Help With 203mm Rotors

David Biddle™

Hello there

I need a bit of help/info on using 203mm rotors at the moment im running 180 front and 180 back they seem ok but just don't have enough bite/power.

I don't normally run discs always been running maguras so i'm still a little new to discs what are the pros and cons on using 203mm rotors.

My setup at the moment 

Inspired frame, magura mt2 brakes, standard pads and hope trial disc rotors 

Cheers for any help/info

David.

Edited by David Biddle™

Typically moving to a larger rotor on an otherwise unchanged setup will give you more power/bite, but is a little harsher on parts as a result. So long as the larger rotor will physically fit the frame ok then the Inspired should be meaty enough to hack it without any concerns, though you may experience a little more spoke flex depending on how sturdy your wheelbuilds are.

The MT2s are a reasonable enough entry level brake and a larger rotor/aftermarket pads may be enough to beef them up for some casual use, but if you still find them lacking then it may be time to look at moving up the range a little (Y)

Magura EBC Red or magura Trialtech pads are a good choice of brake pads for extra bite. Also if you go too a 203mm rotor, it would be best to upgrade the rear brake adaptor to a much fatter one to take the strain off the bite and flex. It because a lot of people have broken there calipers from upgrading too larger rotors. This type will help https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B073VR6J79/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1502361194&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Hayes+203mm+rear+adapter&dpPl=1&dpID=417uGY%2BLmsL&ref=plSrch

Edited by John Shrewsbury

On 10/08/2017 at 9:02 AM, Luke Rainbird said:

Typically moving to a larger rotor on an otherwise unchanged setup will give you more power/bite, but is a little harsher on parts as a result. So long as the larger rotor will physically fit the frame ok then the Inspired should be meaty enough to hack it without any concerns, though you may experience a little more spoke flex depending on how sturdy your wheelbuilds are.

The MT2s are a reasonable enough entry level brake and a larger rotor/aftermarket pads may be enough to beef them up for some casual use, but if you still find them lacking then it may be time to look at moving up the range a little (Y)

Cheers Luke for the info yeah the brake works fine and then it's is there just seems to be lacking a little so I might go down the road of different pads and new adapters and rotors.

22 hours ago, John Shrewsbury said:

Magura EBC Red or magura Trialtech pads are a good choice of brake pads for extra bite. Also if you go too a 203mm rotor, it would be best to upgrade the rear brake adaptor to a much fatter one to take the strain off the bite and flex. It because a lot of people have broken there calipers from upgrading too larger rotors. This type will help https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B073VR6J79/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1502361194&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Hayes+203mm+rear+adapter&dpPl=1&dpID=417uGY%2BLmsL&ref=plSrch

Cheers john that was gonna be my next question was pads and I think I'm gonna go down the road of EBC reds and cheers for the link on the adapters gone and ordered two now just for rotors.

59 minutes ago, David Biddle™ said:

Cheers Luke for the info yeah the brake works fine and then it's is there just seems to be lacking a little so I might go down the road of different pads and new adapters and rotors.

Cheers john that was gonna be my next question was pads and I think I'm gonna go down the road of EBC reds and cheers for the link on the adapters gone and ordered two now just for rotors.

No problem, also with many magura calipers they don't come with this threaded pad pin to stop the pads rocking. http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/191710530976?_mwBanner=1 this will fit magura as well as the standard Shimano calipers.

3 hours ago, John Shrewsbury said:

No problem, also with many magura calipers they don't come with this threaded pad pin to stop the pads rocking. http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/191710530976?_mwBanner=1 this will fit magura as well as the standard Shimano calipers.

Cheers again John i did notice there was a fair bit of play in the pads i didn't realise that it could be solved by change of pin 

1 hour ago, Greetings said:

Try the Jitsie Race MT2 brake pads. They should "add" 20mm to your rotor size easily. Stock MT2 pads are pretty wank to be honest. 

I was looking at them i might go with them then also i agree with you on the standard pads they are rubbish 

Cheers again for the help all these years riding trials i thought i had it all clued up and then trying discs has taken me by surprise.

Dave 

+1 on the Jitsie pads (which are the same compound as the Clean and Trialtech pads). No need to run 203mm rotors. I even went "back" to EBC redstuff pads on the front (180mm) because the Trialtech were too much (with my 810 saints).

14 hours ago, niconj said:

I didn't but Ben Travis also only rides 180mm rotors with Magura MT6 stock pads.

I think Ben prefers to run that setup to have less sensitive braking. I rode with him a few weeks back in Bristol and he said he didn't mind the setup but when I had a go on his bike I preferred more locking power on the rear brake compared to his being less. 4piston calipers will always give you a better lock. But I also went back too 2piston on a cheap pair of Shimano deore brakes myself. Only  thing I did was make the setup on them as best as I could. Taped out the pin holder for the pads so I could put a threaded one in to stop the rocking of the pads and fit Red EBC pads. There was more sensitive braking on the front brake as it's on the back of the fork which was great and perfect but you could feel the difference compared too the rear as there's not so much.  As long as you get a FAT rear brake adapter just incase you snap a Caliper while running large rotors, 203mm magura or Shimano one, and pads of your choice (mine have always been EBC off eBay) then it will all work. :)

• Like 1