Bash ring on tryall cranks

DYAKOV

I picked up a crank set from eBay the other day - 160mm tryall cranks, trialtech bash, echo tr fw - and I can see the fw isn’t screwed all the way in cos of the bash ring taking up some space on the thread.

Spoke to my mate who had the same cranks ages ago and said that he just used them without a bash. I’m not a smooth rider in the slightest and I do need a bash. Another issue is they might not fit on the bb if fw comes out too much but I’ll see about that when I fit them on tonight.

After all, they’re second had parts and have been used on a bike already so practically there should be no problem with fitting them on.

My question is has anybody had that kind of a set up and did the thread hold alright? Any opinion/advice is welcome!

Cheers,

Nas

66F49C44-7B53-4A01-B995-73FD0E4FDD50.jpeg

76338756-FFE6-4871-BC44-4016BF9E06DB.jpeg

B9110F7E-5447-46D7-AADA-9D16CC50C9A2.jpeg

Edited by DYAKOV

The 160mm and 165mm Try-All cranks had a shorter threaded section, so they're not ideal with a bashring.  Basically, 7mm or so is the minimum amount of contact you want for your freewheel.  Maybe take the freewheel off and see how much you've got with the bashring there?  

From memory the SL bash is one of the thinnest out there, so it's that or bust.

• Like 1

Thank guys for your replies! Just a quick update - managed to fit everything with lots of clearance between the bb and the freewheel. Just hope the thread will hold alright but if anything happens I’ll post on here anyway for other people to bear in mind.

Weird thing is that when I tried to fit the cranks on a brand new KO bikes bb they wouldn’t insert easily as usual so I had to tighten the bolts to help the cranks slot in. They were nearly new cranks so I can imagine the splines being still quite tight and unworn wouldn’t just slit in very smoothly but I’d never had that issue before so it made me think is there any difference between splines of different brands of cranks/bb’s?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by DYAKOV