Courier lost my parcel

Mikee

A courier company has lost a reasonably high value parcel of mine and I need some advice. And knowing that trials-forum is full of highly educated gentlemen, this is where I will turn first.

I have never had a parcel go missing before and I fear that they are not going to pay out. Even though it was sent via a signed for, insured, next day service, I know that they will try to weasel out of it.

Contacting them has been a real pain in the ass. All their phone lines are automated, with no useful options. I have had no response from their contact forms on their website. The only contact I have had with them is via Twitter and they have finally given me an email address where I can direct my claim. So I can tell that whatever the outcome, this is going to be a slow process. 

Should I also be contacting the police, trading standards or anybody like that?

It generally goes one of two ways with things like this; either they sort you out relatively quickly and painlessly, or they're a real PITA.

My old man recently had to return an item he'd bought (power inverter for a campervan, thrilling...). Booked himself a courier, collected fine, fully insured (~£350 IIRC) and picked up the next day. Happy days all round.
It didn't ever arrive at the destination, despite having their address in large print on 3 sides. Tracking showed it having been collected, then literally NOTHING else. Cue initially polite emails/calls asking for confirmation of it's progress/location, getting no reply, escalating things slightly with all their internal procedures (similarly involving hard to reach phone lines and a few automated email replies). They did absolutely everything in their power to wiggle out of it, and then finally paid out so stick with it.

Karma's a bitch really - a few days after they'd issued the refund, the package turned up back at the office he'd sent it from. 3 massive delivery addresses and they couldn't figure it out, yet one small print "Sender: " line and it came home.

Booked another courier that day and 24hrs later all was right with the world again.

Sadly there's not really anyone you can forward things onto at the moment, just keep hounding them and you'll get there in the end. Seriously though, become the biggest pain in their ass you can. Make them want to do anything to get rid of you, and hope they don't hire a hitman.

• Like 2

They'll pay up to the value of their insurance or the value of the product (if you've got proof of purchase and all that jazz) - whichever's lowest.  

You wouldn't really get anywhere with police/trading standards I wouldn't have thought - it's just a parcel going missing which could theoretically happen for any number of reasons, and theoretically that's why you'd put insurance on it to correctly cover your item in the first place.

Hopefully you get something sorted though (Y)

False alarm! After over a week of the buyer not replying to my messages, it turns out that he has received it and it must be a tracking error on UK Mail's system. Big sigh of relief!

So I guess I can keep his money and get UK Mail insurance money? Haha!

• Like 2

I've noticed the last few times I've used tracking systems they either don't keep up or don't register at all. I had a parcel from the USA about a month ago and that still displays as in transit. I don't know if it's a seasonal thing and the system can't keep up with the extra Christmas mail.

• 2 years later...