Leeson 26" Frame Restoration and modification

mike425

I bought this frame used from Julius Czar on here last year with the intention of building it with a load of parts I have left in the garage from years ago. However, my other half had a baby 4 months ago and I just have never found time until recently. I bought a new clear 660 about 16 years ago from Clive and I completely regret ever selling it so this goes some ways to filling that gap. 

It is not a "normal" clear 660 frame, I think it is longer and it has no seat. to be honest, I am well passed using magura rim brakes so I am adding a rear disc mount and I might just remove the magura mounts completely. 

Also I am not a fan of seat less bikes so whilst I am at it I am going to add a small seat mount and run it with one.

The frame also has some dents in the rear stays I am going to fill these with braze and then sand them back so the frame will look good as new. 

The build is pretty old school as I am reusing parts from donkeys years ago. So far:

Hope XC rear hub on a Sun singletrack rim

Hope proII front on a singletrack rim

Middleburn cranks.

Slightly newer but I have a set of Hope Mono Ti discs for it.

Stem and handlebars to be confirmed

Forks to be confirmed (I am tempted to go with something more modern from inspired here.)

I have made and filed the disc mount to fit, I have a small home made jig I have used before for centre and locating it. The seat post is mitred and a slot cut. 

So I am hoping to braze these on and finish it this week, I will also be adding some cable guides for the rear brake hose....

Frame as it currently is:

IMG_20190127_173205.jpg

Seat post made:

IMG_20190127_173214.jpg

Dents to be cleaned up:

IMG_20190127_173235.jpg

Disc mount cut to size and mitred:

IMG_20190127_173341.jpg

Edited by mike425
  • Like 3