Mike Beck: JUST MOVE

Mike Beck

Tip from someone who’s tried to give Mike tips:

Mike doesn’t come here for tips, he’s already the greatest rider/videographer in the world in his mind, he comes here to post a link to his latest piece of utter garbage. 

I feel like I’m being unfair to garbage. 

• Like 4

On 10/4/2018 at 0:40 PM, Ross McArthur said:

What's motivating you to do these Vlogs, Mike?

I'm just really enjoying it man, trying to find a balance that appeals to everybody not just trials riders. Loving being out there at the minute and going to different places. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 0:58 PM, Mark W said:

I know you've bought into the whole clickbait YouTube title idea, but making people watch 3 minutes of you climbing the wrong stairs with the pay-off being some backhops on a concrete block isn't a great way to retain viewers who might have been enticed by the promise of "MTB STREET TRIAL".   

There are plenty of London rooftop spots where you could show what you're actually capable of on a bike - I get you wanted to show somewhere high for the drama factor, but seeing as you were in London for a few days from the sounds of things you could probably have made a bit more of your time if you were there primarily to get clips for your vlogs/other videos?  You can probably allow your clips to speak for themselves a bit more too.  As an example, you don't really need to put a 10sec long caption of "MAD VIEWS" before putting aforementioned "MAD VIEWS" clips on.  If the footage is good enough you don't need to justify it, and if it isn't good enough then you need to work out why and try and rectify that for the future.

You could possibly go check David Wallace Shoot's Youtube channel, and watch his version, there you will find that these "wrong" stairs are indeed the right ones to the rooftop that was climbed.

I wasn't in London to vlog or make a video of what I am capable of on a bike man, I was there on a shoot. 

Thanks for your input/tips. 

18 hours ago, Mike Beck said:

...there you will find that these "wrong" stairs are indeed the right ones to the rooftop that was climbed.

Was just going from the bit at the 3:30 mark where it seems like you get to a dead end, then go "There must be some different stairs" or something along those lines.

What shoot were you on?

INSPIRED TEST

First time out trying my latest bike ( Inspired ) small video of all the clips filmed yesterday evening. So much to get used to and learn on this style of bike, as it is so different to just pure trials! Having a blast going back to basics and learning all over again. Please leave me some feedback, like and subscribe. Thanks for watching

Some feedback, as you're actively trying to get followers/subscribers.

If you're trying to hold people's attention and get people to like and subscribe and your video is 2.44 long, don't use the first 40 of those seconds filming a woman on a bench, a man pulling a boat and some fence posts, that song's not exactly gonna keep anyone awake either. A lean 2 minutes is better than 2 minutes riding plus 44 seconds of scenery. That wasn't so bad 15 years ago, but in today's attention whore times people just don't have the attention span, and for stuff like that I don't blame them.

I might be biased, I don't like vlogs, I think they're boring and they drag on and when combined with clickbait (lies) it becomes a lazy way of begging for views and likes and all that instant gratification without putting the actual work in to just make the best riding video you can, which I KNOW is a lot of work, I've been there and I can't be arsed these days. BUT a lot of people do like vlogs and I realise drip feeding people regular average clips will go further than putting out 2 amazing videos a year. So the vlogs that are successful seem to be by established big names who have already spent years making the big videos and are just known for being great, and that people are interested to find out about them and see what's behind the scenes. It's not an insult at all but in my 20 years riding trials and 15+ years on this forum I've never heard of you, maybe I'm out of touch and you're a big name, but if not.... by putting out all the Instagram, FB, Twitter links and putting your name everywhere without having a back catalog/reputation to back it up seems like the reverse order of doing all that stuff successfully.

Also, being called "Mike Beck Media" I was expecting a higher standard of production in the media itself.

Now I'm waiting For Khabib to either get knocked out in 4 seconds or beat Conor to death for 25 minutes.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, LEON said:

in my 20 years riding trials and 15+ years on this forum I've never heard of you, maybe I'm out of touch and you're a big name, but if not.... by putting out all the Instagram, FB, Twitter links and putting your name everywhere without having a back catalog/reputation to back it up seems like the reverse order of doing all that stuff successfully.

Hahah xD 

Fair play Mike. The inspired test video was actually alright. Huge improvement over the previous anyways, good job. Intro was still a tad long for my liking and a few shots were quite shaky but, it was watchable. Stick a helmet on though eh? 

Edited by Archie H

You're clearly a really good rider mate, but please don't go the Inspired clone route in a quest to get views. MASSIVELY overdone by now, and unless you're fully committed to it I doubt you'll get too far as everyman and his dog is 180'ing down some stairs or tyre tapping off low ledges :(

Big TGS video, big moves, less suspense, less build-up. Maybe some commentary at the end of it all, along the lines of move X was super hard, took ages to nail or line Y I snapped a pair of forks on so was worried trying it again etc etc....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Canardweb said:

Can someone explain me what clickbait is? 

All this Vlog thing is something I am not interested in or understanding. So I won’t judge what you do Mike but honestly, I really find your videos boring.

Well, Google says... "Clickbait is a pejorative term describing web content that is aimed at generating online advertising revenue, especially at the expense of quality or accuracy, relying on sensationalist headlines to attract click-throughs and to encourage forwarding of the material over online social networks"

Try to end your videos on a high Mike. As in, a move that you had been trying in the video which you actually land. Or any other high note for that matter.

For example.

Golf gloves. :lol:

On 5/25/2018 at 7:39 AM, Davetrials said:

Ahh this is wonderful, I'm only commenting so i can get updates. 

Ive grown sick of vlog's, theres certain theme.

example:

Yep.

This is basically the whole world now. If your video is dull, don't worry, just use your girlfriend's tits. 

Actually, they could be any tits, doesn't matter. Arse? Even better, doesn't even have to be related to the video, doesn't even have to be IN the video, you know what's gonna be in the video anyway, some tattoos, some sunglasses, a backwards hat and an energy drink, anything else is just to get it past the 10 minute mark.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 6

My advice.

Don't change what you do just to try and gain popularity.

Firstly it seemed like you tried to copy Ally Law/Ryan Taylor with the rooftop thing and now it seems you're trying to get on the street vibes despite never riding street before. There's also no story, these videos have been so different from each other and with no explanation...people like consistency or at least some kind of story/reasoning why you're doing what you're doing in the video. 

I may be wrong but that's how it seems. You're a good TGS rider and that's what you should be pushing. That Inspired video just made you look like you started riding fairly recently, maybe if you'd made it into a story with some bits to camera explaining how you've never tried street (I assume?) but wanted to give it a try...then it might have some appeal, as it is you just repeated a load of lines, had un-pulled tricks and an unnecessary intro (trying to be cinematic?).

Like I've said before, don't sell out and do things you wouldn't normally do...play to your strengths, try and make things a story and you'll find you'll then attract people who are actually interested in you and will become  long-term watchers. Doing click bait videos or trying to do stuff because it's what other people do will only ever give you short term gains and will actually slow down your long term viewership...people can smell fakeness a long way off.

Lastly...Youtube is NOT a viable way to make a living unless you get lucky or are able to consistently provide valuable entertainment regularly. I've been making a video every week for over two and a half years, I have the biggest biking channel in Scotland and I can't earn a living from it directly...I have tried to be true to myself, not take shortcuts and not do it for the money, I believe my fans are ACTUALLY fans and I'd rather have 50,000 people who are actually into what I do and value my videos than 500,000 who don't really care. 

Why are you making videos, what is your goal?  

• Like 3

Nice to see people advicing you in the good way Mike. Community power after all.:) 

I miss riding videos nowadays. When talking and landscapes were just meant to be few seconds transition / intro and when spots, creativity and lines did the whole job. The ones you could get inspired by, as a rider, not as a Vlogger/influencer  Today it's becoming rare to find content (forget insta) that's not a "How to", "unboxing / building", Vlog, or kinda Vloggy video. I get the point that trying to earn money with bike / videos is something hard... But it's another story. I wonder what makes you want to do them Vlogs Mike, is it for a living/extra money purpose or not?

I watch lot of videos before / after riding. I have time and I like it. But when it comes to get quick motivation before heading off to spots, I won't watch a "howToVlogUnboxingSeeMyCarSelfie" video. Though Dan Foley's "Vlog" were so nice : Riding. Off voice Stories. Steez and no extra/useless stuff. 

Even if there's a bunch of good old Edits. There's no really "freshness" about watching the same old parts over and over. Especially when you know them perfectly.

Fortunately few Top riders/Cameraman still do them! 

Would be cool to see a video from you riding the bike you like the most, on many good looking spots, trying hard on some personal achievements. And as said above, with stories behind, fun quotes. Trying to keep some clips day after day. 

I'm just that 3.0 random guy, and I may miss what younger generations want to watch nowadays. Just telling what keeps few of my riding friends and I, entertained. 

• Like 2

On 08/10/2018 at 8:12 AM, Ross McArthur said:

Well, Google says... "Clickbait is a pejorative term describing web content that is aimed at generating online advertising revenue, especially at the expense of quality or accuracy, relying on sensationalist headlines to attract click-throughs and to encourage forwarding of the material over online social networks"

Thanks a lot

Don't worry Mike, their all just jealous. Wish I was #8494414 in the world. Although, as mentioned previously, you could easily half that number if you put a pair of tits in the thumbnail. Just a thought...

image.png

(I have no idea why 'Muslim funds and stocks' is being advertised)

image.png

Edited by Archie H
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Something screams its spitting random estimated figures out! its got to come from some facts though,

I'd never heard of the page, its a demanding and full time job that some people can do! I however just can not get myself to be filming my daily life to fill in the youtube as a youtuber because im not. 

Hey maybe one day!

A lot of the Youtubers who get the most views are the ones with absolutely no talent whatsoever, if all you want is views then do reactions to other people's work and make a dramatic thumbnail, it is the absolute laziest content possible, some of the absolute shit I've seen lately.... and once a couple of people react to a song or video, the rest of them jump on it, there's no quality control whatsoever, once you've clicked that's it, I watch some genuinely funny channels by people who do it for fun and call out these attention whores, but yeah, you really have to be an over the top dramatic willy to make it to the top these days.

I hate the internet. I just came on the internet to tell you that.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 3