Are red bull athletes immoral?

Mikee

That's fairly shit. Yeah they're both horrible for your body in different ways. How much did they smoke? It's amazing this far in, with so much knowledge and data about smoking that people still choose to breathe in smoke. I think once energy drinks have a long history like tobacco then people will know more, but for now it's just a fizzy drink with a cool looking can.

4 hours ago, Mikee said:

Addiction, brain damage, cancer from one cigarette? What?

https://www.verywellmind.com/there-is-no-such-thing-as-just-one-cigarette-2825222

(This one is a bit old) https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/07/070703171843.htm

https://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/features/can-you-get-away-with-social-smoking

https://www.nhs.uk/smokefree/why-quit/smoking-health-problems

Sure, you could find similar articles about energy drinks, but the number of people it is effecting is no way near that of smoking.

Some times in both casesnot as much as some people I know the former also  lives in London and London air is dirty as the later didn't use filters in their roll ups you could argue that they were both gennitacly pre disposed to cellular mutations but meh

As a now ex smoker i honestly can't believe tobbaco is still a thing it was starting to ride trials again after many years off that got me to stop smoking as i got out of breath while riding it would be nice for the argument if it was a red bull sponsored vid that made me catch the trials bug again but it wasn't unfortunately :  )

On 1/17/2019 at 5:29 PM, Mark W said:

It's not just trials - Garrett Reynolds is one of the best BMXers in the world, and he only has one paying sponsor (Red Bull).  Other guys like Chad Kerley only have one paying BMX-specific sponsor, the bulk of his income comes from non-endemic sponsors.  Believe it's a similar story for Dennis Enarson too.  The majority of 'pro' BMXers are making virtually no money now, so without those alternative sponsors they'd be screwed.  The issue is that there are so many companies out there that each company is effectively getting a smaller slice of what is already a slightly smaller pie.  Factor in rising costs of parts but expectations for RRPs to be low and it makes it even worse.  Bearing in mind the order of magnitude trials is smaller than BMX, it's unsurprising there are only really probably 2 riders out there who are actually making a living from riding their bikes (in the sense they could do nothing but ride their bikes as they choose to and still make a living).  The same lack of money for companies is behind that too.

Semi-related to that, but a lot of the heavier drinking/smoking BMXers now have sponsors who make CBD-related products, natural supplements, etc.  There's been a pretty big shift over the past few years.  One formerly-pro BMXer stopped his riding career to start a juicing cafe when he got seriously into health-related stuff.

The morality thing depends what level you want to take it to as well.  Is someone buying a Red Bull better or worse than someone buying a pair of some BMXers signature shoes made with animal-based materials (e.g. suede), and soles that are glued on using some pretty nasty substances?  Is that better or worse than the gigantic carbon footprint created by the UCI MTB World Cups flying huge amounts of people all around the world to race down some tracks and hand out some meaningless baubles and jerseys?  What about e-bikes that use batteries that are reasonably environmentally damaging to create?

Speaking of energy drink sponsorship, this is laughably bad: 

Still reading the comments, but really didn't want to miss the opportunity to express how truly awful every attempt he makes at marketing is. 

That takes the win for me, just quit this ridiculous you tube game. do demos like every other trials rider trying to make a living. 

• Like 1