Total beginner from Burton

On May 30, 2018 at 11:30 AM, Imrantrials said:

Hi.  So recently I bought an echo 24" . Really keen on learning trials.  Tried learning things like track stand.  But not getting very far.  I'm in my early 30s.  Looking for help and someone to help me ride trials. 

Have you looked at TrashZen.com?

I started about a year ago, and was initially very frustrated with track stands. What finally worked for me was leaving both brakes off, slight uphill, just using pedal/crank to roll forward and hill to roll back. It took me a long time.

Also try riding extremely slowly, almost stopped, and a quick pedal up to back wheel. Use the technique on TrashZen and practice practice practice! Also try endo to back wheel to endo to back wheel..... And 2 wheel hops. All that practice of the basics gets you much better balance.

Don't give, I started in my mid 50's. Progress is very slow but continuous! It's really helped my mountain bike skills & confidence on slow steep rocky technical trails, which was my original goal. Now I'm liking my trials bikes (Echo 24 & Inspired Flow Plus) as trials bikes!

I got my flow plus last year but couldn't ride due to health reasons , now on the mend but find everything harder than I remember as I could do a fair amount of stuff on my old mtb when I was younger ( now nearly 40 ).

One problem is finding somewhere quiet to ride as self-conscious about how much I suck , the other not having anyone to ride with / to help with tips etc.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Unfortunately i dont have a car at the moment to drive that far about with my bike. But i do have a back gardem and a park nearby to practise and enough space for manouveres . I have some pallets and bricks to practise on too. but i havnt got that far yet. im still stuck on the track stand.

Alot of videos say you need to be slightly moving on pedals and turned wheel at 45 degrees. but my bike seems to shoot of when i try that. I'm rtying to learn trackstand with locked wheels, what i mean is i press and hold the brakes while trying to trackstand at the same time. Been at it for a few days.

5 hours ago, Imrantrials said:

Alot of videos say you need to be slightly moving on pedals and turned wheel at 45 degrees. but my bike seems to shoot of when i try that. I'm rtying to learn trackstand with locked wheels, what i mean is i press and hold the brakes while trying to trackstand at the same time. Been at it for a few days.

Try it on a slight uphill. Pedal up the hill, slowly come to a stop (no brakes) with your front wheel at 45 away from your strong foot. Keep your weight half on your strong foot, half on the back pedal. If you need to roll forward gently put more pressure on your front (strong) foot, just a little!

Ok.  Sometimes I really wanna sell this bike.  Why did I buy a trial bike if I can't trial. Maybe it's the wrong bike size? 

I've got an idea.  I'm willing to pay a bit of money anyone near by to come check out my bike and help me out.  How does that sound?  If someone can come round and check it out and give me some pointers to help this noob.  That would be great.  

Thanks .