Pedal up help

peter_t

I've been riding for a while now and never been much good at them.

Consistancy seems to be an issue and also stopping me progressing to higher stuff. Sometimes i can do them ok but rarely more than 2ft and other times i feel like im looping out and fall backwards or just slam the bike into the wall etc..

Any tips?

Cheers!

If your rear wheel hits the wall instead of landing on the corner too often, I'd say try taking off a bit earlier. This should give you more time to lift up the bike. The higher you go, the earlier you need to do the pedal stroke, but if you start too early and/or pull the handlebars too high, you might either land with your weight too far back or even miss the corner altogether and flop on your back (yep, happened to the best of us :D). Basically it is all a question of timing, and it only comes with practice.

Also, preloading more allows you to sort of spring up with more power, also increasing the height of the jump. And keep in mind that preloading also takes time.

If you ride a 20" or a 24" street bike, you could try bunny hopping up stuff. It is easier for some people and more difficult for others, depending on your bike's geometry, handlebars angle, stem length, and also your height, but I'd say both techniques are useful.

• Like 2

Cheers Bottleneck, I think im pulling the bars too high too early.

I ride a 09 GU Le 20" but used to ride a 26" which i found this move to be easier on. It took more effort to lift the front wheel in the first half of the move which probably helped in a way. With the 20" it feels far more sensative to giving it too much on the pedal stroke at the wrong time.

I haven't had much luck with bunny hops so far. I see its far more popular with benito ros and others at world cup level. I can bunny hop my mountain bike pretty well but it feels totally different on the trials bike!!?

I've been having bother with these but twigged to something I was doing wrong a few weeks back as I also have a tendency to loop out. I mostly bunny hop so more used to launching a manual by shifting my weight back more to lift the wheel, found I was still doing this weight shift for pedal ups hence to loops outs. Figured if I just crouched more rather than weight shifting back while lifting the wheel with a pedal stroke, this avoided me looping out and I was landing on objects in a more balanced controlled manner. Timing is still an issue but felt I made a break through with the above. Don't know if that helps at all?

Edited by Daviesdt
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

Think depends on your set up but I ride a four play so i try and keep weight central, start to lift front wheel with pedal and crouch/preload with weight no further back than rear hub. Should be able to get into a controlled position with wheel about 45 degrees in the air as you complete your pedal stroke, then it's just complete second half stroke on your strong foot and explode up.

• Like 1

In the last phase of the jump, just before you leave the ground and are pulling the handlebars to your body, try to keep your body weight above the bike, not behind it. 20" bikes are much more difficult to pedal up than 26" bikes because of how eager they are to run away from under your body. So you need to compensate for that by moving your body forward throughout the last phase of the stroke.

• Like 2