Mike Beck: JUST MOVE

Mike Beck

On 28/09/2019 at 6:16 PM, Mike Beck said:

Just recently before my holiday to sunny Spain i learnt to muscle up.

by no means a wizard but its now a do-able move for me :)

any tips on how to perfect /improve and work on will be appreciated.

Here is the video of me on my second day doing a few with some balance beam riding on the Scorpio bike for good measure! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNbPrgJoXbU

Mike

That was a kip up.

Maybe don't use your knees and actually pull up on the bar. You're just using momentum to get up and almost zero strength. 

• Like 3

You can do some really impressive things on your bike and I just think they are wasted on these edits. The music just isn't for everyone and really doesn't go with your riding. Raw would be better or a more ambient if you have to use certain things for copyright? The flickering effects and massive use of your name is just cringe worthy Mike. You don't need to shove it in everyone's face in that way. Your riding is literally the only reason people follow you and the only reason I like to check out the odd post you share, concentrate on that and relax on the other stuff please. 

Just being honest here as you could genuinely put out some fantastic media in my opinion. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure others have said it before, but I'll say it:

Focus more on the riding aspect and less on the posing. One of my favourite riders on YT is Sam Pilgrim, because he's got a good personality and big skills on the bike. He manages to incorporate holidays with the bike, rather than just posting a holiday video...

Sam might be a bit Marmite, but the video format is good, might be worth taking a look at some of his stuff and getting inspiration.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ali C said:

What was that video all about? Who are these videos for? What are you doing?

I'll answer these questions on Mike's behalf.

I reckon that Mike's videos are about Mike, they're for Mike and people that know/like Mike, and Mike's making videos of parts of his life and sharing them on the internet. If insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result then I'm afraid you're all insane for clicking on a Mike Beck video and not expecting posing, cuts to black and pointlessness. 

If people aren't on board with the Mike Beck™ brand then they don't have to watch, right? He warned us by saying he didn't have his bike with him so let's not get worked up over nothing and just sit back, relax, and watch other people's holiday videos. 

• Like 3

On 9/23/2019 at 2:04 PM, isitafox said:

I remember the day Mike Beck followed me on Instagram, funny when I check his profile though it doesn't say for me to follow back :lol:

Thanks for checking my profile, clearly thought your account was the same as every other cross fit account.

On 11/4/2019 at 8:46 PM, Paperclip said:

You can do some really impressive things on your bike and I just think they are wasted on these edits. The music just isn't for everyone and really doesn't go with your riding. Raw would be better or a more ambient if you have to use certain things for copyright? The flickering effects and massive use of your name is just cringe worthy Mike. You don't need to shove it in everyone's face in that way. Your riding is literally the only reason people follow you and the only reason I like to check out the odd post you share, concentrate on that and relax on the other stuff please. 

Just being honest here as you could genuinely put out some fantastic media in my opinion. 

Thanks mate! I agree with what you say about raw, i actually prefer it myself. My audience tends to be younger people and usually my raw clips haven't done as well on my Instagram.  We have all heard the music they listen to (shite:lol:). 

On 11/4/2019 at 9:06 PM, marg26 said:

Overall thought it was OK given the theme, almost liked it except for the jarring blank frames!

Thanks will take on board and try sort this out for smoother watching.. Don't want to give anybody epilepsy. :lol:

On 11/19/2019 at 5:50 PM, Luke Rainbird said:

The fuck was that shit? :lol:

The F#ck are you?:lol:

On 11/19/2019 at 7:49 AM, isitafox said:

Oh dear god.....:ermm:

Also, if you're gonna post a muscle-up video, post a muscle-up video

I will do.

On 11/20/2019 at 9:56 AM, JD™ said:

Imagine being as deluded confident as Mike Beck.

It's great:shades:

On 11/20/2019 at 8:07 PM, Ali C said:

hmm, we thought people would be more interested in us with our tops off squatting each other...I trust Mark will supply the suitable edit to match.

Not a bad comment that Ali, to say you uploaded a video promoting mental health and depression, I can take most people's comments on here as constructive criticism or banter, that's pure taking the piss. Contradiction at its finest, don't you think? 

It's a shame that those who are more well-known in this industry, aren't usually the best riders out there. I always speak highly of you to everyone, but it seems you are quick to put me down just because my "media" or uploads aren't your taste. Yours aren't always mine either, but I would never leave you any negativity, or anybody else for that matter. So, I'll go back to my original point of you uploading a video on your channel about depression and mental health. Think about it. 

But we all know you couldn't squat a shit out, so I wouldn't bother.

Mike Beck

The thing is Mike you seem very open to accept praise on your content but seem to struggle when people give you critism, I've tried to offer some constructive critism in the past (even given you lots of advice when you messaged me) but you seemed to ignore most of it. The only way to really get a response from you was to go in a little harsher (and tbf my post was a little piss takey but I've had plenty worse belive me!). 

You can make all the videos you want but one thing that's struck me is you seem quite desperate to get success through riding and have tried to copy successful creators and surf their wave rather than actually go out and put the work in. Your Instagram tags are actually insane and half your comments are from bots... Not wanting to sound harsh but it's quality over quantity and I just don't get your plan. Taking shortcuts will only shoot yourself in the foot long term. 

My questions still stand, who are these videos for? 

If you want my genuine advice? 

Delete every bot or person that comments with a generic comment, and stop posting emojis on other people's content (actually comment with something that shows you watched /appreciated it), post meaningful content that has a story (your latest videos had so much fluff and filler they'd be 30 seconds long if they were edited) and don't directly copy other users (I'm talking Ali Law/Ryan Taylor), be yourself and find what sets you apart from others (hint, it's TGS riding... It's hard to self film but it's possible, go out and do it). 

Essentially what I'm saying is you really need more substance in what you post. Less caps, fewer "Mike Beck" text shoved down our throats and less trying to cheat the system by avoiding putting in hard work. 

I genuinely don't mean to shit talk or put anyone down, I wish everyone success in what they do but the way your doing it is pretty weird

• Like 2

Good to see the riding :P  

The editing style's still a bit strange to me though. The line involving the skinny wall was weird, you looked like you were going to sidehop, then cut to a different shot of the almost sidehop and then to a cut to a tap up it?  You obviously have the skills to make a great riding video, that's what I'm waiting to see. 

• Like 1