Engineers of TF, advice needed!

isitafox

My local gym has got a steel rig made by the previous owner which is huge. The new owner is looking at getting some pullup bars fitted to it going off my advice but I'm not sure if it is going to be doable in terms of strength.

Could any engineer type folk advise if it would be possible to have a pullup bar (custom made) mounted where the yellow line is in the pic attached? It would obviously require braces above and below to hold it up but I'm not sure if a combination of the two (due to the shape of the rig) will be sufficient.

The bar would be 33.7mm and could be split into 4/5 sections but would need to sit at least 600mm from the rig itself.

rigmod.jpg

Easy enough to do, I would go with the layout of the upper photo above, utilising the vertical members to make attachment easier.

Make four gallows brackets the same size, the two inner ones will be inverted and in tension, the two outer ones will be in compression. Some sort of tube clamp can then be used to hold your 1" gas pipe on, at a pinch it could probably be lashed on with some decent rope.

Depending on how big the existing steelwork is you may be able to use either keeklamps or lindapters (or similar) to clamp the gallows bracket, ideally bolting through or welding would be better but you might be limited to what tooling you can get there.