Cranks

Archie H

Hello,

I'm in need of new cranks as i've got fed up using ISIS BB with separate cranks. Issue i have is i've got the inspired console which has a very small space for a chainring and crank clearance is pretty poor with the frame. Anyone with this bike who could tell me a good option? I looked at sram GX which seems great apart from needing a £70 chainring from inspired (is that worth it?). Then the inspired bmx style cranks seem good but they are a lot. Could i use BMX cranks, odyssey thunderbolts mabey? Mabey saint cranks? Any race face options? In terms of gearing ratios i could go up to a 26 on the front (assuming clearance is okay) then 18 or something on the rear (currently 22:15).

Thanks very much! :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, Archie H said:

Then the inspired bmx style cranks seem good but they are a lot. Could i use BMX cranks, odyssey thunderbolts mabey? Mabey saint cranks? Any race face options? In terms of gearing ratios i could go up to a 26 on the front (assuming clearance is okay) then 18 or something on the rear (currently 22:15).

Thunderbolts don't fit, so that's a no-go.  If you want a bashring you'd realistically need to stick to cranks with a micro-drive boss too (e.g. the Inspired cranks) as there aren't really any other bashrings available unless you go for a BMX sprocket with bolt-on guard.  They're a minimum of 25t though, I don't think you can get away with much more than 22t on that frame.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Bleech said:

I have recently switched from DMR Cult cranks (which were very good and lasted me 5 years) to the Eagle GX, they are super easy to fit and I can feel the weight difference when riding. They are a really nice setup with the Inspired Bashguard.

The thing I’m questioning is how good is that bashguarg and is it really worth about 70 quid? I know that they have improved the strength in the updated version but it’s still aluminium and I wonder how long it lasts before wearing down (from the chain). Also it can’t be rotated like a 4 bolt chainring so you get lots less life? I’ve never used one though so they could be excellent.