Sheared rotor bolts

Rory Semple

Where exactly do you mean by halfway down, Rory?

Flush/lower than the face of the hub mount is going to be a bit tricky to remove, though if it's above this then you should be able to remove the rotor and remove the studs with some molegrips (no head on the bolts means no tension on the threads so they'll be easy to whizz out, other than any corrosion going on inside). If there's nothing standing proud of the mount to grab hold of, then you'll need to drill them out, or get someone experienced to help if you're not too confident doing so yourself (Y)

Be careful not to over-torque the new rotor bolts when you refit the rotor. They only need a pretty low torque and doing them more than is necessary will do more harm than good.

If they are broken down inside the hub mount the best thing I have found for that kind of thing are left-handed drill bits. Center punch the bolt first then start drilling into it with the left-handed bit and at some point it should catch and come right out. 

Thanks for the tips!

I’ve managed to get the first one out. It was sitting very slightly proud of the hub, but not enough to grip with mole grips/pliers. 

I used a very small chisel and a hammer and managed to slowly tap it round enough so that I could get the mole grips to grab it.

will most certainly need to drill the other one out as it is sheared near the bottom of the hole.

Is there loctite on the bolts? I'm guessing so. I've removed a bolt before by super gluing (extremely carefully) a smaller bolt to the sheared of part and unscrewed it. It had no loctite and the threads were clean. Bit of heat will help melt the loctite too, again very carefully!