Want to learn Barspins? Here's how I did it. (on an Inspired)

Max F

Hi guys, I haven't been on the forums for a while but now I have something to share that some of you might be interested in.

It's my first Youtube video and it's about learning Barspins. It shows my learning process and I also found a neat little trick that made them almost easy for me.

I hope it helps some of you. And feel free to leave your feedback here, but don't be too harsh, it's my first one ;) 

Edited by Max F
  • Like 6

good work! solid barspin and video :)

I don't pinch my seat when I try them but I do pinch my cranks, my main issue is my throwing hand, I have trouble getting it to a good position to catch the bars again, I've come as close as it's physically possible to land them without actually landing them just because my hand doesn't grab the bar (my brakeless video where I tried barspins were not my best efforts) I don't seem to have much issues with my feet...throwing the bars later so you and the bike are falling seems to keep the feet under control.

57 minutes ago, Ali C said:

good work! solid barspin and video :)

I don't pinch my seat when I try them but I do pinch my cranks, my main issue is my throwing hand, I have trouble getting it to a good position to catch the bars again, I've come as close as it's physically possible to land them without actually landing them just because my hand doesn't grab the bar (my brakeless video where I tried barspins were not my best efforts) I don't seem to have much issues with my feet...throwing the bars later so you and the bike are falling seems to keep the feet under control.

Cheers!

Have you ever tried to bunnyhop, pinch the bike/cranks/seat, then let go of the bars and land without hands on? (keeping the bike clamped even while rolling away) Before I was able to do that I rolled my ankle three times when trying to dial in barspins without clamping the seat.
I really think if you'd learn that and practice it until you're confident (3 or 4 sessions for me), you'll get into a safe position that will allow you to just chuck the bars and land one after like 1 to 3 attempts, even if you don't throw and catch them perfectly or your wheel lands sideways, you are just gonna stay on the bike anyways. I probably should have emphasised that even more when explaining it at the end of the video.

Your throwing technique looked good to me from what I've seen in the vlogs :P
The most important thing for getting the throwing hand back on, for me, was to make it follow the grip around and come back on from the front. The pedal on the knee really helped with learning that.

Edited by Max F