Any way to TOW a trials bike?

Scoox

Yesterday my MTB mates invited me to join them in their town ride, about 2 miles from where I live. 2 bloody miles?? I told them it was too far to ride out on a trials bike, but then I was called a p*ssy so I pretty much had no choice. After all, nobody is going to give me a medal for not turning up, and two hours later I was on my way to the spot. As I had anticipated, it was a ton of fun once I got there, but the getting from A to B and then from B back to A after a 4-hour ride was pretty painful.

Riding new spots is always fun so I thought there must be a way to tow a trials bike behind a regular bike. I have some ideas how I could hook it up to the seat post of an MTB, but I'm not sure that would work well in practice, has anyone here ever done something like this? cheers

Edited by Scoox

12 miles from where I used to live in to the nearest town. Summer used to be filled with sunny days of riding in to town, session for a couple of hours, ride another few miles to the skatepark for a bit, 10 miles to the next town for a final session then 11 miles home. Would it have been easier and less effort in a car? Absolutely. Is 2 miles too far to roll in? Absolutely not.

Gears and a seat will make your life better, but sounds like your ride in is barely far enough to spin into 2nd and sit down.

...and another thing... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Yeah I just prefer to spend my time riding trials than commuting. Maybe it was more than two miles though, took me nearly 40 minutes to get  there. Overthinking looks like... Ali C has got a van :D

Edited by Scoox

1 hour ago, Topsy said:

Start riding on your way there. 
Can 4 miles will take me 2 hours because there's so much stuff to ride on on the way.

Unless people are waiting for you at the end of 4 miles

I'm a freakin' genius..

Was talking jokingly with my boss the other day about doing a 1000w conversion on my spooky..

http://www.electric-bike-conversions.co.uk/acatalog/electric_bike_front_hub_kit_details.html#sidehop=1

Comes with a choice of wheel sizes.. 20, 24inch is included..

Probably need to do some work to the kit, so you could carry the batteries, instead of fitting them to the bike (along with your normal front wheel).

@Ogre.. I used to do that all the time, 4 miles with a bike for a mate.. Proper pain in the ass.

Was always fun when the bars clashed, and you end up with the other bike hanging off you, trying to pull you sideways!

*Edit: Personally i wouldn't be seen dead with that kit in front of those nasty pisstaking mtb mates, so i'll join the others, grow some legs boy!

Edited by natmangee
Addition

Here in Los Angeles its common to see people riding their fixie bikes while holding the handlebars of another bike, as it rides next to them.  Major skills and balls considering the traffic here.

Personally my favorite part of riding a trials bike is actually riding a bicycle.  If you have a pogo stick “bike frame” you will not have fun doing this. I  don’t consider pogo sticks to have anything to do with biketrials as they cannot be ridden as a bicycle.  Trials was already the red headed stepchild in America- a sideshow...  the pogo stick just killed it like a brick to a head, took away any semblance of a bicycle that trials was clinging to. Full retard.

There is nothing more fun than bombing a hill at 25 mph on my trials bike, weaving in and out of traffic.- bunnyhopping things, taking tight turns and long manuals / nose manuals.  Nothing is better than a 5-6 hour ride all around a downtown, hitting spots over many mile radius, spending good time standing up and pedaling...

in a few years a drone will carry you and your bicycle so you can spend time browsing instagram and taking hella dop selfies #fallow4fallow

• Like 2

On 20/04/2018 at 10:39 AM, Scoox said:

Yeah I just prefer to spend my time riding trials than commuting. Maybe it was more than two miles though, took me nearly 40 minutes to get  there. Overthinking looks like... Ali C has got a van :D

Getting a vehicle to transport yourself and your bike distances up to and including going to different countries isn't quite 'over thinking' ;)

As everyone has said, that's not far, and it's a lot less hassle than then having to have two bikes with you for the time you're actually supposed to be out there having fun.  Not really wanting to get into the whole "I rode further than ____" dick-waving contest, but most places I've lived have been a minimum of 2 miles to get to spots, and it's not that hard to deal with.  If you're arriving late, leave earlier.  It's that simple.

• Like 1

ok 2 miles was what they told me, just checked the map, it's actually 4.5 miles lol those cheeky f*cks.

Anyway I'm onto it, got some ideas from your replies, including---you guessed it---ben_travis's gif.

Bought this clamp for about 3 quid and other bits which are on their way, I'm sure you can see where this is going.

20180424_204559.thumb.jpg.7556aeda3a777d2f90e0eb980bc8ca97.jpg

By the way here in China we have loads of public bikes so the plan is to grab one of those, slap the tow bar on, then when I get to my destination take it off and throw it in my bag, so I don't need to worry about a second bike.

Edited by Scoox
  • Like 2

I have an attachment on my commuter bike that lets me tow my trials bike, I use it all the time, way easier than riding the trials bike. Basically you need a bike with a rear rack, then attach a board or something to the end, put some velcro straps on it. I flip the trials bike over, strap the handlebars onto the board, then the rear wheel of the trials bike rolls behind the commuter bike. I'd post a picture if I had one, makes more sense if you see it. Works quite well actually.