Advice wanted

Alanward87

OK so here goes I'm 31, 5 foot 11 and 14 stone 9 not fat just former gym freak. I used to ride trials as a teen but that seems like a lifetime ago. Just brought a new house in the woods and it would be a shame not to make full use of it.

My son is aged 10 and is just getting into biking properly. I'm looking for something I can go out for a ride with him on and not be left behind yet still have some light trials fun on and maybe some light jumping. I'm asking a lot from one bike I appreciate this.

I was looking at something like a Bergamont Kiez 040 26" 2018 model. Only being able to find them online it's hard to say if it will be capable of meeting the trials side of it or if it would just be like flogging a dead horse. What's your guys thoughts? 

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to give their opinion. 

I tried this with a Norco Manifesto, then bought a hex. I can learn moves on the Hex and then transfer them to the Norco, but learning on the Norco was frustrating. If you want to learn actual trials you would be light years ahead picking up a used trials bike for learning.

14 hours ago, Shadytree said:

I tried this with a Norco Manifesto, then bought a hex. I can learn moves on the Hex and then transfer them to the Norco, but learning on the Norco was frustrating. If you want to learn actual trials you would be light years ahead picking up a used trials bike for learning.

Sam Pilgrim did the same, now has a Flow Plus with Maguras. And he was already pretty good on a jump bike...

If you decide to go for a general all-round hard tail, it's worth checking out the rear disc mount to make sure it's reasonably well reinforced.  The one on the bike you mentioned original is a fairly generic/catalogue dropout and mount, so with the extra forces that trials will put through it you've got an increased chance of breaking the frame there.