Do you use Facebook?

MadManMike

Do you use Facebook?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. As per the title, do you use it?

• Yes
    • No
    • I used to, but have since left

I've recently decided to come off Facebook, not for good, but limit the use by removing the app and any shortcuts to it. It's only day 1, but I already feel better for it - I came to the realisation that it was piling nothing but shit in my face and wasn't adding any value to my life.

Curious to know if anyone else has had similar thoughts.

• Like 1

I generally only use facebook these days when I receive an actual notification. I've also kept on top of my news feed so all the shit I don't want to see isn't there and now it's pretty much family and friends pictures and trump memes.

I had to do some pretty active management of the people on my feed and use of the “I don’t want to see this” option for other pages, but it’s ended up alright again these days for me. 

Biggest improvement was hiding “parts in a lift” posts, that helped a lot. 

• Like 3

I came off Facebook almost two years ago now due to the same reason as you. I never really used it anyway, other than to post exploring pictures up. I don’t miss it at all, after about a month of not using it I went back and changed from a deactivated account to a permanently deleted account. Some of my friends were a bit shocked when they asked why they couldn’t find me on Facebook, but I don’t regret it at all. 

2 hours ago, JD™ said:

Biggest improvement was hiding “parts in a lift” posts, that helped a lot. 

Yeah, what a dick that guy was!

I only use it for work and keeping up with my contacts around the world, even then though we've tended to switch to email, Facebook is too temperamental I find. I still push my work on the relevant pages, but even then everyone's an expert and it just gets tiring explaining yourself. It has crossed my mind though to remove myself from it, as you realise the time on there is for nothing.

I enjoy Instagram alot more, just more focused on what I want to see, an it gives me what I want from it. I see the odd advert, but no starved dogs, no posts about veterans living on the streets, no Brexit/UKIP tosh just the odd product ad. Call it burying your head in the sand but it's how I'd like to enjoy my time spent on apps I choose to use.

5 hours ago, Tom Booth said:

Yeah, what a dick that guy was!

I only use it for work and keeping up with my contacts around the world, even then though we've tended to switch to email, Facebook is too temperamental I find. I still push my work on the relevant pages, but even then everyone's an expert and it just gets tiring explaining yourself. It has crossed my mind though to remove myself from it, as you realise the time on there is for nothing.

I enjoy Instagram alot more, just more focused on what I want to see, an it gives me what I want from it. I see the odd advert, but no starved dogs, no posts about veterans living on the streets, no Brexit/UKIP tosh just the odd product ad. Call it burying your head in the sand but it's how I'd like to enjoy my time spent on apps I choose to use.

Pretty much my thoughts summed up, of course without the business side of things as I don't actively push a business on there.

I found FB comments sections WAY too easy to get dragged in to - too many idiots to try and educate on most interesting pages ("Road Tax" for cyclists, anyone?).

This is my second day of not using it and honestly I've had no urges to look. Most of the notifications are to try and get me to boost posts on my photography / MX-5 pages, or they're telling me that someone I don't know has posted in a group I don't really use... Yeah I'm sure I could tweak settings to avoid those, but I don't value FB enough to dedicate hours of my time cleaning it up and fixing settings that shouldn't need fixing. 

I still have an account but hardly ever use it anymore so went with 'no'.

I only add people from time to time as a backup incase I or they lose a phone number, don't even bother checking my feed anymore, last time I did no one was posting anything anymore either so there's no use really.

I have always used it primarily for messenger and add friends as more of a contacts directory. I never post and rarely look at things on there. So I said no to the poll.

My New Years resolution last year was to remove all “social” media apps from my phone and turn off a lot of app notifications, to stop me glancing at my phone when with other people. It’s literally only messages and calls that get through now.

I had FOMO for a little while, but that soon wore off. And I still check in on Facebook notifications and browse Instagram on my computer at home a few times a week. 

3 hours ago, MadManMike said:

Pretty much my thoughts summed up, of course without the business side of things as I don't actively push a business on there.

I found FB comments sections WAY too easy to get dragged in to - too many idiots to try and educate on most interesting pages ("Road Tax" for cyclists, anyone?).

This is my second day of not using it and honestly I've had no urges to look. Most of the notifications are to try and get me to boost posts on my photography / MX-5 pages, or they're telling me that someone I don't know has posted in a group I don't really use... Yeah I'm sure I could tweak settings to avoid those, but I don't value FB enough to dedicate hours of my time cleaning it up and fixing settings that shouldn't need fixing. 

It's the age old opinions are like arseholes line in my opinion, but it's just super easy to voice your opinion on Facebook.

My line of work is super niche as you may have guessed, I really pride myself on getting factory colours and finishes. Alot of people restoring machines don't as it's A- expensive for the hobbyist an B- time consuming. But when you post something in a professional capacity, showcasing what you can and have achieved with this machine and knowing to the best of your ability that thing is factory fresh, Terry a retired postman who has 'restored' (read as brush painted and autosol'd it abit)  a machine 10 years ago, but don't select that one as it doesn't like that one can pull it apart, for no reason other then it's not to his taste.

The world seems to have lost it's courtesy I guess, I know we're all sarcastic dickheads on here too eachother and I'd never expect less, but I've 'known' some of you for well over 12-15 years (holy shit...) and it's just a given how you'll read/react to the post. On social media, some gimmer I've never met will give me a 10 point breakdown of why my product is wrong and how to improve it, not ideal when I'm asking money for the product for possible customers to see this. So then you politely diffuse the situation, when really you wanna tell them to f**k off and go and enjoy they're piece of shit they think is worth as much if not more.

It's a weird one, I think it's very apparent in the smaller groups like my jukebox pages, Jenny goes on a few sight hound groups, if you post on those you've bought a puppy you get annihilated for not rehoming an ex-racing greyhound, if i was fresh to these groups and i saw that kind of attack I'd run a mile.

It's a shame as they could be such good tools and have been good for me and a lot of small businesses, but it's the ignorant dicks that just spoil it for all.

I use Facebook for my athlete page and that's it. I posted once on my personal page last year.

Just yesterday I trimmed down my friend list on my personal page from 800 to around 150 (need to go and trim some more as I was on my phone and it didn't show them all) so that when I browse (which I still do) I'm not seeing a load of crap I'm not interested in...it's so much better!

• 5 months later...

Quite a few people...

I'm back on there now, but when I went back to it I culled a ton of people off my friends list and left almost every group / page I was on and started fresh. That and having FBP plugin setup properly, it's not a bad place to be now.

I still struggle to keep out of comment section arguments though, there's too many awful people to reply to and not enough time! :lol:

• 3 months later...