Slx cranks

dk2

1 hour ago, LEON said:

How did the Saints break? SLX are VERY light, I had them briefly but then a few people snapped theirs and I saw how literal the "Hollowtech" thing is.

Two of the chainring-bolt holes crack with this as a result. The axel and pedal threads seems fine..

20180912_143214.jpg

I've got SLX on 3 bikes now with no issues and I'm 180 lbs. I have one that was a triple ring cut down, the other 2 were the double version cut down. The double ring version has better spacing for our uses. I haven't tried the SLX single ring or the Boost versions.

• Like 1

I ran the SLX for a little while before going to SRAM XO.

I filed the chain ring tabs down a bit as well as filing off the bash guard tabs and found no issues.

Where did the BB crack? I know some folk run the Shimano Saint 83mm DH version of the BB cups as the drive side has more threads. So if you have chain ring clearance issues, you can run 3 spacers without the fear of stripping the little amount of threads contacting the frame. Its also a good idea to run the dust cover between the cups (I usually removed it, to save weight. Trials init). Keeping it in, not only stops crap getting into the inside of the cups but it holds the cups more plumb under pedalling (BC'ing) forces.

Edited by Ross McArthur

Left the thread inside the frame. Done it a few times now...im trying no to run spacers as this gets some more "cup" material inside the frame(im thinking this should make it stronger), and using a 24mm spacer to get chainring clerance.. saint bb is ordered...

20180918_182442.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah I've cracked all the shimano BBs I've ever trialsed on. My euro BB bikes I run Hope BBs and no problems for years. The other SLX setup is on an Echo so Spanish Eclat BMX bearings with 24mm BMX spacers. Worked out better than I thought it would.