Wild Swans

aener

Some recent clips.
There's a couple that have already been published because I was in a mood when I did and deeply regret not saving them for a proper video. Sorry if that upsets you, but it is what it is.
Ali, if you see this - apologies. I filmed the bench thing the week before you uploaded your vlog with it in, but only saw it yesterday. I was intending to copy Simone Barraco, not you :P
Didn't realise quite how many hooks I've been doing until watching this back.

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

Insane. :o

Like the momentum you use for gaps. (Y)

Enjoy that you hold on till you fall off too. Most would give up for fear of death. You just grip the bars tighter and curl your toes over the pedals :P 

I agree, the imagination for lines is incredible not to mention the control needed to pull them off! I will say that I find the holding on till the last moment thing seems quite odd, it's like you realise it's going wrong and instead of getting off the bike and walking away you just go down with the ship or purposefully make landings harsher...is that on purpose?

Also like a broken record, opposite spinning with bitch cranks! Arrrgh!  

48 minutes ago, Ali C said:

is that on purpose?

I'm not really sure what you mean... The two actual crashes don't really fit the description - one was just a foot slipping off a wall, and the other one, if I'd let go it probably would've hurt me more at the same time as firing the bike into a group of fellow riders :P

If you mean the almost-crashes, I think it's reflex I've developed. Quite a lot of the time people jump off when staying on would actually be beneficial, like letting go of the bike when learning backflips. The closest thing I can think you're talking about is the super ragged roll-down in Darlo. That is a full-blooded case of the above. About 80% of steep roll-downs that feel like they've gone wrong actually can be ridden away from by gritting teeth and sticking through to the end (from my experience). The other 20% hurt like hell, but it's worth it ^_^ 

I took the time to learn opposite spins and found they added nothing to riding for me. It's nice being able to go both ways, but I don't see the point in fighting instinct for no benefit.

Also don't really care about using the cranks. It's mostly on edges where I wouldn't have enough oomph to get clear of the wall without one so I'm firmly in the "meh" camp.
I'd rather do a line with a crank and move on to the next. Find it pretty frustrating when people are on a ride and filming something, but will spend three times longer doing it over and over because their knee was a bit wobbly on that one, or they didn't tuck quite stylishly enough.

Edit: To clarify - I love it when people are keen enough to keep trying until they've done it. Just not when they're more worried about the appearance than the achievement, which seems increasingly common.

Call me a slob if you must, but that's my thought on the matter :lol: TGS for life. Haha.

Edited by aener
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, aener said:

Find it pretty frustrating when people are on a ride and filming something, but will spend three times longer doing it over and over because their knee was a bit wobbly on that one, or they didn't tuck quite stylishly enough.

Call me a slob if you must, but that's my thought on the matter :lol: TGS for life. Haha.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Your style seems to be "got it, that'll do", instead of the "didn't 180 out, doesn't count" style.

Just now, Ross McArthur said:

This is exactly what I was thinking. Your style seems to be "got it, that'll do", instead of the "didn't 180 out, doesn't count" style.

Pretty much. I mean, I'll often take a few extra goes afterwards if I'm confident I can do it significantly nicer if all the parts just line up right, but it's not an objective for every line. Particularly on ones that have already taken a lot of tries to manage even sketchily.

The crashes are more a general observation rather than something specific to this video. Not a big deal at all, it's just I've noticed on some moves you've definitely gone past the point of no return which a dab or bail would have resulted in not lying down :P 

The oppo stuff and bitch cranks I think was drilled into me from watching BMX (and having Mark breath down my neck haha) and now It's both a blessing and a curse!

There's loads of lines that a bitch crank would make easier but I see it like body building, some people are adamant that it should be all natural even if it takes longer and the results might be smaller but some people are happy to take steroids if it means they get the desired results. To me how something is done is just as important as the final result. I think that point can be lost on a lot of riders (especially a lot of the 24" crowd) and the number of riders I see do oppo 360 bitch crank hops makes me cringe a little, I imagine they just see the end result being a 360 without too much care as to how it was done.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's a right and a wrong, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it! Your riding is incredible and I totally agree that sometimes a bitch is unavoidable so don't think I'm hating on you :) 

Yes - I get your reasoning and it's perfectly sound, but it's just when I'm on a ride with someone and they're learning (e.g.) 180s, or up-to-fronts, they never make any progress because they're so obsessed with what it looks like that they can't permit themselves to learn how to do it first and THEN make it look nice.

I used to be a bit more fussy about things looking nice, but toning down perfectionism levels has led to me enjoying things more. 

Obviously everyone has different levels of enjoyment for different things, but I can't help but feel pretty much everyone who rides bikes would like to be able to do better stuff than they're currently able, but trying to attain that without allowing practice versions to not look pretty seems a fairly major obstacle. (Which bugs me, because I want more videos to watch! :P )

• Like 2

from my experience, it's a lot harder to unlearn bad habits than to try to avoid them in the first place, like learning to manual 180 with a bitch crank...the technique and body position are so different that learning it with a bitch crank would make it very hard to then take it away and just hop it rather than just trying to hop it in the first place.

I like this conversation :-D. When i'm filming, I'm firmly in the 'try until it looks as good as I want it to', and know its probably to the detriment of my overall video quality / quantity unfortunately. I will punish myself over small things, and go after things until i'm happy with it (or i can't ride along anymore).

I do agree with Ali, BUT, its each to their own really. If you're happy enough with it that you've included it in a video, then I'm happy to watch it. I've dropped many clips because they don't meet my own standards...and really, thats what matters, your own standards. 

I'm massively impressed / jealous how you constantly progress, regardless of whether you think you're progressing. Can't wait to ride this weekend now :).

• Like 1

I've been doing 180 hops BMX style (turns out it's one thing I can still do on a bike reasonably well!), and I'm not far off 360s. 

After watching Ali's unwritten rules video, I tried the opposite bitch crank method to see what the fuss was about, and just cant get it!   I guess it's easier if you have trials background, rather than BMX...

Awesome video @aener(Y)

2 hours ago, aener said:

...trying to attain that without allowing practice versions...

The thing that jumps out at me when I read stuff like that is that the vast majority are already doing the "Just get it done, don't worry about making it look good" thing but not actually ever refining the moves/line whatever, or doing it without bitch cranks and so on.  Being hyper specific, but you can count the number of high level 24" street trials riders who don't put cranks into manny 180s on one hand, and they're vastly outnumbered by people who do.  At what point do you stop saying "It's a practise version"?  At the moment it seems like from that criteria the majority of videos people put out are full of clips of "practise versions"...

I'm a fully paid up member of Team Fussy, as you yourself have called me out for in the past on rides.  The reason I do it isn't because I want to make it look good, but because I want it to feel good - it just so happens that when you do things right they tend to look better than when you don't (plenty of 24" videos backing that up, and a reason why high level comp riders who try out street trials look incredibly fish out of water).  I can specifically remember one occasion where you've called me out for it in person before was about me not doing a manny 180 as a part of a line, and telling me to put a crank in to make it work, but as Ali said I think that'd hinder me way more than it'd help.  

EDIT:  Just wanted to re-iterate that I really liked that video, and I'm a big fan of your riding :P

Sensational. 

I remember you saying that you feel you've gone a bit tech over bigger moves and this just totally contradicted that in the best possible of ways (Y) 

How you avoided your back on that bike flip bail I have no idea. The crowed wanted impressing and you certainly delivered. In 15 years time they'll be someones phone clip of you on YBF. 

Edited by Paperclip

hooks > no hooks. rail line was ballsy. music goes well as usual, the self styled filming with close cut frames and multiple big angles seems to compliment your some-would-say.. unusual music taste for edits (even though i like 'em). or maybe its because i started watching your videos when i started riding, so it just feels familiar yet progressive. who knows!  :) big props 

Edited by Herbertlemon102
  • Like 1