NINJА

Top best brakes of 2018

35 posts in this topic

Hope, Jitsie, Kool stop or Clean pads?

I think they're all pretty good, I upgraded my tech trial pads when I got it but I can't remember what with. 

Edited by LEON

Hope pads feel pretty average after you try pads from anyone else.  The Trialtech/Jitsie/Clean pads with that copper-y looking backing plate are all the same pad, so whichever you choose from them is fine really.  

The only thing I'd really suggest is giving the specific MT7 pads a swerve as they seem to have more pad knock than going for the MT5 versions instead.

1 person likes this

Same as the Jitsie (and Trialtech).

1 person likes this

On 17/09/2018 at 11:07 PM, LEON said:

Those stats, even if true mean nothing in the real world when they're using it to make brake levers that get knocked about and hit the floor, I've seen more breakages and accidents caused by Magura's plastic levers than just about every other brake combined in the last 20 years, who even buys modern HS33s? They're shit, all their products went downhill since they replaced aluminium with plastic (it's plastic with a fancy name) like their turbo pad wear adjuster (a screw).

just on the topic of this, the material which is from what i can gather, injection moulded carbon fibre- carbon inside plastic pellets- is actually really strong. magura just seem to not use the appropriate material thicknesses where its needed+ some questionable lever mechanics, which is a shame as its giving the material a bad rep- i think it couldve done really well.

I'm sure it's useful for safely saving weight in a lot of applications, I don't think small brake levers with moving parts is one of them. I can't imagine any other bike part I'd wan't it used in either.

I had EBC red pads in my old Saints, they were excellent, I tried Trialtech and they were slightly more powerful still, but they knocked quite badly, they were a bit overkill for the front brake on a 203 rotor too so I used them on the back only with the duct tape compromise.

Can a trials brake ever be overkill? I think not. Overkill me right up when it comes to my brakes!

Speaking as someone who had a 203mm BB7 on the front of a mod, no :P 

4 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

Can a trials brake ever be overkill? I think not. Overkill me right up when it comes to my brakes!

That saint on a 203 with TT pads was more than enough for the shittiest gaps to front, instant bite, but for stoppies? f**k that! The tiny drop in harshness with EBC pads made the difference. But yeah on the rear I want max power.

Edited by LEON
1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Mark W said:

Speaking as someone who had a 203mm BB7 on the front of a mod, no :P 

I was going to say exactly that!