Retro HS33 Gurus??????

pedaladdiction

14 hours ago, pedaladdiction said:

interesting so possibly these were made specifically for monty bikes by magura a kind of oem spec brake for monty completes?

I think that's the case. What year were they made (there should be casting dates embossed on the bottom of the levers)?

Not all the HS33s had the red adjusters back then - I think that might've been the difference (on the yellow version) between the "Raceline" and "Raceline D").

I was never 100% but they look identical to Raceline Ds which I think were HS24 (but some people still call those HS22 so I don't know if I can believe anything in life anymore), the HS22 might even have the same lever body, but the 24 looks like it had the fancier blade, the 22 had a cheaper rounded one with a ball on the end. Got a feeling the HS24 might haave been just the Raceline D (yellow) and Johnny T (red). These were all pre 98 before the other colours came out and they made the best lever, then went on to make each lever a bit worse than the last.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 3

So I went digging in my box of parts. I thought I had a set of Raceline D but I don't. Found these though (dates based on casting stamps)...

Top-left, 1994 with sticker for logo, ball-ended lever blade. At the back 1996 with the TPA. Then at the bottom 2002 with the U-section lever blade:

racelines-1.thumb.jpg.866ddef61798ff20f9ba6e98821c21de.jpg

And then 1998, just like the first set I ever bought:

racelines-2.thumb.jpg.fc7f7b70bd7caceee57b33f2a2fc459f.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 26/02/2018 at 2:49 AM, pedaladdiction said:

Any retro trials gurus able to help me out with some info on these? brought them a while ago but wanting to know more as i've never seen a set like them before. Not sure if they are special edition off a monty complete bike maybe seeing as the hoses are a clear blue colour stamped monty

pictures here 

28511700_10155449096045914_1930050774_n.jpg

28511920_10155449095995914_1219606637_n.jpg

I had those exact brakes on a Monty from about 1996. They are basically the same as the regular magura brakes at that time, hs22, but they had a different sized piston custom for trials that made them more powerful but less modulation.  The clear hoses were unique to Monty as well.

It was a square downtube model just before they switched to ones with the bent frame and no seat. 

It was a Monty x lite 221 very similar to this one. It was a great bike and they were great brakes. 

106604FF-ED1B-4728-821A-61A570247FB0.jpeg

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I used to ride years (+10 ago) and have a load of HS33 levers somewhere. I also have the longer single finger lever blade (can't remember the brand) with metal reach adjuster. That was the most powerful rear brake. Used to run avid ultimate v's and levers at one point too. With heatsink v pads. They were the lightest and best feeling brakes I had. 

Those original red levers in the post, as said are not HS33 or HS11 (11's were awful) but are the middle HS22/24 type with a trials spec. 

Edited by strat-trials