Inspired Hex. Finished!

Culshaw95

So i've now grown to dislike my current set up after several years of tinkering about to make it how I like so time to start of the new year with a bike build. It kinda went down hill 3 years ago butI seem to prefer starting from scratch and tend to enjoy my bikes more when doing so. So here we are back at this topic and it's finally up n running. Actually impressed with how it rides and have a week off next week to get some propped riding in!20180119_153344.thumb.jpg.2c0994d3ed31ab010d5eea9152276cec.jpg20180119_152757.thumb.jpg.f0d5e55238239668106c052924e322e0.jpg20180119_152823.thumb.jpg.4ae781ce60162cba0793d8c97a134e77.jpg

Edited by Culshaw95
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Paperclip said:

Exciting, I like a build thread. Is the frame brand new? 

Got the frame second hand on ebay have only has storage marks so a scuff on the right side on the bb which is going to be covered up by a bottom bracket so that's no issues, a mark on the head tube which will be covered by a headset and few little marks I wont see under the bb area so no complaints there to be honest

2 minutes ago, Culshaw95 said:

Got the frame second hand on ebay have only has storage marks so a scuff on the right side on the bb which is going to be covered up by a bottom bracket so that's no issues, a mark on the head tube which will be covered by a headset and few little marks I wont see under the bb area so no complaints there to be honest

Sounds like a rather nice buy. What are the wheels you're putting on the build? I just built a pair of 26" wheels for my hex and found great options for disc specific rims but not so many options for magura apart from Inspired, DMR DeeVee and Backline's.  

I would possibly try the RaceFace cranks on the bike promptly also as these was an option for myself but was worried they might with the 22t cog catch the frame.

I've had the rear wheel for about 4 years now and still going strong which is an Echo TR rim on a Pro II hub, only had to true it once and I had the guys at tartys build me the inspired wheel with Pro 4 hub alongside their shopping list or something on the box? haha. But i've made a big order on Tredz bikes as i can get discount on there which i saved myself about £150 on there which is pretty good going so got a magura rear brake and Hope Trialzone for the front and then tyres, headset, and bb. Only downside is i'll have to wait a little longer for them to arrive but need to sell my 26" Zoo! first to gain space somewhere in my garage...

20180102_140022.thumb.jpg.d6780a8d5b85e4a3e5540c9efb5ff561.jpg

Edited by Culshaw95
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paperclip said:

Sounds like a rather nice buy. What are the wheels you're putting on the build? I just built a pair of 26" wheels for my hex and found great options for disc specific rims but not so many options for magura apart from Inspired, DMR DeeVee and Backline's.  

I would possibly try the RaceFace cranks on the bike promptly also as these was an option for myself but was worried they might with the 22t cog catch the frame.

Yeah I wasn't 100% sure on what cranks to go for to be honest i just thought as it's a 64mm bcd i should hopefully have the clearance but i'll have to wait for the bb and chainring to arrive first to give it a good go. could be a pain if it doesnt work which i'll just have to play with the preload ring and see if i can slacken it of and fit a spacer drive side. Things seem to be a lot narrower on this frame as i've already failed to fit my Trialtech carbon booster on the back due to the mounts not being wide enough... fortunately that was just one i found in my bits box :L 

Edited by Culshaw95

16 minutes ago, Culshaw95 said:

Yeah I wasn't 100% sure on what cranks to go for to be honest i just thought as it's a 64mm bcd i should hopefully have the clearance but i'll have to wait for the bb and chainring to arrive first to give it a good go. could be a pain if it doesnt work which i'll just have to play with the preload ring and see if i can slacken it of and fit a spacer drive side. Things seem to be a lot narrower on this frame as i've already failed to fit my Trialtech carbon booster on the back due to the mounts not being wide enough... fortunately that was just one i found in my bits box :L 

Yeah it's designed to take a narrower rear rim to be fair, you're looking more like 35/40 but I remember on my first hex's I managed 44mm rims but I needed to run tryall clamps to allow my hs33 as much clearance as possible. So depending what you intend on running good luck with that :P

• Like 1

so limited these days with rims i'd much rather have a double wall rim but everything is single wall and wide as hell now besides the inspired rims which arent often in stock. Well sounds like this could go one of two ways which i'll only be able to find out once the parts arrive i suppose haha obviously too eager to build it up... :L

• Like 1

My Hex is still running some superskinny (by trials standards) 517s/similar as they were fitted when I bought the bike. I've a spare DV rim somewhere I will likely build up and will pick up something matching for the other end too. I'd ideally like to run something ~40mm and trialsy but there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of choice about for minimal outlay, which is a shame.

bear in mind that just because a rim says it's disc only doesn't mean that rim brakes won't fit. I used to happily run older Spank Spike rims with curved sidewalls with a rim brake, just takes one ride for the pads to wear to the shape of the rim and then you're all good :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ali C said:

bear in mind that just because a rim says it's disc only doesn't mean that rim brakes won't fit. I used to happily run older Spank Spike rims with curved sidewalls with a rim brake, just takes one ride for the pads to wear to the shape of the rim and then you're all good :) 

Hmm could be tempting I'll have to see how things turn out as I've been contemplating going back to v brake so I could space them out wider than a magura and knowing my track record with hydraulics it's gonna be a possibility haha but cheers for the hint

4 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

My Hex is still running some superskinny (by trials standards) 517s/similar as they were fitted when I bought the bike. I've a spare DV rim somewhere I will likely build up and will pick up something matching for the other end too. I'd ideally like to run something ~40mm and trialsy but there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of choice about for minimal outlay, which is a shame.

I had the DeeVee rim's previously, lasted rather well. Think Ian Johnstone rides them on his 24" with no problems. 

• Like 1

Used to run them on my trials/street/jump/trail/etc bike BITD when everyone else was running Halo Combats (lulz). I picked up a few spares and never used most of them as they served me well. The bike was sold at some point to fund my first "proper" trials bike (an Ashton ET 24" circa 2003ish I would imagine) and sold some of the spare rims, but found one left over which has since followed me from house to house whenever I've moved. I think it's earned its place on a bike for being so persistent!

I suppose if worse comes to worst i'll probably go for the DeeVee rim but don't know how well it would hold a grind and i'd have to live with the fact my front rims 2mm wider... but first i need to test this wheel first..

Edited by Culshaw95

the 26" with green wheels is DeeVee rims with one grind. They only had one grind in the 6 months I had the bike built like that. Ran Rockman blues which were great.  

Edit: Total plug for a 24tour in the future Luke! 

Edited by Paperclip
  • Like 4

Well it looks like I'll have to get one of them rims -_- just put my rear wheel in to try with these slaves I have and there's no chance without either offset clamps which don't seem to be a thing anymore so guess its gonna be a deevee rim. So anyone wanna buy a Hope Pro II on a 44mm Echo TR rim? haha...

Edited by Culshaw95

35 minutes ago, Luke Rainbird said:

I am somehow in the quote box, darn done wrong.  If you was suggesting Halo rims would you do it like this.......

This topic is the only thing keeping me entertained on this forum at the moment haha

Edited by Paperclip
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Back in the day the Halo range was all relatively heavy and they bent/flatted easily. I'd like to think they've improved with time (I've not run them in over a decade!) or they wouldn't still be around, but they wouldn't be my first shout.

I don't think they've evolved, they've always weighed a ton and haven't been amazing.

• Like 1

I'll give it a miss then haha. I've just checked my order status for the rest of my parts which the order was pushed back to the 22nd due to the bottom bracket not being in stock which i was going to get a raceface but then found out a shimano one will work -_- so i'll be ordering a shimano bb and then the rest of the parts should be here next week. I received my forks, stem, chainring and bashguard today and i think i'll your advice on the DeeVee rim. Think i may need to slow down on what i'm spending at the moment D: but its pretty much too late now as it's only the rear wheel i need to sort now... i'll have to  wait n see if i can sell my Zoo! quick but from past experiences with selling a trials bike it never goes too quick -_-

14 hours ago, Culshaw95 said:

I'll give it a miss then haha. I've just checked my order status for the rest of my parts which the order was pushed back to the 22nd due to the bottom bracket not being in stock which i was going to get a raceface but then found out a shimano one will work -_- so i'll be ordering a shimano bb and then the rest of the parts should be here next week. I received my forks, stem, chainring and bashguard today and i think i'll your advice on the DeeVee rim. Think i may need to slow down on what i'm spending at the moment D: but its pretty much too late now as it's only the rear wheel i need to sort now... i'll have to  wait n see if i can sell my Zoo! quick but from past experiences with selling a trials bike it never goes too quick -_-

I've got a echo urban front rim I think this is 39mm it's dual walled and painted silver (just spray it black). Can send for £10 (covers postage). I'll get a photo of it tonight. It'll swap straight over with your echo Tr rim. 

Hmm i could be that guy and deny you of that rim... haha I have a echo tr front wheel on my Zoo so depending on whether it sells complete or if it gets split then i may take it off that but thanks anyways :L Sad day putting that up for sale started off as an Ashton Diamond back and became an endless money pit so it'll be good to start fresh when i get this built 

Edited by Culshaw95
  • Like 1