Ashton Edd Tongue Street Build Progress

Private Repress

I thought some of you might like to see some of the progress I’m making with an Ashton ET build. Loved these bikes when they came out, but soon became so engrossed with work that trials fell to the wayside and Enduro riding took over. Inevitably trials moves started to emerge whilst I was out on trails on my full suspension rig, fuelling the desire for a trials bike again. I’ve been patiently looking for a cheap 24inch project bike to put my own stamp on when I saw this on eBay. 

Needless to say I won the bid, and now I have my ‘do a upper’ 

57906526-905D-41B1-B063-E8824BDA69CC.jpeg

Edited by Private Repress
Typo
  • Like 1

First thing was to change the bar and stem, and get some colour coordination, so with a bit of advice from @Ross McArthur on geometry I went for inspired riser bars and a 90mm 35 degrees trial tech stem, some new grips and managed to find a NOS black middleburn bash ring on eBay - happy days!

@Ross McArthur thanks for the advice, the bar and stem set up feels great!

0B41D9D7-756E-42BC-8D19-7D2D72101F7E.jpeg

7B0AC3E3-6955-45D1-ABBD-CE449DA6D74C.jpeg

C792A6A6-D2A5-4FE5-87FE-14FB4F2028F1.jpeg

D4E10D96-C9DB-4A6F-A175-99570792048F.jpeg

• Like 1

Decided on getting the forks done at the same time as the frame and settled on grey for the colour. Shot blasted and powder coated for £30 (frame and fork) seemed a bargain to me! I’m collecting them this afternoon so fingers crossed the finish is good!

I had a bit of time on Monday evening spare, so up next was the wheels...

6285C18D-0674-4DD0-AA9E-6EF51F443AF6.thumb.jpeg.5218e02ea9098a92365636388d20a349.jpeg

I kind of like the white rims but they were tatty - I didn’t want to eat into the budget changing them, but the paint finish was old and flakey so I decided to strip the paint instead: 

2C590DB7-FE32-4716-BE05-D1027C6930C6.thumb.jpeg.eb329215f800615b7e7ac7850c7d8986.jpeg

I used Nemesis paint stripper from screwfix, it was £25 but I didn’t have to use much, there are some good alternatives out there too, Wicks’s own brand stuff is very good and is sold in smaller amounts.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/nemesis-paint-varnish-remover-2-5ltr/2698t

Wasn’t to sure how they would look, but I’m delighted with the results... makes them look like new!

5DB9DD5A-588B-4B66-9D57-17179ED83F94.thumb.jpeg.4529d117a731f05d1a2718aeccac520c.jpeg

673FED28-2C6B-4AA3-B414-FC63E017D81A.thumb.jpeg.f01ffa497fc05eace8d389514f0f25d2.jpeg

Typo and failed picture upload
  • Like 1

A delivery of goodies for the build arrived today:

Black Magura HS33R - I’m 31 and and receiving a brand new magura in the post was like being a kid on Christmas Day! Amazing how it brought back all the nostalgic memories and feelings! 

KMC cool chain - ran one of these on my Giant Trials Team, still going ‘strong’ today having fitted it around 12 years ago :unsure:

4-Jeri chain tensioner - can’t wait to tidy the clutter at the rear triangle and take that horrendous rear mech off. The bike should look a lot cleaner. Planning to run the chain pretty short.

DMR V12 pedals - the bike came with some battered V8’s with less teeth than Sam Pilgrim, so was toying with the idea of V6 plastic alternatives, but in the end I’ve used V12’s on all my bikes for years with no complaints or foot cramps!

Magura storm 180mm rotor - the bike came with a hope mono trial brake, whilst it’s in good condition, I’m not a fan of the bleed system - and I know magura inside out having ran both MT5’s and MT7’s on my Enduro rig. So I found a cheap MT4 on eBay (£35) which has been taken off an eBike. The lever is similar to that on the HS33 bizarrely. So in prep for that being delivered (hopefully tonrrow) I ordered the new disc.

1245486A-AE14-44E3-879F-C7957908B895.thumb.jpeg.aef9538beff34e56ca20f61e9a4f3581.jpeg

Very nice. Happy to have helped on that bar and stem combo! Looks spot on. Funnily enough, I used to run a 120mmx15deg stem on mine with 1.5" bars haha. Nice on the back wheel but hard as hell to pull up to manual.

Good decision on stripping the rims btw. They look great in that raw alu. Excited to see what the frame looks like once painted. Are you thinking of getting stickers made up for it too?

Hopefully you can get a good tension on that chain with the single wheel pully.

14 minutes ago, Ross McArthur said:

Very nice. Happy to have helped on that bar and stem combo! Looks spot on. Funnily enough, I used to run a 120mmx15deg stem on mine with 1.5" bars haha. Nice on the back wheel but hard as hell to pull up to manual.

Good decision on stripping the rims btw. They look great in that raw alu. Excited to see what the frame looks like once painted. Are you thinking of getting stickers made up for it too?

Hopefully you can get a good tension on that chain with the single wheel pully.

Cheers Ross - yes I was after something that could manual well, and it certainly does with this cockpit. Debating whether to run a grind on the rear wheel or not, just can’t be doing with the screaming brake at skateparks, but I need something dependable. 

I’ll be collecting the frame and fork today and getting the build done early evening - so excited to see how it’ll look too. I’ll be sure to get an update up on here later.

Definitely going for some custom stickers, I know a guy that can do them. Debating on having ‘Ashton’ or ‘Trials Noir’ at the front of the top tube (or at the bottom of the down tube possibly), but definitely decided on one for the badge location - moon with E.T in the bike basket sillouette haha...

DA579D78-89DE-4CC2-BB8E-BF5C1987E390.thumb.jpeg.3a58ee846d0fb569de3b685dd2ff997a.jpeg

First of all. If you put "Trails Noir" on that thing I'll slap the face off you :P Trial Noir! Good idea! It'd have to be in the text Chris used too?!

Im not 100% on that model tensioning up but if it can and you can get the tension right it would be a good move. It'll be something along the lines of taking the spring out and flipping it round? I recently found a super cheap tensioner on ebay which does exactly that. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202382814823 doesn't come with a bolt to mount it though... I've had mine on for a while and it works a treat.

Personally I wouldn't go with the whole Phone Home stuff... too much of a gimmick.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ross McArthur said:

First of all. If you put "Trails Noir" on that thing I'll slap the face off you :P Trial Noir! Good idea! It'd have to be in the text Chris used too?!

Im not 100% on that model tensioning up but if it can and you can get the tension right it would be a good move. It'll be something along the lines of taking the spring out and flipping it round? I recently found a super cheap tensioner on ebay which does exactly that. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202382814823 doesn't come with a bolt to mount it though... I've had mine on for a while and it works a treat.

Personally I wouldn't go with the whole Phone Home stuff... too much of a gimmick.

Well spotted, that was a genuine typo, but yes it would be in the same style font. Maybe just leave the stickers at that. 

Tensioner fitted and seems to be doing the job well, not had a proper ride yet but messing around on kerbs it was pretty solid. Thanks for the link though, I’ll bear that in mind!

Progress update...

I picked the frame and fork up this afternoon and I was really impressed! Especially considering the price. here’s a pic in transit (riding shot gun haha):

472481DE-540B-4301-8BCD-882C901DB0B9.thumb.jpeg.1131fc745cf0128842d5c7ddf2afe611.jpeg

The finish is incredibly glossy, it was still warm when I collected it, fresh out of the oven.

Another couple of pics so you can see it in daylight:

78FD1085-6B4F-4370-8978-45FA3C1A6A4D.thumb.jpeg.bb858d0158c03a8cb3708cd91a467fbb.jpeg

B56CB29D-7D31-4488-9587-BC8B6A9D8FFA.thumb.jpeg.e95c55ebab4e6e24e5cbec355911c502.jpeg

Looks so fresh, and cleaner without those cable tabs :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pete.M said:

Nice, and quite possibly the frame I used to own:

Link to thread from 2012

Funny you should say that, I thought the same thing - I’ve seen just about all he ETs on the forum. Who did you sell it to? Any distinguishing marks? Got to say the frame doesn’t have a mark on it - great condition. 

After a good few hours work here is how far I got:

A197DCB4-15ED-4385-B9CE-632BCCEAE1C8.thumb.jpeg.902bd86a22fb8e3ec0acb56a42cb0119.jpeg

Please excuse the seat (new one arriving tomorrow). I also get some better pictures up.

I love the way it’s turned out.

I’d also love to say it was a simple build, truth is, it was a sod.

Despite the painters capping the BB, some paint made it onto the threads - that made things difficult from the get go. Perseverance paid off though, lots of sweat and tears later the threads were clean and the BB was fitted.

Next up, fitting the headset and forks... nothing to go wrong here I’m thinking. Couldn’t have been more wrong! The star fangled nut decided to spin in the centre, so I couldn’t nip up the headset. Lots of swearing lead me into the garage looking for some inspiration for a quick fix... managed to find an unused new nut... sweet! Apart from the fact echo forks have an alloy steerer that’s considerably thicker than the steel counterpart - meaning the new nut wouldn’t fit (balls!). Decided to cut some extra slits and hammer the thing in, which worked surprisingly well!

Getting over the worst of he problems, I looked forward to setting the HS33 set up, only to get it out the box and immediately remember how fiddly these are to set up on evo mounts haha. But enjoyed doing it and did it with the tyre off for ultimate accuracy. Was surprised how much plastic is on them now, bit cheeky when one now costs pretty much what two used to (I remember a pair being £90!)

Anyway, slapped the tyre on, put it on the bike, inflated to 50psi. Bolted the wheel up spun the wheel which abruptly stopped, checked the far side to find the tyre had not seated correctly, resulting in a fat bulge of tube trying to escape the rim. Argh! 

Worse things have happened, cracked on, got everything in the photo fitted, and went for a little spin. Straight away I noticed he chain jumping - the alignment needed sorting, so whipped the rear cog off and adjusted the spacers, also flipped the chain ring over to give the fat chain more clearance from the beefy middleburn bash. 

After a few choice words I put it all back together then went for another spin...

I have to say I love the way it rides, popped up a manual and managed the whole street on the first go, a true case of love at fir...second sight haha.

working away tomorrow, so Friday will be the next chance I get to finish it off, but all that’s needed now is the front brake and seat, and I’ll need to trim the rear hose and rebleed the HS33. I’ll look into the custom stickers over the weekend too :)

Cant wait to get out riding!

EDB2B7A9-68CF-4312-907F-0BCA71BFF8ED.thumb.jpeg.702da0779d3dbbe7576e7507691ffe9e.jpeg

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

@Ross McArthur do you have a pic of that tensioner on your bike? Not a big fan of how much the 4-Jeri sticks out and might get one of those 

• Like 1