Anyone have experience of riding in London?

Kieron94

Hi All - New here, looking to buy a trials bike again for the first time in a while! 

Does anyone have any experience of riding in London? In the sense that I don't have a car and riding to different spots via the bike lanes on the roads would be pretty awful on a trials bike! Ok to ride on the path?

Thanks!

I had no issues riding around in London, there are bike lanes in certain areas but you can get away with riding on the roads or the footpaths. Traffic is always congested and slow, for the most part. You can take bikes on trains during certain times of day but only when the train is above ground. Check TFL, they have a journey planner for people who wish to take bikes.

Plenty of spots to ride too, there is a group on facebook if you are looking for people to ride with.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/691675010843613/

Lastly Finsbury Park is awesome, definetely worth checking out.

mod or stock? debating selling one and I'm in London (Chingford) you can take a bike on the underground if you dismantle it and fit in on a backpack, I do so with a 26 and 20 and it's only a problem during rush hour...

From my time in London, bikes on the underground depends on whether the stations have step access or not.  There are lines which you were fine on (Hammersmith & City, District and Circle lines being a few of them as far as I can remember - used to take the train to get to Bay66 from South Bank way), but then others you weren't.  It is time dependent too though as Ogre says.

Cutting about London is fine on trials bikes though.  You can usually breeze along in the bus lane or cycle lane if there is one, but I'd occasionally go on the pavement too.  Typically though it's so busy there you're better off just sticking to the roads and keeping your eyes peeled.  For the most part traffic's never really moving that quickly in central so you can make some moves through traffic without too many problems.

So many spots to ride too!  You'll have a lot of fun :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ogre said:

mod or stock? debating selling one and I'm in London (Chingford) you can take a bike on the underground if you dismantle it and fit in on a backpack, I do so with a 26 and 20 and it's only a problem during rush hour...

Preferably a stock, I used to have an Onza T-Bird and T-Pro so only ridden a mod, but think that as I'm a 23 now and was 14/15 then I'll prefer the bigger bike. Do you have any pictures which you can send over and price you are looking for?

Must be a big back pack??