Inspired Hex. Finished!

Culshaw95

14 hours ago, Culshaw95 said:

I'll give it a miss then haha. I've just checked my order status for the rest of my parts which the order was pushed back to the 22nd due to the bottom bracket not being in stock which i was going to get a raceface but then found out a shimano one will work -_- so i'll be ordering a shimano bb and then the rest of the parts should be here next week. I received my forks, stem, chainring and bashguard today and i think i'll your advice on the DeeVee rim. Think i may need to slow down on what i'm spending at the moment D: but its pretty much too late now as it's only the rear wheel i need to sort now... i'll have to  wait n see if i can sell my Zoo! quick but from past experiences with selling a trials bike it never goes too quick -_-

I've got a echo urban front rim I think this is 39mm it's dual walled and painted silver (just spray it black). Can send for £10 (covers postage). I'll get a photo of it tonight. It'll swap straight over with your echo Tr rim. 

Idiot award goes to me. 30mm axle on the raceface of course i'd order the wrong bb -_- also having doubts about spacing so i'm unfortunately gonna send the cranks back and get some Raceface Chesters and they look like they'll space out a bit more from the bb and it comes with a bottom bracket 

Edited by Culshaw95

More bits arrived today. Tyres, Hope Headset, rear Magura and Hope Trialzone Front brake and then got another crankset arrived tomorrow so hopefully i'll have better luck with them. I tried the magura clamps in hope that they'd be offset enough for my rear wheel but my fears came true so new wheel so its all nice fresh n new

26233005_1698817916806010_3047902001692052930_o.thumb.jpg.ef684bc272ae0ced1557f16489ec38c7.jpg

• Like 1

On 08/01/2018 at 6:16 PM, Luke Rainbird said:

Beauty!

I miss the days I could justify (or at least pretend to) buying shiny new parts. Building up pimp ass bikes is as fun as riding them :)

You can always justify it. Don't be sensible all your life. 

• Like 1

Lulz.

<American Voiceover Guy>
Previously, in this thread...
</American Voiceover Guy>

...we were talking about DMR DV rims. Just happened to pass mine in the garage, so I grabbed it and made a note of its vital statistics. In the interest of sharing information, they look something like this:

For a 26", 32h rim
Outer width: 32mm
Bead width: 30mm
Weight: 796 f**king grams
ERD: 533mm

This is a tad disappointing, as I was going to throw it on the back of my Hex and leave the narrower Mavic up front, however my rear wheel is 36h. Not a massive issue, I could stick this one up front and get a matching 36h for the rear, but good lord that's a lot of weight. Could always drill them, but that's effort.

For comparison purposes, the Inspired Team wheels are listed on TartyBikes as being 650g (both walls are drilled), the Trialtech Carthy rear rim is listed as 577g despite being undrilled and 48mm wide, and the Spank Spike Race 33s are listed on CRC as being 480g (which I'm not convinced by).

Sorry for the minor thread derail, but seemed the most relevant place to waffle on about it for now :P

3 minutes ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Lulz.

<American Voiceover Guy>

...we were talking about DMR DV rims. Just happened to pass mine in the garage, so I grabbed it and made a note of its vital statistics. In the interest of sharing information, they look something like this:

For a 26", 32h rim

This is a tad disappointing, as I was going to throw it on the back of my Hex and leave the narrower Mavic up front, however my rear wheel is 36h. Not a massive issue, I could stick this one up front and get a matching 36h for the rear, but good lord that's a lot of weight. Could always drill them, but that's effort.

For comparison purposes, the Inspired Team wheels are listed on TartyBikes as being 650g (both walls are drilled), the Trialtech Carthy rear rim is listed as 577g despite being undrilled and 48mm wide, and the Spank Spike Race 33s are listed on CRC as being 480g (Dynamal BRO).

Sorry for the minor thread derail, but seemed the most relevant place to waffle on about it for now :P

I just built those Spanks, yep those are V light. Not super confidence inspiring when you've got the wheel, dual ply tyre, downhill tube, pro 4 with bolts and the cardboard box the rims came still feels heavier. 

I didn't read the description as usually it makes your eyes bleed on CRC but "Spike" and "Oohbah"  sold it.  Oh and as a Yorkshire man, they're on offer. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Impressive stuff. Somewhat offset by all the rubber wrapped around them mind :P

Realistically I'm not going to ride the bike enough to warrant any further thought, just need to get it rolling nicely and enjoy the three rides before it gets sold I guess!

Haha my Hex got three rides, now it's in bits under my desk!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Lulz.

<American Voiceover Guy>

For a 26", 32h rim

For comparison purposes, the Inspired Team wheels are listed on TartyBikes as being 650g (both walls are drilled), the Trialtech Carthy rear rim is listed as 577g despite being undrilled and 48mm wide, and the Spank Spike Race 33s are listed on CRC as being 480g (which I'm not convinced by).

I was very tempted to be that guy and send the inspired wheel that I got built back and go for white rims but yeah with a pro 4 hub my rear wheels gonna be crazy heavy... Fortunately I'm not horrendously fussed about weight as I had a 12Kg Onza Limey 3 which I rode better than any of my 26" builds

1 hour ago, Ross McArthur said:

How many spacers did you use in the drive side?

2 BB spacers and then 3mm spacer on the axle. I tried 2mm but it just scraped so 3mm was pretty much spot on. Just gotta get a rear wheel now and then i can finish it all off!20180110_170717.thumb.jpg.04c69dc497086e12371a37ac4043ec44.jpg

Edited by Culshaw95
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Culshaw95 said:

2 BB spacers and then 3mm spacer on the axle. I tried 2mm but it just scraped so 3mm was pretty much spot on. Just gotta get a rear wheel now and then i can finish it all off!20180110_170717.thumb.jpg.04c69dc497086e12371a37ac4043ec44.jpg

That's pretty close, instead of those plastic washers I use an aluminium washer from a hope or any single speed kit that fits on a hub freewheel. Stronger then those plastic ones. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Shrewsbury said:

That's pretty close, instead of those plastic washers I use an aluminium washer from a hope or any single speed kit that fits on a hub freewheel. Stronger then those plastic ones. 

Yeah but i guess it'll have to do. That seems to be the think with hex's they always seem to be dangerously close with anything 22t but the truativ cranks they come with. I dont really want to be using any more spacers or as i've seen filing down the 4 bolt mounts for the chainring. I was going to use one of those washers but these have quite a wide surface area compared to those spacers and sit quite comfortably on the axle 

Edited by Culshaw95

Slowly getting there, fitted stem, bars, forks and pedals (Still need to cut steerer). Struggling to get the front tyre to sit properly in the inspired rim for some reason.... (Sorry about the potato photo lighting in the workshops crap)20180111_110548.thumb.jpg.89dea177dfdc88ace0d05ad3cb3cb462.jpg

Edited by Culshaw95
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Luke Rainbird said:

That's gonna be a whole heap of fun!

Might be worth looking at running that tensioner in "up" mode for chain wrap, if that's possible? Other than that, and maybe a shorter stem, looks great! (Y)

I don't think i'd get on with a shorter stem to be honest as even with this stem it still feels pretty short as i'm pretty tall but i'll see how it goes. I got a 90x10 hope stem if i ever think of trying shorter but this feels alright for the moment

• Like 1