Tartydays 2018

trialsalot

On 13/09/2018 at 10:52 AM, johntrial said:

After about 10 years we haven´t Dressler camp this year in Czech :( For me it was the best event ever. It´s a shame...

Seriously? This is crazy, it looked like a crazy good event! Always loved watching videos of it afterwards. Seems trials is really dying now!

That’s because people watch videos of it instead of buying tickets and going.

Same here, but I’m not whinging about the fact that I might have gone this year maybe as long as my horoscope said I should and my chakras were aligned and I wasn’t on my period. 

• Like 1

On 12/09/2018 at 5:18 PM, Davetrials said:

Seems like trials is one of the only things Social media hasn't helped

There are people making a living from riding solely from social media - people who otherwise wouldn't have been able to through 'conventional' sponsors.  You can see clips from the worlds best riders who ordinarily wouldn't have put videos out.  It's possible to discover riders you'd never heard of simply through a hashtag.  It's helped it massively.

On 14. 9. 2018 at 8:03 PM, Canardweb said:

Seriously? This is crazy, it looked like a crazy good event! Always loved watching videos of it afterwards. Seems trials is really dying now!

Yeaaa, I´ve never missed any Dressler camp from the very first one. Anyway last few years the main problem was with the date. Because every year Dressler camp was in the same date (bank holidays in Czech). And there were some world cups in the same date in last few years. So unfortunately a lot of riders chosed competition in stead of trial, fun and rock´n´roll :) So the organizers were facing of lack of riders... the same problem as in the UK I think. I hope we will have Dressler camp again in the future... but it doesn´t look good. We will see...

On 15/09/2018 at 10:08 PM, Mark W said:

There are people making a living from riding solely from social media - people who otherwise wouldn't have been able to through 'conventional' sponsors.  You can see clips from the worlds best riders who ordinarily wouldn't have put videos out.  It's possible to discover riders you'd never heard of simply through a hashtag.  It's helped it massively.

I am sure it has helped. But not always in the right way as it has become more and more a niche in a way. Because you need to be on these social medias and follow the right pages/person to access all these things. But the forums which are more convenient and easier to access have suffered from the lack of interest and participation in the same time. I don’t want to use Facebook anymore as I don’t desperately want things to be as they were before. I guess progress and evolution is something you can’t stop so that just makes things what they are...

4 hours ago, johntrial said:

Yeaaa, I´ve never missed any Dressler camp from the very first one. Anyway last few years the main problem was with the date. Because every year Dressler camp was in the same date (bank holidays in Czech). And there were some world cups in the same date in last few years. So unfortunately a lot of riders chosed competition in stead of trial, fun and rock´n´roll :) So the organizers were facing of lack of riders... the same problem as in the UK I think. I hope we will have Dressler camp again in the future... but it doesn´t look good. We will see...

That’s a shame. Especially as I don’t really enjoy competition’s trials... Keep us updated in the future.

50 minutes ago, Canardweb said:

I am sure it has helped. But not always in the right way as it has become more and more a niche in a way. Because you need to be on these social medias and follow the right pages/person to access all these things. But the forums which are more convenient and easier to access have suffered from the lack of interest and participation in the same time. I don’t want to use Facebook anymore as I don’t desperately want things to be as they were before. I guess progress and evolution is something you can’t stop so that just makes things what they are...

Your point about needing to be on the right social media to see things is the same as needing to be on a forum? 

You can still search social media in the same way you can search a forum to view things too, for example on Instagram I just search for the things I'm interested in to see them without having to follow many people. 

The main benefit, and what makes it less niche to me, is that rather than having to be on TF, Espacetrial, whatever the Spanish forums are, the Russian forums, etc., it's a much bigger, broader international audience.  It's an example I use often, but I quite like Shintaro Otake's riding and I would never have seen him if it weren't for Instagram (and happening to search for a hashtag).

In terms of following riders, Instagram is by far the better one to use, and is a much nicer place to be in general than Facebook from my experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark W said:

Your point about needing to be on the right social media to see things is the same as needing to be on a forum? 

You can still search social media in the same way you can search a forum to view things too, for example on Instagram I just search for the things I'm interested in to see them without having to follow many people. 

The main benefit, and what makes it less niche to me, is that rather than having to be on TF, Espacetrial, whatever the Spanish forums are, the Russian forums, etc., it's a much bigger, broader international audience.  It's an example I use often, but I quite like Shintaro Otake's riding and I would never have seen him if it weren't for Instagram (and happening to search for a hashtag).

In terms of following riders, Instagram is by far the better one to use, and is a much nicer place to be in general than Facebook from my experience.

I was just talking about the time factor. I mean that forums were here before Facebook and you don’t need to be subscribed to read them. But as for the rest, I know you are right, I never said you were not.

Edited by Canardweb

Slightly more on topic: with or without the official event taking place, much fun was had this weekend.

Thanks to Tarty for prompting a goodly gathering for we that are, on the whole, so disorganised that we can't even manage letting other people organise nice things for us :lol:

• Like 9