Differences in Hex models

SebJT

Hi everyone!

I'm thinking of buying a Hex so that I can effectively combine my Koxx Levelboxx and Specialized P1 into one "do it all" fun bike. I've been out of the trials scene for about 10 years and getting back into doing a bit of riding. I've always preferred natural/pure trials but I picked up the P1 for £75 on Gumtree after a new skate park opened locally and it been fun riding a bit of park and street. 

Been thinking of upgrading my Koxx as I can see things have moved on, initially was looking at a new "pure" frame but actually become quite attracted to the idea of a bike I can have fun and throw at anything. 

Couple of questions -

1. Will the Hex be able to ride more pure trials stuff like I've been used to on my Koxx? And how will it fair in a skatepark for example?

2. I've seen a Hex frame for sale (in the sale section) I think it's 2012ish. How does the geometery/ride compare to the newer models? I can't actually find any new for sale anywhere anyway but is it worth waiting for the 2018 model?

Cheers!

Seb

I think a few videos will answer this more effectively than words. I personally hate them - they're far too big and bulky for me, but if they're your "thing" they seem to be pretty versatile.

Iolo:

Iolo 2: (P.S. - Pretty much the only video that can get me excited about riding rocks.)

Aaron Browne:

Aaron Browne 2:

There's obviously other people that ride them but these two feel like the Hex Ambassadors in my world.

I guess it's partly to do with your spec, and partly to do with your mindset, but they're certainly capable.

As someone who comes from when you were around, I had a level boss 1065,  1100 and a 1080?85? xtp... I have a second? First? Generation hex, green one with four bolts Maggie. 

If I put tons of spacers and a short stem on it like Ali c has in his new bike check video- front wheel spins, bunny hops, spins in general become very easy... pump The tires up high and have fun at the skatepark...

or

you can can put a longer /lower stem bar situation in then and be set for pure trials. Set for pure trials meaning not quite like a new modern hilarious cheater pogo stick (they aren’t worthy of “bicycle” status), but like a tiny bit higher B.B. koxx level boss.. rocks are very fun.

I’m attempting to bridge a gap between these two- I want to be able to ride fast af on trails/the streets and enjoy some time on rocks as well with the same set up.  Currently 80x40 with 5 ish mm spacers underneath, I had 70x30 with a TON of spacers underneath- it made it very very fun for bunnyhopping but gaps and taps suffered- was too far back.

not it everyone can handle the POWER of the great 26” original wheels, clearly @aener needs to practice riding more... 20” wheels are for women and children, it’s written in Wikipedia....must be true ;)

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments guys. 

I've decided to take the plunge and go for the Hex. 

Will let you know how I get on! Little bit excited!

On 11/28/2017 at 9:25 AM, Tony Harrison said:

Hi Seb, we rode together once or twice in Brighton, years back! I think you'd find the Hex very fun to ride, particularly if you've been riding the P1. I have one (from around 2011) and it's great - I have a 90mm Hope stem, about half an inch of spacers and the Trialtech high rise bars.

Long time ago! What were you riding back then?

7 hours ago, peter_t said:

Hey Seb, just noticed you are local-ish to me. Give me a shout if you want someone to ride with. Trials riders are a bit thin on the ground in sussex at the moment!

Sure, when/where do you ride?

9 hours ago, SebJT said:

Thanks for the comments guys. 

I've decided to take the plunge and go for the Hex. 

Will let you know how I get on! Little bit excited!

Long time ago! What were you riding back then?

Me and a friend were both riding silver Ashtons I think, somewhere down on the seafront. You'd just got into trials I seem to remember, must've been about 2003.

9 hours ago, Tony Harrison said:

Me and a friend were both riding silver Ashtons I think, somewhere down on the seafront. You'd just got into trials I seem to remember, must've been about 2003.

Ah yes I remember! Looking forward to riding a bit more again!

13 hours ago, SebJT said:

Sure, when/where do you ride?

Ride mostly at the weekends other than the odd hour or two after work. I live near eastbourne which has loads of rocks to play on and Newhaven has a fair amount of street riding and the gun emplacements up on the fort. Haven't been to brighton in ages, worthng is pretty good too but im sure you must know the spots around there?