TF Makers

JD™

The back panel from this computer on the Rowing machine has been missing for year so I designed and printed one out. Got pretty spot on with my first attempt and only had to make a minor adjustment for the finished product.

IMG_20190615_190354.thumb.jpg.f0ced8a2171c260b2e07f9084647040a.jpg

IMG_20190615_190838.thumb.jpg.0dec0bc455738f66aefd17022f14ba6c.jpg

IMG_20190615_190852.thumb.jpg.f9e9f0fd620c147441e10d2f3814ad05.jpg

IMG_20190615_190929.thumb.jpg.7ac01be9151f9ae9d1d38900be3ad3d6.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tom Booth said:

What printer was that on dude? Looks a good print!

Edit - Answered own question when I looked at the print bed logo :lol:

Haha Yeah its a Creality Ender 3. Cost me £130 on ebay. I couldn't recommend it enough if you wanted to get into it.

I've got a printer already but really couldn't get into it enough. My folks bought it me as a christmas gift as a kit, built it and got some relatively cool prints from it but the software wasn't too easy to use and troubleshooting with the printer was a nightmare. I've only heard good things about the ender so might give one a go! Cheers dude.

• 2 months later...

I need to make myself a new workbench to accommodate a new lathe, but before I can show you anything I'll best ask a question or two.

There's a wardrobe that needs to come away to make room and I thought I'd best got for an L shape resulting in more storage for the things that are in the wardrobe under the workbench, and enough space to expand with more tools etc.

I was thinking of box section steel and some kind of wood top, dropped (and bolted) into steel angle.

It'd be very nice to have it all welded but I don't think that's possible. Obviously I'd make two rectangular tables, not an L shaped one, but I don't believe it'd be possible to get it down the stairs and round the corner in one bit, and I can pack my things if I try welding anything inside the house. Maybe, just maybe I could get it in with the legs welded onto the top, leaving just the bottom struts/shelf to be bolted on.
Or I bolt everything together but I'm not sure if it'd be rigid enough?

Has anyone got any other ideas? Measurements are below.

New Workbench.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's a right laugh hooning round the carpark at the back of my house, hopefully it will last the full 7 hour endurance race :o

More to the point, hopefully the team of drivers will last the 7 hours pedalling in a gokart seat :D

Edited by forteh

That's dead cool :D Have fun and good luck!

Bit late regarding the diff question but... just make it one wheel drive ;)

I had a look into soapbox races recently and I found the major factors in reducing scrub up front were parallel toe, zero scrub radius, with modest caster (approx 5 degrees), and 100% Ackerman. Made sense to me.

The front doesn't seem too bad initially but hoping to get some time over at curby to test it out - we have adjustable toe, camber, caster and as best ackerman I could get so should be able to get it sussed; thanks for the advice though, will bear it in mind! :)

Single wheel drive doesn't meet regs though with how I've designed it unfortunatley, we have a solid rear axle with a single disk.  The car needs to have a minimum of two equally braked wheels, although that said, I have designed in capacity to fit disks to both front wheels.  We'll run it with the solid rear and modify afterwards if the rear scrub is disasterous :D

Four drivers in the team, think we're working on 15 minute stints in the hotseat based on their experiences last year (with a hired car which imho was a bag of shite*) but I suspect we will be able to do much longer in this.

* zero adjustable steering geometry, no ackerman, no caster, steering actuated by levers that you had to hang onto to stop you falling out of the non adjustable seat.  The tallest rider (33" inside leg) was squashed up and the shortest rider (27" inside leg) was overstretched even with a booster pad.  All weight over the rear axle so understeery (this has almost bang on natural 50/50 exc. driver) and they were having to steer it straight all the time!

Been trying to work out how to best tension the final drive chain - 3.5m long run of single speed chain running on fixed sprockets so constantly running.  Tried using an old mech to tension it but the self weight of the chain was too great, it slapped, jumped off and tore the mech to pieces.

I've rigged up a ghost sprocket from an old chainwheel and mrp system1 sideplates but because of the length of chain it's rather mobile (although very secure). Was messing about with different sprocket positions last night and then realised that we have slotted dropouts at the front for the jackdrive hub, undo QR, pull hub forwards to tension chain, tighten QR; a rather simpler solution compared to what I was looking at!

Only problem with this was that the rear fixed sprocket is sandwiched between two half axles and was running eccentric by a couple of mm, enough to make the chain slappy.  Stripped the axle out at 11 last night and jumped on the lathe at work at lunchtime.  Now have spigots and registers machined onto the shafts so it should all be nice and circular now :)

Ought to try to knock up some bodywork!

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

How did you get on dude?

Decided to build one of these and have a crack at an event or two next year :D

Awesome. Would be good to catch up soon mate if you ever find yourself in derby don't hesitate to drop me a message and come over for a cuppa! It's been too long. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

How did you get on dude?

Decided to build one of these and have a crack at an event or two next year :D

Was this pointed at me? :)

The race was good, bloody hard work and highlighted a load of issues with the car!

Good points: -

It didn't fall apart or need any actual maintenance during the 7 hours driving.

It handles really well, steers straight hands free and grip in abundance with minimal effort on the steering.

It was pretty comfy.

Bad points: -

It's heavy, the plan is to run the chassis through fea in solidworks and introduce speedholes.

There's too much rolling resistance, I think it's the constantly running final chain and rear axle bearing alignment.

It's sitting very high, aerodynamically it's a snail, that didn't affect us at the speeds we were travelling but if we are aiming to get faster then it needs addressing now.

The lack of differential wasn't a huge issue with scrubbing tyres, however I think it was killing our corner speeds as momentum seems to be everything.  Looking to split the rear axle and have a twin freewheel setup or design a ball differential to go in there.

When out on track it was a constant push just to keep it up to speed and us being middleaged unfit blokes it was ok for the first 10 mins then fatigue set in quite quickly.  Out of 21 teams, we came 15th with 222 laps completed, fastest lap was 86 seconds @ 15mph, average speed over the 7 hours was 12mph.  For reference, the winning teams fastest lap was 55 seconds :o

I had a quick play in the winning car and it was an absolute weapon, so very quick and light :)

I bet you could built an awesome car, give us a yell if you want to bounce ideas around.

edit: on the winning team, one of the drivers commutes 400 miles a week on his recumbent bike, he was pushing 30-40 minutes sessions at a constant 90rpm cadence.  Once he was done bombing round the track all day long he then went and cycled 35km home in the dark :o:o:o

Edited by forteh