Rear disc brake for 20"

Canardweb

Hi everyone,

I ride 20" pure trials mainly on natural sites. I have been riding hope brakes on the rear for quite some time now and both my spare brakes have numerous leaks, I have been fixing them since I have had them but I get tired of them so I want to get something else.

What are people’s opinions about today’s disc brakes? What do you reckon I should use? I read Maguras are powerful but have issues on the levers? Please let me know.

Edited by Canardweb

10 hours ago, ogre said:

why not just get them serviced? get a bb7 :rolleyes: king of power and reliability

In a bike shop you mean? I don’t trust them really. Here the shops are kind of unreliable, they would give me the brake back with even more problems than before and say it’s my fault when I would come back. Plus I know how to service them myself and I did many times without long success. 

Anyway I tried again this afternoon and it seems the brake works fine again. Can’t explain how it can have so much inconsistancy.

I considered a BB7 as I had one on the front a long time ago but as it seems my brake is magically working fine again, I will keep on riding it for now. 

I am also asking for a hydro brake  if anyone can advise me on one for next time.

Edited by Canardweb

On 6/4/2018 at 4:30 AM, Canardweb said:

Saw that thank you. But I found it more orientated towards street trials.

While street trials is spins, concrete and dabbing on your tire... I think they still use brakes sometime.

17 hours ago, Canardweb said:

I meant it more in the way that they need modulation when I need that on/off performance.

word, which may be why all comp riders still ride with whatever weird future “hs-33” bendy snappy big piston rim brakes... any of those discs with trialtech pads will be as grabby as can be, the pad makes the difference between modulation and on/off... hence some riders riding with modulation pads front and on/off rear.

• 3 weeks later...

On my pure bikes I've always run either Vbrake or HS33s. However I did have an Alias 20.1 for a while that was dual disc. Admittedly it was set up for street, but I really like the setup. I had a Magura MT5 a/160mm rotor in the back and it was flawless every time. I've only had one problem with MT5s over the years (that I couldn't fix myself) and I sent it back to Magura and they sent me a new brake. Most of my MT5s have never been touched since install except for pad changes. My one MT7 is the exception as I've had more problems with it (more complex), but ATM it's working fine also. My fav was Vbrake rear for pure. I gave up on Hopes too.

Magura brakes feel much more like a rim brake in terms of lever feel than Hopes too.  Think it's mainly down to the springs in the levers, but they just feel a lot more responsive and lighter at the lever.  MT4s if you want to save a bit of weight (get some Jitsie pads for them) or MT5s if you want a bit more power (Trialtech/Jitsie MT5 pads again).  HC3 blades are a worthwhile investment too (Y)