What happened to trials?

Al_Fel

What’s happened to trials? This sport has done so much for me. I’ve had amazing times made life long friends and learnt countless new skills on and off the bike.

i just wanted to see what people had to say about trials. Is it still popular? Has social media spread it too thin?

This was the place to go back in the day with hundreds of memebers online daily and so much to talk about. It just seems to be really quiet here now.

42 minutes ago, Al_Fel said:

social media spread it too thin

This.

No proper community feel about things anymore. Trials is a small sport, and when we were all gathered either here or on OTN the community came together really well. Ok, it meant a higher number of bellends to deal with too but I'd take that over the ghost town any day. A local FB page for each area and some instagrams seem to be where things have gone now, which on the face of it is fine but doesn't do much for that vibe we once had.

That, plus we're all old and boring now.

• Like 9

I've also noticed this also. Before I stopped trials back in 2008 it was still growing, Never thought trials would be this quiet! I've only been back on since near to the end of the year of 2016

I remember back then the Members organised rides section was non stop it had a ride somewhere almost every weekend. I have to say I miss the massive group rides that I had gone to such as Reading, Bristol and Oxford!

Oak

Edited by Oak T
  • Like 1

It’s crazy because I personally saw trials as the first “internet” sport. Virtually everyone who rode was on here and there was a sense of comuinity. Big rides all over the country got arranged and everyone seemed to get on “in person” haha I know I ruffled plenty of feathers online but I was never met with hostility on actual rides and I’d like to say I was never nasty to anyone too!

While trials may or may not have died down a bit in the last 10-15 years, I really think facebook  / instagram have taken away from the presence on the forum.  Most people (including myself) are face book friends or instagram followers with all sorts of trials riders, removing the "need" to come here.  There are some pro's and cons to a lot of it.

• Like 2

Agreed with the above.

I used to love organising big group rides and knowing that the Leeds 11am granite walls meet up on a Sunday you'd always have at least a few people there. Had some incredible times but sadly it's just died down thanks to facebook and insta etc.

• Like 1

I used to feel the same way, but since embracing it all a bit more there's a good community out there (including riders from around the world though, rather than just the UK), and it's possible to see more footage from riders you wouldn't ordinarily see much of.  I've discovered a whole host of riders who I'd never have heard of otherwise, and it seems that there are great riders putting out some good clips from all over the world now.  Covers both styles too - I'd never heard of Joacim Nymann until I found his Instagram account, and similarly I'd never heard of Sintaro Otake either.  It seems like it's given some of the bigger 'pro' riders more of an outlet to put stuff out too - Carthy's posted some wild stuff on Instagram/Facebook, as has Danny MacAskill.

The general community seems reasonably good on there too, people commenting on each others posts and stuff - it's not the same as a forum, but I think that's more due to this being a relatively dated format now.

There are still little group rides going on too - nothing massive, but still groups of friends meeting up and riding which is kind of the point.  Works for me anyway - that style of ride suits me much more than standing around for ages at average spots waiting for the queues of people sidehopping the same walls they always sidehop to filter through...

• Like 6

Like all sports bike trials is consistantly evolving and as others have said it is a shame that the forum has gone so quiet. I used to spend a lot of time on here and really enjoying the community we had. I thought perhaps i was just out the loop now but it seems the forum has died somewhat. Things tend not to move backwards so it unlikely to get any better on here. That said i will endevour to follow the progress of the sport through other sources and as Mark said dicover other riders etc.

Its a good question all in all. I've rode for over a decade now and trials has never died. It always grows to be honest. Social media has in fact made it more noticeable but because each individual rider chooses their own social media platform, forums like this do go quiet but trials definitely isn't dead.

Its amazing that trials is so varied now. We still have a great street scene ( Inspired type riding ) and also there are a few guys still banging out some excellent TGS stuff (Adam Baxter etc). I don't see much natural stuff anymore I guess which is a shame but that was my favourite sort of riding so I would be biased.

Best thing about trials at the moment is everyone has settled into a section of the sport they are happy with....just cracking on doing their own thing. 

• Like 2

How?  Did it stop you being able to buy 'normal' trials parts?  Did it stop you going out and riding your bike?  Did it stop comps happening?

The only thing lazier than dropping out statements like that are the people who don't try and organise group rides then complain there are no group rides...

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ben_travis said:

Michael, Michael, Michael....-_-

knew you would appreciate it :P,

I was just looking for a bite, but on a serious note, 

Trials used to have loads of competitions (granted their is still UCI trials on the go etc) but there were far more local competitions.
(Ben you will remember the ones that used to be in Fort Augustus back in the day as an example)

Koxx days was an event where everyone wanted to go /the majority of riders wanted to go.

Natural riding was the main focus for big events other than group rides. Now the events are more street orientated. Big square ledges/boxes. 

Street riding has become more and more popular (it happened before 24" was a thing granted) but a lot of the riders have transferred to the street/bmx/"trials" scene that exists these days compared to what i would personally class as trials.

If that makes sense

As for the "did it stop you buying trials parts" well actually, it probably had some affect on the amount of products which were out there if you want to be technical about it. Companies would have started investing in 24" components/design etc.

Look at how many brands there were under Deng, all of which had their own components, when did this volume of products start to decrease..........

7 minutes ago, Synergy said:

knew you would appreciate it :P,

I was just looking for a bite, but on a serious note, 

Trials used to have loads of competitions (granted their is still UCI trials on the go etc) but there were far more local competitions.

Come on! The Scottish series had a full set of rounds this year, and has done since the Fort Augustus days. There's a British series as well as Tyke Trials, so if anything there are more competitions? The sections are mostly always natural too... I know you've been out the game for a while dude but that doesn't mean ill let you off the hook for talking shite.

As for the range of parts...Out goes Deng and in comes Jitsie etc etc. Still the same amount of variation, whether you like it or not.

• Like 1

24” saved trials! 

They give a far easier route into the sport rather than slapping out all the cash for a funny looking bike that can’t be ridden anywhere. 

I’ve seen a big surge of new riders in the last few years and most of them get a streety style bike to try the sport out, comps have died down but I’d say that was due to the nature of social media making street riding in a city look more appealing than driving for hours to pay to ride on a hillside. Not to diss comps as they’re a great way to get a lot of skills that’ll help every rider but you’ve got to admit that to the masses they’re more confusing and time consuming than just messaging your mates on fb and riding your local town.

I don’t think anything’s killed trials, it’s just evolved with the times. If you want to do comps they’re still around, want some in your area? Put the work in and organise them. 

Forums are getting dated these days too, I don’t use any forum other than here and mostly talk to/organise things with social media. The lack of posts here don’t represent the strength of trials as a sport.  

• Like 12

Does anybody else think that kids are taking part in less sports in general? Bloke at work was saying how local football clubs are struggling for numbers as teens would rather just play fifa on xbox. I do about 50% trials and 50% mountain biking and the majority of riders i see riding mountain bikes are in their 30s and 40s, i don't often see teens at all.

I'm 26 and usually only get out riding twice at week for an hour or so as work gets in the way. Teens have all the time in the world but most have just become lazy in this day of smart phones etc. where everything comes instantly. It takes a lot of dedication to just become very average at trials. The ratio of effort/reward just isn't high enough to keep most teens interested.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

Come on! The Scottish series had a full set of rounds this year, and has done since the Fort Augustus days. There's a British series as well as Tyke Trials, so if anything there are more competitions? The sections are mostly always natural too... I know you've been out the game for a while dude but that doesn't mean ill let you off the hook for talking shite.

As for the range of parts...Out goes Deng and in comes Jitsie etc etc. Still the same amount of variation, whether you like it or not.

Not at all, there used to be quite a few competitions up our way but that has died down. There were always loads of competitions down south just most of us couldnt justify travelling to them (at that age we didnt drive or were just starting to drive etc).

Im not saying there are NO competitions, im just saying there are less....

Yeah i get jitsie, clean, crewkerz have all come in, but id still argue there were far more brands back in the day.

Echo - still here
Zoo - no longer
Czar (now 24" i believe)
GU - Still here
Adamant - no longer made

These were all full ranges of components and frames where as now they are just one full build or frame.

Not forgetting all the others that are no longer here
Koxx - full series of bikes and parts.

You can argue that there are other brands out there but they dont make the amount of components that the previous ones did.

Inspired for example. most are custom specs or built with trialtech & mountain bike components for example.

100% no way there is the same amount of components out there.....

Edited by Synergy

Id also agree with what peter and ali have said.

Forums have died down massively. Most places are facebook groups now, the only forum ive used that is still very much active is the MLR forum.

Kids are 100% staying in more and gaming these days instead of being outside and active unfortunately. Also money could play a part in it - there are cheap bikes for sure but the cost of living has gone up considerably, my first trials bike was a t-pro at £420 i believe, i dont think many familys would spend that on a kid just starting out

Edited by Synergy
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Synergy said:

24" happened and ruined trials.....

No no no no, quite the opposite. 24" provided a way into trials that was much more natural for lots of people. Mountain bikers and BMXers could look at the bikes and relate to it in a way. It looks more like their bikes so that are more enclined to buy one. As for the 'traditional' style. That was completely alien to those guys, they looked completely bonkers and just we're not as functional so BMX and MTB guys were not as interested. 24" has brought so many new people to trials, and has defiantly played a huge part in making it more well known thanks to social media. All the 'traditional' bikes are still out there, there is just lots more 24" in the sport. Which is AMAZING!