (that have lasted forever) 22t Chainring 17t Sprocket

Pedals: Old Superstars (that have lasted forever)

Chain: Some old KMC sketch piece

Wheels: DMR DeeVee rims, Hope Pro 2 Hub, Chosen Rear Hub

Tyres: DMR Moto 2.4s 

Saddle: Inspired Pivotal with post

Was meant to get a few clips to go with this post but weather has been rubbish. Will update this once I've got some nice ones.

I reckon Marshley is a good name for her. Gonna get a proper metal head badge made also.

11328038_10207701344239460_1851843024_o.thumb.jpg.f34165accb67ccb4ae48e8d29cbae029.jpg

Edited by Miles Mallinson WTV
  • Like 5

Ahhh, your rotor arm is blocking it making it look skinny! You should be fine then. I can't help but panic and spread the word when I see a skinny adaptor. Saying that...those calipers are notoriously weaker than the older ones.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ali C said:

loving the frame proportions! 

Did you go with 385mm chainstays? That's the same length as the Hex was.

I think that was an old geo photo should be 380mm, its dead tight with the 2.4 tyre. Scares me slightly

1 hour ago, John Shrewsbury said:

Similar geo to my Marino, would like to see more pictures in colour.

May have taken some inspiration from yours ;) aye will pop some more photos up, it's not the most colourful of builds though

• 1 month later...