26" Rear Street rims / Pads for smooth rims

Brettoll

Hola,

In the process of acquiring parts for the Hex and I am wondering what kind of rear rim and pad set up.

The rim must be 26" and black, which is fine - looks like Inspired and Spank are the go to, any others of note?

Also - are there decent pads around now that I don't have to grind? Or is it worth going for trials specific rim and grinding it still?

Send your answers on a self addressed envelope.

Edited by Brettoll

Spanks are disc only ( remember Ali c trying one once  with a rim brake ) but I wouldn’t recommend it for long purposes. Try and get a Mavic D521 or Mavic EX721 off eBay. I had no problems with them on my hex and other bikes till my setup changed over the years and I went to dual disc. Ran my mavics with discs then upgraded my rims to spanks. You can run a wider trials rim around 33/35mm I believe if you were struggling to find something. For pads anything really, I ran Heatsink for years and just put a bit of Tar on the rim and worked fine.

161E6DAD-470D-4FF3-9DFB-AE46B57FCA8E.jpeg

61CE0997-0421-46BE-B8D4-814C72B6A56D.jpeg

055A1BD7-8BBE-424F-8C7F-FC702E22F8BC.jpeg

Edited by John Shrewsbury
  • Like 2

On 2/16/2019 at 3:37 PM, ScottM said:

I have wondered if the Trialtech Carthy front rim might work well for a Hex? 31mm wide with 32 spoke holes. Weight is on par with the Spank rims so maybe not too light to serve as a rear?

I think it's way too light for a rear rim. I've badly bent and dented the rear one, which is huge. The front is a tiny bit wider than a D521 but quite a lot lighter, I wouldn't. The rear still only weighs as much as a D521, you might as well just use that, at least you get the nice big tyre profile. I know we all used 30mm rear rims 20 years ago but upon briefly revisiting that, I came straight back.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 2