When to measure spoke tension? Before or after inflation?

Mr_Orange

So i looked this up and most people say spoke tension should decrease after inflation because the tire pushes the spokes inward towards the hub and that you should get the rim to the right tension uninflated.

Mines did the exact opposite. Spokes got tighter after wheel inflation.

First time i built it, i tensioned it to 80kg (max recommended for my rim). Trued it and then got it all to equal tensioned. Stressed the spokes a bunch. Rode it a few times. Nothing crazy. Wheel seemed fine. 

Then, after noticing the tension was actually tighter (about 15kg tigher, a quarter turn per spoke) when inflated, I decided to loosen each spoke by a quarter notch until spokes were down to the recommended 80kg when inflated. Stressed the spokes some more after that and rode for a bit

After doing this 180, the spokes started to make popping/creaking noises and kept doing so. This wasn't the case after the first ride session.

So should i have kept it at the previous tighter setting where it was at 80kg uninflated?

Here's the thing though... I built a weird wheel with half titanium spokes on the inside and half steel spokes on the outside. I saw this Matt Coplon bike check: http://www.vitalbmx.com/photos/member/Matt-Coplons-Custom-Bike,46040/Matt-Coplon-and-His-Custom-Bike,130541/Karl-Poynter,55711

I've since been told this was a dumb/pointless idea... Too late, already bought/built everything. Is this what cause the spokes to get tighter after inflation though..?

This was my first wheel build with a truing stand. I medium tensioned it, then lateral true, dishing, radial true, tensioned it, and then stressed it. Here's my parts:

- Hashtagg front rim: https://www.tartybikes.co.uk/20_inch_rims/hashtagg_front_20_inch/c26p13027.html

- Jitsie race front hub

- trialtech sport lite fork

-Maxxis grifter tire

Wheel seems fine other then the noise? Any suggestions?

The clicking will be the spokes unwinding and "clicking" into place. The spokes will slightly twist when tightening/loosening, flexing the wheel at the end of the build eases the tension for a moment and lets the nipple twist back to position. It can be hard to fully do this if it's a stiff wheel so don't worry about it too much. You can always re-check the tension if they've made a LOT of noise.
 Actually just re-read what you said. The clicking could be the spokes...Ti is more elastic than steel so there could be some movement between them causing the noise. some oil on the contacting spokes would tell if this was true.

Not too sure about the tighter spokes when tensioned, perhaps the rim profile is acting like a cantilever...the tyre could be pushing on the rim beads pushing them outwards causing the centre of the rim to be pulled up? Would make sense in my head if it's a single walled rim. I wouldn't get too anal about spoke tension, you're probably right to keep it under the rims load but it'd probably be ok. I've never checked a rims max loading weight and I always get the spokes as tight as I can and I've not had any issues (mainly Spank rims though which are pretty tough! I perhaps wouldn't go as tight on lighter weight stuff)

Half ti spokes doesn't seem like a great idea...ti spokes are notoriously weak and have more stretch than steel spokes possibly making the wheel go out of tru easier...just speculation though. Either way Ti spokes don't save all that much really, not enough to make the risk of snapping one higher as well as the costs.

I

12 hours ago, Ali C said:

Not too sure about the tighter spokes when tensioned, perhaps the rim profile is acting like a cantilever...the tyre could be pushing on the rim beads pushing them outwards causing the centre of the rim to be pulled up? Would make sense in my head if it's a single walled rim. 

you, i was thinking it's got to be something with this particular type of rim design. I wonder if this is a good or bad thing for the strength of the rim that tire pressure increase tension.

Tension does seem to be the same throughout still. I'll stick with this for a few days and see if the noise goes away.

Hopefully the ti would hold up for a bit. I usually only break spokes in the back, and I don't ride as hard as matt coplon or even some people with full ti wheels.

Edited by Mr_Orange