Mike Beck: JUST MOVE

Mike Beck

5 hours ago, stirlingpowers said:

Respect for doing that 10p sidehop on Harry Main.

Also Main doing a 5p cousty sidehop from rear after fifteen minutes on a modern comp bike is probably a new learning speed world record for Trials. Further evidence for a cross-discipline bike skill level, after Sam Pilgrim's inconclusive experiments.

Yeah it's cool seeing these guys who are at a top level in other sports coming over to trials but it's like Akrigg, Danny and Fabio just smashing it on the other bikes. Ali is a great example of an all rounder just on the one bike, park, street, rocks, pump tracks and I bet he could xc his hex quite well. 

Nice to see you riding the rocks more often again @Mike Beck the last time we saw this properly was in a mod video years ago. Great to see you teaming up with someone to film you. It always takes two. Harry and Skeggs not doing things together has hugely made his channel take a back step in my eyes. 

Annoying little ride to Matlock yesterday, chain tensioner decides to slip as soon as I'm warming up. I needed both my sets of allen keys to fix it, I only had one with me!!!!

It was either head straight back home or just hand tighten it up as much as possible and get on with it, refused to not come back with anything, Either way its riding non the less i suppose!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J67nU4usOQQ&feature=youtu.be 

3 minutes ago, Mike Beck said:

Annoying little ride to Matlock yesterday, chain tensioner decides to slip as soon as I'm warming up. I needed both my sets of allen keys to fix it, I only had one with me!!!!

It was either head straight back home or just hand tighten it up as much as possible and get on with it, refused to not come back with anything, Either way its riding non the less i suppose!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J67nU4usOQQ&feature=youtu.be 

Raw and more vloggy would be better, it just seems a little over edited and less chilled out. When it's over so quickly it's actually harder to take in how big most of your riding is. 

23 minutes ago, Paperclip said:

Raw and more vloggy would be better, it just seems a little over edited and less chilled out. When it's over so quickly it's actually harder to take in how big most of your riding is. 

Fair comment thanks for the advice! With having the problem with my chain, I did only manage to get them few clips and nothing else and wanted to make use of them. After watching it back i agree with you.

40 minutes ago, Paperclip said:

Yeah it's cool seeing these guys who are at a top level in other sports coming over to trials but it's like Akrigg, Danny and Fabio just smashing it on the other bikes. Ali is a great example of an all rounder just on the one bike, park, street, rocks, pump tracks and I bet he could xc his hex quite well. 

Nice to see you riding the rocks more often again @Mike Beck the last time we saw this properly was in a mod video years ago. Great to see you teaming up with someone to film you. It always takes two. Harry and Skeggs not doing things together has hugely made his channel take a back step in my eyes. 

Cheers man, really enjoying riding rocks at the minute, just wish I knew of more places to ride and hopefully get more people involved!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was kinda hoping some upper level Pogo guys would do a vlog that wasn't absolute shit and cringe worthy. Orban Gabi does one that I usually can't sit through. This is more way over edited stuff. You can ride urban so I'd stick to that, try and do lines fast and with more movement not trackstands with 6 rear set up hops. Don't struggle to do your max do your 85% and make it look good with as much flow as you can. You look super uncomfortable on rocks very few make rocks look good or can do them fast enough or show the tech aspect. Try involving friends in your video, game or bike or add a move as your personality isn't interesting enough just yet to watch just you. Sadly most trials riders are bland and flat and get by on being nice over interesting. Don't do pov it's really bad for Pogo, not enough movement unless you're going crazy. At least you are trying but it's going to be about the riding riding riding not you trying to be a model or a YouTube personality just yet. Lots of good riding clips with snippets in about bike/life. Not sure if these guys on here are your friends but they ripped you apart deservingly. I followed you for a week because I saw a clip than it was a bunch of pics in jitsie gear and shit so I unfollowed. Mtbers are much more likely to be your bros and follow your knar shedding so consider that as all the guys hop on the mtb train for good reason. Audience and real money sponsorship. The street guys are only ones putting out good content for years now. It's sad TGS and Pogo is boring as f**k

• Like 2

That advice essentially just boils down to “make a shit full riding video weekly”, which isn’t really going to do anyone any favours. 

Vlog = video log, it’s not about it being an edit. It’s about it being a bit of a diary. 

Whether Mike should or shouldn’t be doing vlogs is not the point, but diluting the concept of a vlog until it’s just about putting out video that has none of the ‘diary’ aspect and none of the care of a full video (which can’t be made every week with any quality), would be ridiculous. 

Do vlogs, or full edits, or both. But not something that’s neither. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, trialsinfrank said:

It's sad TGS and Pogo is boring as f**k

It's not, which is the weird thing.  CLS, Damon, Tunni, Andrew Dickey and those guys put out some amazing videos that were far from boring, and seeing guys like Carthy go huge is always great too.  The only reason they're 'boring' is that no-one puts time into photos/videos, whereas the street guys do.  Andrew Dickey's videos went relatively viral despite being 'pogo'/TGS so it shows it can be done.

Ali's points related to this in the HKT Podcast interview he did were spot on.

• Like 4

The epitome of a TGS edit that video, Mark! I still watch it regularly. So good.

EDIT: Sorry I realise I've gone a little off topic with the below...sorry Mike. I'm sure it'll come in time, and it's not easy trying to stand out from a saturated market.

There is some cheese in the video below, but Fabio's latest v-log had some legit sh*t in it, so much so that with enough proper filming, some of Fabio's lines could have gone in a full edit. However, anything over edited, cheesy (such as trying to get caught by speed cameras) can get in the bin. That said, some of the guys I ride with seem to watch all the vlog stuff, so I guess they're the market rather than a grandad like me...

Edited by ben_travis
  • Like 1

I didn't mean TGS is boring I meant that there is not content so the "scene" is boring Now. Wording is wrong I should have said dead not boring Bersha Watson Neil all my favorite riders and most watched besides stuff from Ben travis, Ali C when he rides trials, markW vids of riding with brakes :P. For Mike Basically hook people with your best urban riding than pose in your jitsie gear and tight jeans when people actually care. I'm the only one in my city that sits through Ali's vlogs when about trials to hear what he says and catch the clips. He's honest it seems which is a big thing. If I think you're at all a fanny I'm not investing my time to help you get views and make huge youtu.be money, sarcasm. The quest for fame and money took aurélien away from great videos and competing which sucks. Pros that train can expose diet and exercise to make stuff interesting. Joe shmo sidehop better be super charasmatic or funny if the riding footage is pov of your cranks or an easy mtb enduro trail. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2018 at 0:25 PM, Mike Beck said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSGlsWwADig

Short ride out in my hometown with the GoPro, after the fall i actually chipped my ulna (lower arm bone) OUCH!! 

surprised you didn't break everything with this being your front end set up :barf:

you need more GOREZZZ AIDZ and 4k and hella DRONE shots and hashtags, that’s what the children eat now a days.

302A642D-54AD-4B41-9950-52F2C2B7E2BF.png

• 1 month later...

I know you've bought into the whole clickbait YouTube title idea, but making people watch 3 minutes of you climbing the wrong stairs with the pay-off being some backhops on a concrete block isn't a great way to retain viewers who might have been enticed by the promise of "MTB STREET TRIAL".   

There are plenty of London rooftop spots where you could show what you're actually capable of on a bike - I get you wanted to show somewhere high for the drama factor, but seeing as you were in London for a few days from the sounds of things you could probably have made a bit more of your time if you were there primarily to get clips for your vlogs/other videos?  You can probably allow your clips to speak for themselves a bit more too.  As an example, you don't really need to put a 10sec long caption of "MAD VIEWS" before putting aforementioned "MAD VIEWS" clips on.  If the footage is good enough you don't need to justify it, and if it isn't good enough then you need to work out why and try and rectify that for the future.

• Like 1

Did you watch this back and think, yep, I've really done well there?

Try making a video that you put effort in to and that you really believe is the best you can make. Even if it gets a single view, at least it would be decent and you would be pleased. And don't try to be like other people you see. Cut the clickbait, cut the trash music, add more than one trick per video if its going to be 7 minutes and just be a little more humble.

Or keep doing what you have previously done and upload all the remains of a nasty curry scooped out the toilet. Up to you really.

• Like 2

Despite me riding street stuff and not really having an interest of the comp side of things, I watched this video a while back and still really enjoyed it, It had a story, a lot of content and was well put together. It isn't really clickbaited, has not got idiotic music and mostly, it had a point to it. I'm not saying recreate it, but take a leaf of of this book.