Best magura pads for Neon single wall rims?

Target

Hi there. I've been using Neon single wall rims for 2 years, and still can't find brake pads that works properly with them.

I've tried TNN LGM, TNN Belaey, Rockman Blue pads,
tried light and medium grind (tried different grind angles 30-70 degrees, normally it was 45 degrees, and i'm sure the grind was sharp),
tried to re-install and adjust brake cylinders many times (pads are parallel to the rim surfaces, and the setup looks fine), 
tried to rub down the pads so that they are perfectly fitted to the rim surfaces (because rim surfaces are not parallel to each other).

The problem is, the brakes don't hold well, even on a fresh grind. They work fine only with a tar, but it wears out quickly, and doesn't work in the wet.

My current setup is: Echo TR brakes, Neon single wall rims, Echo TR clamps, TNN Belaey on the front and TNN LGM with Racing Line alu backings on the rear.

Why is the brake perfomance so poor?
What pads are you using with Neon single wall rims?

what frame/have you tried a booster?

or

change rims... surely breaking performance > weight savings. if the top choice of pads arent cutting it going with a more trusted rim might help (i don't know whats trendy for tgs 24)

On 03/03/2018 at 1:39 PM, ogre said:

what frame/have you tried a booster?

or

change rims... surely breaking performance > weight savings. if the top choice of pads arent cutting it going with a more trusted rim might help (i don't know whats trendy for tgs 24)

I'm using Echo frame without a booster, and it does flex. A booster could help. However, on the front I use Rockman carbon fork, and the front brake feels very solid and stiff, but front brake performance is also poor. That's why I don't think the flex is a main cause of a bad hold.

I've had Heatsink Yellows on these rims (26"), and they seem to work really well even when the grind is old and the rims are wet and dirty (your typical November ride in Moscow).

Sort of off topic, but I run the exact same setup on my 24" neon single wall rims, and they work much worse. Does it make any sense?

I've run Neon 26" single wall rims for 2 or 3 years (still have one on the front) and have found they are definitely a softer aluminum than most other rims so they don't hold a grind quite as well. That said, the quality of the grind and your grinding technique is everything. I've used Rockman blue, TNN LGM, and currently running Coust pads with the Neon rims and they all worked quite well as long as the grind was good. I can get about 3-4 months out of a grind before I need to regrind.

Get a grinding disc like this one if you don't have one already:

https://machpowertools.com/Cut-off-wheels/bosch-diamond-cutting-disc-2608602797

Use very light pressure (I don't push against the rim at all, just let the weight of the grinder do the work) and go very slowly at around a 45 degree angle, being careful to be even throughout the rim surface. This technique (with that type of grinding disc) produces by far the best grinds I've tried. I've used many other grinding discs and pressures but none compare in sharpness or longevity.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1