boom unicorn bike build is GO!!!!

pedaladdiction

So i finally got my hands on my dream bike from when i was a spotty teenager growing up riding trials! And to say its in good condition is an understatement pretty stoked right now and excited to start collecting bits.

I've been following my dreams and ticking a few things off the last few years one being starting my own mtb specific shop based in norwich 2 1/2 years ago which is going well so figured it was time to find my unicorn bike

20915176_10154991587040914_5750420640905

frame number is T7092 which from the pace serial numbers thread over on retro bike is already on there previously owned by spitoon

i'm planning on a period correct build using as near mint parts as i can source which i know is going to take some time and effort and eventually this will hang somewhere in my house pride of place! 

anyone able to help me identify if its a 98 or 99 model as i want the correct forks to match but the later 99 model i believe had slightly different crown to the 98 version.

if anyone has anything kicking about that they think would be suitable for the build then please comment or get in touch. I do have a few bits already and a few wishlist parts which are listed below but i'm open to other ideas if people have something suitable

GOT
Middleburn rs7's 
roox dannys frd stem
Chris king ti headset
mavic d521 cd ceramic rims
pace carbon front hub

WANTED
pace rc30t trials forks 98 or 99 tbc?
brakes? hope disc c2's sport levers?
azonic double wall bars?
irc el gato tyres?
grips?
roox seatpost
x lite crank caps and brake blanking bits?
saddle?

If anyone has any extra info that would be awesome going to drop pace an email see if they can help in any way with anything also

Cheers guys

• Like 3

Nice! That's not the late one (too big) that Trialskings and Akrigg ended up on so might be a '98. I think you'd want the RC30 forks (not T), the later ones with the neater cnc crown. But be aware the legs are long! I cut a good 20mm off mine and they were lovely.

pace_rc30_2_144.thumb.jpg.b0ce9a7553963c9827832958c8f1d85b.jpg

These aren't as nice but might match the finish of yours better....

a9019b8b74b348d466afd3a5c4eb8321.jpg.905e99e4f0495fa8e474af271893798c.jpg

I remember Akrigg's one with an Azonic shorty stem and double wall bars. basically everything silver.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, LEON said:

Nice! That's not the late one (too big) that Trialskings and Akrigg ended up on so might be a '98. I think you'd want the RC30 forks (not T), the later ones with the neater cnc crown. But be aware the legs are long! I cut a good 20mm off mine and they were lovely.

pace_rc30_2_144.thumb.jpg.b0ce9a7553963c9827832958c8f1d85b.jpg

These aren't as nice but might match the finish of yours better....

a9019b8b74b348d466afd3a5c4eb8321.jpg.905e99e4f0495fa8e474af271893798c.jpg

I remember Akrigg's one with an Azonic shorty stem and double wall bars. basically everything silver.

i believe from the catalogue images i have seen the rc30t forks are correct to go with my frame but there were 2 slightly different versions from 98 to 99. after that there were a later set which were welded which went with the later powder coated red frame

15 hours ago, pedaladdiction said:

So i finally got my hands on my dream bike from when i was a spotty teenager growing up riding trials! And to say its in good condition is an understatement pretty stoked right now and excited to start collecting bits.

I've been following my dreams and ticking a few things off the last few years one being starting my own mtb specific shop based in norwich 2 1/2 years ago which is going well so figured it was time to find my unicorn bike

20915176_10154991587040914_5750420640905

frame number is T7092 which from the pace serial numbers thread over on retro bike is already on there previously owned by spitoon

i'm planning on a period correct build using as near mint parts as i can source which i know is going to take some time and effort and eventually this will hang somewhere in my house pride of place! 

anyone able to help me identify if its a 98 or 99 model as i want the correct forks to match but the later 99 model i believe had slightly different crown to the 98 version.

if anyone has anything kicking about that they think would be suitable for the build then please comment or get in touch. I do have a few bits already and a few wishlist parts which are listed below but i'm open to other ideas if people have something suitable

GOT
Middleburn rs7's 
roox dannys frd stem
Chris king ti headset
mavic d521 cd ceramic rims
pace carbon front hub

WANTED
pace rc30t trials forks 98 or 99 tbc?
brakes? hope disc c2's sport levers?
azonic double wall bars?
irc el gato tyres?
grips?
roox seatpost
x lite crank caps and brake blanking bits?
saddle?

If anyone has any extra info that would be awesome going to drop pace an email see if they can help in any way with anything also

Cheers guys

What shop do you run in Norwich also try Mark Anthony Bikes Direct (Buxton) they used to deal a lot of older trials stuff middleburn hubs, planet x frames etc it might be worth a shot ringing them and seeing if they have any of that stuff in the storage/warehouse.

There also used to be a shop in derby that had a lot of older stuff like base, mk2 ashton frames i just carnt think of the name at the moment when it comes to me ill edit my post.

Biddle.

17 hours ago, pedaladdiction said:

Yours looks mint!

Recently I salvaged my own one from the back of my parents garage (where it'd been for about 12 years). This one was ridden by Chris Akrigg and then Danny Holroyd (who sold it to me). Unfortunately it's cracked around the bottom bracket so needs some repair work and then a good polishing, but I intend to build it up with parts from the era which I'm collecting slowly. Mine has a few differences like disk mount on top of the seat stay, internal headset and (as far as I can see) no serial number.

It would be interesting to hear if Pace have anything to say.

rc250.thumb.jpg.eb5d35b2e513e82d32b0ee941ff4dafc.jpg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Tony Harrison said:

Yours looks mint!

Recently I salvaged my own one from the back of my parents garage (where it'd been for about 12 years). This one was ridden by Chris Akrigg and then Danny Holroyd (who sold it to me). Unfortunately it's cracked around the bottom bracket so needs some repair work and then a good polishing, but I intend to build it up with parts from the era which I'm collecting slowly. Mine has a few differences like disk mount on top of the seat stay, internal headset and (as far as I can see) no serial number.

It would be interesting to hear if Pace have anything to say.

rc250.thumb.jpg.eb5d35b2e513e82d32b0ee941ff4dafc.jpg

wow thats very cool must be a prototype model??

• 1 month later...
On 25/09/2017 at 7:14 PM, pedaladdiction said:

anybody got a set of old pace forks suitable for this kicking about anywhere? knew i'd struggle to find some but not this much usually someone hiding some in an attic haha

Did you even look?

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2215628/

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2230272/

These don't look too shabby either; but not Pace. https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2252771/

• 4 months later...