Khota bikes

Guillermo  M.

2 minutes ago, Rusevelt said:

Curious how that steering column design works.

It's literally identical to any other modern headset, jsut with the stem mounted between the bearings rather than above.

The real question is why the f**k they thought it was a good idea to do that, then run a fugly bar/stem setup that negates the whole thing. I guess they ran out of stuff on their "things to make shit" list

From a strictly mechanical point of view, could having the stem mounted there result in a stiffness increase between stem and bike? (Assuming both were using the same bar/stem combination - for argument's sake let's say a regular 165x35 stem and carbon riser bars.
The platform (steerer) being held fast on both sides of the lever (stem), rather than it having one end loose, with a bloody great stem/bar combo as leverage feels like maybe it would??
I appreciate they mount pretty much touching the top bearing these days, and that the steerer is probably stiffer than the stem clamp anyway, but still.
I don't know engineering well enough but in my head it seems like that could reduce some small amount of flex.

...And if it does, would it be an actual, measurable amount, or technically true but of negligible value?

Just curious.

On 18/09/2017 at 6:54 PM, aener said:

technically true but of negligible value

This, mostly. There'll theoretically be a touch more stiffness, but it'd be negligible and introduce a number of negatives (0% chance of barspins, 100% chance of looking like a knob).

Bearing (sorry) in mind the considerably longer lever with a wheel on the end of it which also gets subjected to nasty forces and survives just fine, there's unlikely to be any major issue with running a stem on top, particularly so close to the upper headset as you've already mentioned. Besides, top mounting allows for a shorter, lighter stem to put the bar in the same relative position, where as centre mounting (if you catch my drift) requires a stem with much more rise to be used. Unless of course you wanted to go back to something long, low and silver and run 0* stems below the level of the top of the headset. Throw on some Carthy-angle for Pr0Skilz.

• Like 1

For a kids bike I can see it being good as it stops the chances of jack-knifing if you turn too much, and removes something for kids to hit their knees on, but for everything else it seems kind of pointless.

Intrigued how the headset stays tight though?  Usually you'd have the clamp on the stem keeping things in place, but I'd have thought with nothing there it'd be more prone to loosening off?