Tartydays 2018

trialsalot

So Radfest is done and Tartydays is on the horizon. I've not been to either before but was fortunate enough to do a Koxx Days when I was younger which was awesome.

So who's going and where are you travelling from?

Hopefully put plenty of names to faces and see some old ones.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Radical Bikes ran a dirt jump event themselves earlier this year and had around 1/3 the turn-out they had last year, so it isn't limited to trials.

There were probably a few contributing factors to it - possibly a little too late in the year, too close to other comps, etc.  

Ironically since it's been cancelled a few people have come forward and said that they were planning on buying tickets nearer the date, but I still think it possibly would have been too little too late.

It sucks, but hopefully next year's event will go better.

6 hours ago, Mark W said:

Radical Bikes ran a dirt jump event themselves earlier this year and had around 1/3 the turn-out they had last year, so it isn't limited to trials.

There were probably a few contributing factors to it - possibly a little too late in the year, too close to other comps, etc.  

Ironically since it's been cancelled a few people have come forward and said that they were planning on buying tickets nearer the date, but I still think it possibly would have been too little too late.

It sucks, but hopefully next year's event will go better.

If there is an event next year...

18 hours ago, Canardweb said:

Trials is just dying I reckon... and that’s a shame

Where's the promotion? This google search only shows me one website listing the event, and that's a dedicated trials website so pretty niche and targetted.

There's YouTubers riding trials, who also ride mountain bikes etc, with tens of thousands of subscribers, so there's people interested in watching it, and a small proportion of those might even have a go.

Why not push it to the attention of the mountain bike press?

Edited by marg26
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Canardweb said:

If there is an event next year...

I think it'd be fair to say lessons have been learned from this one.  From speaking to Stan they're planning on trying something out that'll be a little different to previous Tarty Days/Weekenders.  

To @marg26 - that Google search shows me more than one result, but that's algorithms and stuff at play I guess.  There could have been more promotion for it, but I'm not sure 'the mountain bike press' is the way to go as it's not really going to be of as much interest to the wider world.

Previous years have sold really well without having to go down that route too, and although that's not to say that other options shouldn't have been explored, I think it's probably more of a reflection on the time of year of the event, how people are feeling about making the trip to ride places/events, and so on.  As mentioned before, Radical Bikes themselves have had issues with low attendance so it's not necessarily restricted to the trials world either.

Anyways - sounds like they're putting on an event in lieu of the Weekender.  I hope everyone who goes has a good time!

On 08/09/2018 at 6:10 PM, Mark W said:

I think it'd be fair to say lessons have been learned from this one.  From speaking to Stan they're planning on trying something out that'll be a little different to previous Tarty Days/Weekenders.  

To @marg26 - that Google search shows me more than one result, but that's algorithms and stuff at play I guess.  There could have been more promotion for it, but I'm not sure 'the mountain bike press' is the way to go as it's not really going to be of as much interest to the wider world.

Previous years have sold really well without having to go down that route too, and although that's not to say that other options shouldn't have been explored, I think it's probably more of a reflection on the time of year of the event, how people are feeling about making the trip to ride places/events, and so on.  As mentioned before, Radical Bikes themselves have had issues with low attendance so it's not necessarily restricted to the trials world either.

Anyways - sounds like they're putting on an event in lieu of the Weekender.  I hope everyone who goes has a good time!

I hope they will make it next year. I was really starting to see myself going this year, and that would have been my first trials « meeting » ever so that is a bit disappointing, but also motivating for next year. I would like to attend to Radfest and Tarty days events...

Edited by Canardweb

18 hours ago, Canardweb said:

I was really starting to see myself going this year, and that would have been my first trials « meeting » ever

A heads up for everyone related to this, it really helps if you can buy tickets with a bit of time to spare. We had to balance 'giving people enough notice it was cancelled' with 'waiting as long as we could to see how many would be coming', and to receive disappointed emails either way is tough. It feels impossible to find a balance.

As Mark said, September is a funny time of year with lots of parents thinking about going back to school, but we did an event on 14th September before and it was 'sold out' (only 35 riders though) and we had more wanting to come. We will definitely go for earlier in the year for future events. Promotion I feel has been a little down compared with previous years, but we haven't really gone about it in a different way and with the amount of people we had asking about it ever since ticket sales started earlier this year (much more notice than normal) I thought we'd get to a 'runnable' amount of riders pretty easily.

From an emotional point of view, running a weekend like this takes it out of all of us for at least a week either side of the event. On top of normal 9-5 work the prep is immense, then it's a long drive to Essex from us and unloading / sorting out when we get back is a mammoth task.

Financially it has always been run at a huge loss but we do this to 1) give funding to Barrow Farm to help it stay open and 2) try to get everyone together at least once a year. Venue hire was £4500 this year (cheaper than previous years because Radical Bikes now have power to the field, rather than us having to hire a 10Kw generator), so on top of the other outgoings it would have cost us around £150 (even after your £25 ticket price is deducted!) a rider just to run.

Good to hear that there will be some sort of event on so those who have planned to go still get a good weekend out of it! As mentioned, we haven't been put off running events but we will do something different next time and see how it goes :)

On 09/09/2018 at 7:34 PM, Canardweb said:

I hope they will make it next year. I was really starting to see myself going this year, and that would have been my first trials « meeting » ever so that is a bit disappointing, but also motivating for next year. I would like to attend to Radfest and Tarty days events...

Don't be put off by tarty dropping out, there is still a good number of people going. 

A lot of people don't realise the work that goes into events like this, sadly. Even disregarding the financial aspect (which is far from negligible) it's a huge effort from all involved and to have poor numbers of people buying into it is a real shame, although absolutely no reflection of the work put in behind the scenes.

With the current state of trials it's becoming harder to put on this sort of thing now I would imagine. Perhaps a few more jam-style events would help keep things ticking over, but that in itself is a whole different handful of headaches waiting to happen too.

Massive kudos to the entire team for what you all do, Ads & Co (Y)

• Like 1