Top best brakes of 2018

NINJА

Hope pads feel pretty average after you try pads from anyone else.  The Trialtech/Jitsie/Clean pads with that copper-y looking backing plate are all the same pad, so whichever you choose from them is fine really.  

The only thing I'd really suggest is giving the specific MT7 pads a swerve as they seem to have more pad knock than going for the MT5 versions instead.

• Like 2

On 17/09/2018 at 11:07 PM, LEON said:

Those stats, even if true mean nothing in the real world when they're using it to make brake levers that get knocked about and hit the floor, I've seen more breakages and accidents caused by Magura's plastic levers than just about every other brake combined in the last 20 years, who even buys modern HS33s? They're shit, all their products went downhill since they replaced aluminium with plastic (it's plastic with a fancy name) like their turbo pad wear adjuster (a screw).

just on the topic of this, the material which is from what i can gather, injection moulded carbon fibre- carbon inside plastic pellets- is actually really strong. magura just seem to not use the appropriate material thicknesses where its needed+ some questionable lever mechanics, which is a shame as its giving the material a bad rep- i think it couldve done really well.

I'm sure it's useful for safely saving weight in a lot of applications, I don't think small brake levers with moving parts is one of them. I can't imagine any other bike part I'd wan't it used in either.

I had EBC red pads in my old Saints, they were excellent, I tried Trialtech and they were slightly more powerful still, but they knocked quite badly, they were a bit overkill for the front brake on a 203 rotor too so I used them on the back only with the duct tape compromise.

4 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

Can a trials brake ever be overkill? I think not. Overkill me right up when it comes to my brakes!

That saint on a 203 with TT pads was more than enough for the shittiest gaps to front, instant bite, but for stoppies? f**k that! The tiny drop in harshness with EBC pads made the difference. But yeah on the rear I want max power.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Any changes on what you'd recommend now for "budget and expensive brakes, suitable for trials/street-trials."

I've currently got a Hope XC brake (yuck dot fluid) on the front and an MT7 on the rear which I still haven't managed to get right. I don't like having 3 different brake fluids at home, so am really considering going to Shimano to match my other bikes.

They all run SLX, and I get some good results practicing (definitely still firmly in the beginner camp) but they're just not quite there for the rear.

4pot Zee set are on bike-discount.de for £165. MIghty tempting any reasons why not!?

Edited by marg26

There is much to be said for sticking with the same brand across your stable just for ease of maintenance (if you're the maintainer that is) and familiarity of setup. I'm married to Magura across all my bikes now so that definitely diminishes my desire to buy a different brand too. I finally sold my last MT7 and replaced it with an MT5. Trialtech MT5 pads in the rear, stock 9.1 Magura pads up front. Done. 

12 hours ago, marg26 said:

I've currently got a Hope XC brake (yuck dot fluid) on the front and an MT7 on the rear which I still haven't managed to get right. I don't like having 3 different brake fluids at home, so am really considering going to Shimano to match my other bikes.

They all run SLX, and I get some good results practicing (definitely still firmly in the beginner camp) but they're just not quite there for the rear.

Stick with the MT7 and get an SLX or MT6/4 for the front. Dont know why your keeping different mineral oils for magura and shimano, it doesnt make any difference if you use their own branded one or not, all brake mineral oil is pretty much the same.

• Like 1