Julius Czar

Best place to buy mtb frames?

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys. A few months ago I wound up with a ‘09 Boardman pro. The frame is 20” and I’m only 5ft 6” so it’s a bit on the tall side for me. 

89AAD2D1-3559-4F98-97B7-65F5FB18E894.thumb.jpeg.3b1029cc79f143bb94c6fd817bdb8ad2.jpeg

Ive been looking for a new frame but I can’t seem to find a great variety, and with the bike being 26” I’m struggling to find frames that aren’t 27.5”- does this matter? And would it be a case of just buying new rims and lacing them to my current hubs? 

Alternatively if anyone here has a 26” medium sized frame going (17-18”) then I’d be interested in doing a deal. 

Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you make the switch to 27.5" you may also need new forks - doesn't look to be much space under the fork for anything larger than you already have fitted.

Worth a look on Pinkbike and Singletrackworld, as well as the usual eBay/Gumtree scouting (Y)

Might have an 18" Boardman FS frame in the garage if it's of any use to you? Was a ~2012 IIRC, and was the last 26" model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Luke Rainbird said:

If you make the switch to 27.5" you may also need new forks - doesn't look to be much space under the fork for anything larger than you already have fitted.

Worth a look on Pinkbike and Singletrackworld, as well as the usual eBay/Gumtree scouting (Y)

Might have an 18" Boardman FS frame in the garage if it's of any use to you? Was a ~2012 IIRC, and was the last 26" model.

Ah yeah that’s a good point, I hadn’t noticed that. I’ll give thoses sites a try and see what I find.

And yeah I’d be interested, I’ll pm you. 

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

eRmJeMnBOQPQ9jVSb3C0qgA7ZIxtMmFHst2dN7fdGLLY9pfKlT1J-Rf1E37d-pnGiryp5OAVe1Aiyx69j_LXcQ0cAOqtDW7e7nV6TWBfSTGfW9p3hZ9gbqX2jxqudmzayLzckTQTA7KxQNd2DbqzXwpS2JjTUBWobA8VLgRb_uhxTyjkowFTtSCDYzF8KWa335QKGFSbImGPqYamiltouS9UrFe9cPLdTeZnfqmEb0X7UNirYo5GY526KbMhJcmNo5ikbg0p1FEPO492ydBPnnjdkMJZKlL1seyPx7I30whqdCYXcnBCNqqdYIUAFDazTVNq_ZjdKTT70xVgo2WVWe8nGb03kEQz9Cr6DGaUeg1xVGSk0bblEj46HxTiAUdN9C61XQm-F_PWDZsuONXtYfAJ4tyoCV_u8a3Q5gy8rozdfPeYJKerkeZpm6-xGHM433G9tAfPJxXz-WkRlIi-gEX4dTU52KKrfYSY9Wkq9UDegFsnTL3Fzrl9BTbH51xRLxkNb9TpMFUfKg2KeoL0pGW_2tI3qrp50XqYY6Vn5xrKI_UbdTQ--tH0PSSuWv8Wu9LRMqWIQ8hVAe264kLwz2rDe9KU3ecvdLB_obGxQnxDUOjPvjYbAcYWhwoogAhAxz8mQzbbY0ZSImOLM4QT173W=w958-h719-no

 
I've got this for sale if its any good to you? £50 posted.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Al_Fel said:

eRmJeMnBOQPQ9jVSb3C0qgA7ZIxtMmFHst2dN7fdGLLY9pfKlT1J-Rf1E37d-pnGiryp5OAVe1Aiyx69j_LXcQ0cAOqtDW7e7nV6TWBfSTGfW9p3hZ9gbqX2jxqudmzayLzckTQTA7KxQNd2DbqzXwpS2JjTUBWobA8VLgRb_uhxTyjkowFTtSCDYzF8KWa335QKGFSbImGPqYamiltouS9UrFe9cPLdTeZnfqmEb0X7UNirYo5GY526KbMhJcmNo5ikbg0p1FEPO492ydBPnnjdkMJZKlL1seyPx7I30whqdCYXcnBCNqqdYIUAFDazTVNq_ZjdKTT70xVgo2WVWe8nGb03kEQz9Cr6DGaUeg1xVGSk0bblEj46HxTiAUdN9C61XQm-F_PWDZsuONXtYfAJ4tyoCV_u8a3Q5gy8rozdfPeYJKerkeZpm6-xGHM433G9tAfPJxXz-WkRlIi-gEX4dTU52KKrfYSY9Wkq9UDegFsnTL3Fzrl9BTbH51xRLxkNb9TpMFUfKg2KeoL0pGW_2tI3qrp50XqYY6Vn5xrKI_UbdTQ--tH0PSSuWv8Wu9LRMqWIQ8hVAe264kLwz2rDe9KU3ecvdLB_obGxQnxDUOjPvjYbAcYWhwoogAhAxz8mQzbbY0ZSImOLM4QT173W=w958-h719-no

 
I've got this for sale if its any good to you? £50 posted.
 

I can’t see the picture for some reason! Not sure if it’s just me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rear hub will need to match rear dropouts. Guessing that the '09 Boardman is a standard QR (135x10), whereas modern frames are 142x12 or 148x12 (Boost), with Boost becoming the way things are going.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up my 2008 intense 5.5 from pinkbike for 260 quid and quite frankly it's awesome. Short, playful and very efficient.

For reference it's a small and I'm 5'7" ish :)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or the Ross's Rides selling group on farcebook has some good deals on there.

If you're happy with 26" then some great bargains can be had but be aware that they're likely to be older frames so potentially a bit tatty/hammered.

Edit:

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2480974/

There you go :)

Edited by forteh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, forteh said:

Or the Ross's Rides selling group on farcebook has some good deals on there.

If you're happy with 26" then some great bargains can be had but be aware that they're likely to be older frames so potentially a bit tatty/hammered.

I’ll check that out, and yeah I think I’ll stick with 26" as it’s just a case of swapping the bits over to a new frame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, forteh said:

I picked up my 2008 intense 5.5 from pinkbike for 260 quid and quite frankly it's awesome. Short, playful and very efficient.

For reference it's a small and I'm 5'7" ish :)

Short is an understatement - that thing is tiny!

Still a great looking bike, 10 years on. Much faster than mine uphill too, though that's the legs that are powering it more than the bike :)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wheelbase is 1080 I think, nominal bike lengths are about 2-300mm longer these days I think; the reach measurement is comical though, about 330mm :D

Back when the 5.5 was designed (2003-4ish?) it was considered a very focussed geometry, very fast but you have to really be on it to not get unstable; short wheelbase, high BB and 70° head angle.  I'm running mine with 160mm forks (as opposed to the 140mm max recommended) and offset bushing on both ends of the rear shock, this has slackened the head angle to 65.5° which is considered moderately steep these days.  Personally I have no issues with it stability wise but then the bars are high and the weight is back, with seat at full height (for my stumpy 29" legs) the grips are level with the saddle.  I can't compare it to modern geometry but I certainly don't feel uncomfortable chucking it down a hill :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.