What length wheelbase is a 2002 Monty x lite?

crunch

I used to own a 2002 Monty x lite. 

Loved that bike, and I’m shopping for new bikes and there’s been a lot of changes to newer trials bikes. 

So im wondering what the wheelbase was of my old bike as a baseline for me to compare against. Anyone know? Thank you 

E9D0B838-F013-4CBD-B59B-7959AC84FEF1.jpeg

At a guess you'll be hunting for a sub 1000mm wheelbase, 370ish mm chainstays and maybe a +30 to +40mm bb rise. I had a trawl through the internet but could find anything specific. I rode the later 221ti and it was so much fun. 

This maybe as close as you can get https://www.tartybikes.co.uk/20_inch_frames/monty_219_mag/c36p12509.html?pos=0&search_params=YTo3OntzOjEyOiJjYXRlZ29yeV9pZHMiO2E6MTp7aTowO3M6MjoiMzYiO31zOjE2OiJjYXRlZ29yeV9yZWN1cnNlIjtiOjE7czo4OiJrZXl3b3JkcyI7czowOiIiO3M6OToiYnJhbmRfaWRzIjtOO3M6NDoibW9kZSI7czozOiJhbGwiO3M6NDoic29ydCI7czo5OiJwcmljZV9hc2MiO3M6MTA6ImNvdW50cnlfaWQiO2k6MTt9

Edited by trialsalot

2 hours ago, trialsalot said:

At a guess you'll be hunting for a sub 1000mm wheelbase, 370ish mm chainstays and maybe a +30 to +40mm bb rise. I had a trawl through the internet but could find anything specific. I rode the later 221ti and it was so much fun. 

This maybe as close as you can get https://www.tartybikes.co.uk/20_inch_frames/monty_219_mag/c36p12509.html?pos=0&search_params=YTo3OntzOjEyOiJjYXRlZ29yeV9pZHMiO2E6MTp7aTowO3M6MjoiMzYiO31zOjE2OiJjYXRlZ29yeV9yZWN1cnNlIjtiOjE7czo4OiJrZXl3b3JkcyI7czowOiIiO3M6OToiYnJhbmRfaWRzIjtOO3M6NDoibW9kZSI7czozOiJhbGwiO3M6NDoic29ydCI7czo5OiJwcmljZV9hc2MiO3M6MTA6ImNvdW50cnlfaWQiO2k6MTt9

Thank you. 

The 221ti I think was basically the same geometry. 

So basically it seems the newer mod bikes have just got a bit longer. 

I liked the way the 221 was so easy to just lift the front wheel and it felt easy to just balance on the rear all day long. 

Im tempted to look at something like the Skye team as it’s a bit more useful for just riding around town and looks like it would be fun to play with at the skate park and stuff with my kids. 

Do you know how the 24” inspired bikes feel for what I would describe as traditional trials in a street environment? I’d guess that’s the best description of how I’d ride. Not so much flips or flatland type skills, more hops and jumps/ pedal crank rear wheel hops to gap and get up/down stuff. 

The issue is I’m likely buying a bike online as there’s nothing anywhere near me to get one in person. I now live in Canada. 

Modern mods are completely different.  BB heights are usually around 80mm (so almost double the height of your Monty), have chainstay lengths about 20mm shorter, what will most likely be a steeper head angle and a different wheelbase.  They won't feel like your Monty used to.

A 20" bike would be better for the 'proper' trials moves, but they're very focussed now so you won't really get much other streety stuff done on one.  The Inspireds are a bit bigger, heavier and have more neutral geometry so you won't get the same outright height and scale, but if you're starting reasonably from scratch again (but with the benefit of your experience before) it shouldn't really be too bad if you're mixing in streetier stuff too.  If you're thinking of playing around at a skatepark an Inspired is a much, much better idea than a modern mod! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Modern mods are completely different.  BB heights are usually around 80mm (so almost double the height of your Monty), have chainstay lengths about 20mm shorter, what will most likely be a steeper head angle and a different wheelbase.  They won't feel like your Monty used to.

A 20" bike would be better for the 'proper' trials moves, but they're very focussed now so you won't really get much other streety stuff done on one.  The Inspireds are a bit bigger, heavier and have more neutral geometry so you won't get the same outright height and scale, but if you're starting reasonably from scratch again (but with the benefit of your experience before) it shouldn't really be too bad if you're mixing in streetier stuff too.  If you're thinking of playing around at a skatepark an Inspired is a much, much better idea than a modern mod! 

Thank you. That was my understanding with modern mod bikes. 

I’ve been racing Bmx the last few years and we had a team night at the indoor bike park last week, and all the time I was there riding a Bmx I just had an urge to hop and spin which is just couldn’t do with the front end heavy race Bmx with no front brake. It was the signal I need another trials bike. 

I rode trials for close to 20 years so I’m confident a lot of the skills are still there. I’m just thinking the 24” will be more usable as I can ride with my kids on their bikes around town and maybe hit up the skate park and stuff as we play around. 

When I lived in The U.K.  I used to ride in porthcawl a lot back in the days when the Martyn(in)s were riding there. So I used to enjoy the pure trials but with a bit of street type riding thrown in. 

So maybe a skye team is the way to go. I’m almost the same height at Danny so I’m guessing it’ll fit well 

You don't necessarily need to go all the way for a Skye Team - a Fourplay would be pretty similar in terms of fit and ride but would save a reasonable amount of cash.  For what you're looking to do a 24" bike sounds like it should do the trick though (Y)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark W said:

You don't necessarily need to go all the way for a Skye Team - a Fourplay would be pretty similar in terms of fit and ride but would save a reasonable amount of cash.  For what you're looking to do a 24" bike sounds like it should do the trick though (Y)

Agh I’m a bike snob. And the Skye is only a couple hundred more than the fourplay team. I really like the hope hubs and stuff so I’d definitely want it with those. So then I might as well get the Skye with the nicer bolt through hubs and stuff, I really like the rear end design in particular  

I don’t drink or smoke, just spend my money on bikes. Lol

I just made the move from riding mod to a 24 and I love 24. I ride everything from street to natural. The beauty of a 24" is its like a swiss army knife with several handy functions rather than a mod which in many cases is a sharp as hell knife.

I don't think you'd be disappointed at all with a 24".

Basically the same thing Mark said.

Edited by trialsalot

14 minutes ago, trialsalot said:

I just made the move from riding mod to a 24 and I love 24. I ride everything from street to natural. The beauty of a 24" is its like a swiss army knife with several handy functions rather than a mod which in many cases is a sharp as hell knife.

I don't think you'd be disappointed at all with a 24".

Basically the same thing Mark said.

Great. Thanks. 

I was just nervous as I only rode mods for close to 20 years. I never liked 26 trials bikes. 

My first mod Monty was in the early 90s when I was just a kid. I rode Monty mod bikes as my main day to day bike all through my teenage years and whenever I tried a friends 26 it just felt cumbersome and lumbering. 

Not little and flicky like my mod. 

Edited by crunch

1 hour ago, trialsalot said:

If you've rode for that long you'll adapt quickly.

Yeh. I’m sure it’ll take me a while to get back into it. It’s been a long time since I last rode trials properly. 

But I rode mod trials from age about 8. 

• Like 2

For what it's worth I was in a similar position - only rode mod and didn't really get on with stocks (still don't...), but 24" bikes felt fine to me.  They're not really much like a 'proper' trials bike so you don't get that same barge-y feel you tend to get on stocks at all.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an older thread. 

I picked up a Skye team last summer and I’m really not liking it that much. It feels heavy and cumbersome compared to my old mod bikes. Spins etc are slow and choppy, it feels like what I always felt stock 26” bikes felt like  big and lumbering.

Would something like an Alias 20.1 be closer to feel to my old monty? I’m thinking that might be a lot of fun, but still ridable to get around unlike a true competition mod. 

• 2 weeks later...

I came in this thread to say you should get an alias. I’ve ridden a skye, not my jam- but at six feet tall aint for me..and I’m an old school rider- up and over smoothly is all im interested in, maybe a spin off but f off w those footjam spaz shit. 

I competed with 221 x-lites and my last mod was a koxx level boss. I’ve ridden an alias w some weird brakes, but it felt nice... set it up w a whatever kind of stem/bar to fit your riding- it is versatile bike, will never be as good at todays competition bikes (which you would immediately throw in the garbage after riding), but I believe you’ll be much happier with it as opposed to fourplay/skye etc.

that being said, every now and then you’ll see a 221 on ebay... it definitey had a feel, nothing sidehops from both wheels/surges/wedges as nice imo... had some awesome rides on that lil blue beast ! 

edit/ and for wheelbase.. for some reason the numbers 990 and 1005 come to me ? my levelboss was a weirdo.. dont get one of those :D

Edited by AndyT

21 minutes ago, AndyT said:

I came in this thread to say you should get an alias. I’ve ridden a skye, not my jam- but at six feet tall aint for me..and I’m an old school rider- up and over smoothly is all im interested in, maybe a spin off but f off w those footjam spaz shit. 

I competed with 221 x-lites and my last mod was a koxx level boss. I’ve ridden an alias w some weird brakes, but it felt nice... set it up w a whatever kind of stem/bar to fit your riding- it is versatile bike, will never be as good at todays competition bikes (which you would immediately throw in the garbage after riding), but I believe you’ll be much happier with it as opposed to fourplay/skye etc.

that being said, every now and then you’ll see a 221 on ebay... it definitey had a feel, nothing sidehops from both wheels/surges/wedges as nice imo... had some awesome rides on that lil blue beast ! 

edit/ and for wheelbase.. for some reason the numbers 990 and 1005 come to me ? my levelboss was a weirdo.. dont get one of those :D

I sold my Skye last week. Just ordered a nice new alias 20.2 build with lots of shiny parts. I’ll post pics when it arrives and I get the wheels built up. It’s satisfying building ones own wheels! 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 4:28 PM, crunch said:

I sold my Skye last week. Just ordered a nice new alias 20.2 build with lots of shiny parts. I’ll post pics when it arrives and I get the wheels built up. It’s satisfying building ones own wheels! 

Congratulations! Hope you find good fortune with that alias, I’ve been tempted myself but 13 bicycles is enough :S only ride one or two of them.

47 minutes ago, AndyT said:

Congratulations! Hope you find good fortune with that alias, I’ve been tempted myself but 13 bicycles is enough :S only ride one or two of them.

Bah. It’s N+1 for bikes. Scientific fact. 

Im at about the same and ride them all! 

I also picked up a new park Bmx. So that’s filling the gap until the alias arrives. 

• Like 1