Recording guitar music digitally.

LEON

Does anyone record electric guitar digitally? Reaper etc, I've got a Line 6 POD HD and I can't figure anything out, I thought I'd be ok as I've used plenty of video editors in the past but this has bent my mind. Ideally after tips or recommendations for other gear, I've watched tons of tutorials but no success.

DAWs aren't particularly user friendly to the uninitiated, but Reaper's a pretty simple one once you've got the knack.

I can write you out a 101/CheatSheet if that's the one you plan to use?

Is it just simple audio-in and simple edits from there, or will you be wanting fancy routing (auxiliaries/multi-hardware IO etc.), significant edits, MIDI etc. too?

Edit: Youtube and Cockos forum searches for specific things are your friend. Most things are simple once you've been show which button to click ;)

Edited by aener
  • Like 1

Yeah that'd be useful thanks, I've looked for complete beginner's guides but even those assume a reasonable amount of background knowledge, I think I need a basic sheet of essential bullet points to get me going.

Yes I was told Reaper is a good way to go, I'm on the free trial, I got as far as pressing record and I could see the graphic display bit going up and down but I couldn't hear anything. I'm starting to think my sound card might be the problem, as I get that weird thing where every other time I switch on it won't connect to the net, Google tells me that's a Windows/sound card fault. Sound familiar?

Ok cheers, I was lost on even what forums to look for as no one really wants to give advice bit by bit to a complete novice, I can't blame them. I've looked for courses locally but every single one is online and I know I'll need someone there to give me pointers.

I only know a couple of basics like record in 24bit, 44.1khz for electric guitar. 

Edited by LEON