Old Fart starting (what will work?)

InTokyo

I'm intent on starting to learn some basic trials moves. I never rode BMX or skated; did a bit of MTB back in the nineties, now commute by road bike so have basic fitness (ride 150km a week on average), 6'2, 83kgs.

I live in Japan where everything seems extortionate as far as bikes go; to date I've seen zero trials bikes on sale though today spotted a bare frame of MBK T-1000 for a stunning JPY36k.....was thinking that maybe I could start on a BMX - is that a possibility? Sure I'd love  to order something brand spanking from Tarty Bikes but usually skint, so a cheap crappy BMX might suffice for a novice?

Any other advice or tips? Cheers

Edited by InTokyo

bmx won't have many trialsy benefits to learning on other than you will be able to bash it. the geometry and weight will be all wrong, you'll spend a fortune on getting the brakes okay and a bashplate to protect your front end but it'll be a pig to learn with and wont necessarily translate to riding a trials bike well. £250 for a trials frame is about right (google says 36k jpy is about 250) 

can you got get a cheap complete on ali express? my cartography is shit but you shouldn't fair to badly on postage in japan from them...