The Bikes you have the biggest feelings for- but aren’t yours.

Herbertlemon102

I’m talking more about iconic bikes from videos that you desperately yearned for, despite the fact they could’ve been garbage, and also not the type of bike you’d ever want to ride, but something about them made you want to chuck your bike in the nearest bin and go get one. 

I’m expecting some oldies on here.

top three for me I’d say: 

1. Ali’s golden rim’d arcade. I’m not known to be the biggest ali fan, but the inspired arcade video this was in is one of my all time favourite videos, when it came out I had it on repeat.when I went to tartydays for the first time, this bike was also in the video from the year before and I would watch it all the time, all nervous to go meet real riders.

2: Flipp’s Marino from his welcome to tartybikes video and clean2. If I remember right, the geo was all wrong and it wasn’t particularly nice, but the welcome to tartybikes Video is the reason I went brakeless.

3: TRA’s Echo 24”, in particular with the short stem on it. f**k me he could throw that thing about. Made me want one so bad- still kinda do.

funny how none of these are remotely similar to the style of bike I ended up sticking with (mostly)

FC4829FC-FFD1-44BD-BF20-FDDC63044AE7.jpeg

BBADBB77-8AED-49A9-8F9B-99EC5D3749D4.png

F28E59FF-DD71-410D-B401-96CDB44344AF.jpeg

Edited by Herbertlemon102
  • Like 2

I kind of own one of my dream bikes but alternative the top 3 for me would be Chris Akriggs Mongoose. Didn't really enjoy riding an Inspired but that looks like loads of fun

chris-akrigg-pro-bike-2015-15.thumb.jpg.19e7d2a28f89f204520c67750c60819c.jpg

2 Would be Monty Kamel 231 mostly because when i was younger i enjoyed watching Kenny Belaeys Big Time Trials m110.jpg.71e86b6d30f7d9f9263a8fae7211029a.jpg

Last one even though the seat is stupidly high in this image but ye ol' Cannondale CAAD3 as im a sucker for old school 

1999-cannondale-caad3-martyn-ashton-37817_1.jpg.f89f8f86854e9b28e85e0d1825ee784f.jpg

Edited by Culshaw95
  • Like 3

TRA's 24 came to mind before I even scrolled down enough to read you listed it.  I owned one very similar and somehow I wasn't magically a better rider. :(

Rowan Johns Ashton. All time favorite rider and bike. I have never seen an Ashton justice in person.

Screenshot_2019-03-03-18-28-05.png

Edited by cwtrials
  • Like 6

+1 for Roawns Black Ashton. Quite liked his raw 24" Ashton Effect with the giro too.

MacAskills (formally Ali's) Ti Globe, Pashley Ghz with Curtis forks and an all black Fourplay he had with blue hubs... The one he rode in the Brainchild video when he did the first fakie manual to hop whip.

Ryan Leechs red and blue Manifestos. He also had a Ti one years ago which is old-school-cool.

Kurt Brains Prototype mk1 Ashton Justice was sexy.

The Boxx was awesome, as was the Sky range when it came out. Stan's Orange Sky... Wooft.

Also liked Akriggs green brakeless bike with red spokes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ross McArthur said:

Kurt Brains Prototype mk1 Ashton Justice was sexy.

That was the one in bare metal finish, right? Also Ashton's original grey prototype definitely qualifies.

For me it would be one of Hans Rey's bikes, which I've only seen a photo of once in an old catalog (and can't find again). Smallest size Zaskar (12.5" frame), ball burnished finish, yellow Judy SL forks. Possibly the bike and photo that started it all for me.

These were the three bikes I always wanted but never had.

The Crescent always looked like it rode super light, I think it had some of the shortest chainstays at the time and it looked very "Euro" with the mini seat and flat bars they often were built with, never saw one in person.

The Orange Zero was a dream bike of mine, made just up the road and I saw plenty of them at comps but I never actually rode one myself, I think it was the first frame I saw that was a straight line front the headtube to the rear axle and I thought that was pretty nuts! 

I think the Pace was my ultimate dream bike though, firstly because Chris Akrigg rode one like a beast and secondly when the Trialskings rode them (the Trialskings builds still look so awesome today!). Another frame I saw in person but have never ridden, they were famous for cracking which is a shame.

crescent bike.JPG

orange zero.jpg

pace bike.jpg

• Like 4

Starting my trials in the 90's I have always loved the look of bikes with a seat. Expect nothing too modern here...

1st: Matt Berridge's - Curtis T 24 - Always wanted one in the Howies Blue! (I think they still have the jig but i'm not willing to part ways with several hundred for a frame yet)

Matt Berridge's T24 Team Bike

2nd: Rowan Johns Justice in all Black, loved my black and red one - frame I most regret selling..

3rd: The white and Union Jack 26 MHZ - I owned a blue one that had been mainly de-stickered (why?!) it just wasn't this frame / build (image shamelessly ripped from trials_bikes_with_saddles Instagram)

pASH1.thumb.JPG.0ec5d344f843fca8242d4e29cb4152ba.JPG

Edited by Brettoll
  • Like 4

JJ Gregorwicz Cresent from the biketrials.com

days, looking at it now it looks a real pig

5c7d5b1c2f48c_Screenshot2019-03-04at17_05_27.png.55217fb5cd69f54af5d94740b1ded50e.png

The updated version just looked incredible too!

5c7d5b2ddfbdf_Screenshot2019-03-04at17_06_12.thumb.png.084b5433b58dd1878043221324eb472e.png

Neil Reis Brisa B26 always looked amazing, i actually owned one and it turned out to be an absolute sack of shit, still pretty though.
5c7d5b1ebb054_Screenshot2019-03-04at17_05_00.png.8e7eefdb9c0b8a7edf0cdf7de1489804.png

And to this day ive never seen one of these in the flesh, the DBR trials bike, always loved it.

5c7d5b2792cfb_Screenshot2019-03-04at17_04_23.thumb.png.c00e0ec649a2b083bdd8fd9e681977c5.png

Edited by Davetrials
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Davetrials said:

And to this day ive never seen one of these in the flesh, the DBR trials bike, always loved it.

5c7d5b2792cfb_Screenshot2019-03-04at17_04_23.thumb.png.c00e0ec649a2b083bdd8fd9e681977c5.png

That's quite amazing considering half the Merseyside riders owned one at some point or another. They were really nice frames to ride, similar geo to the Vario, which at the time wasn't bad at all.

Was the Guyzer made by James Hawkins?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tony Harrison said:

That's quite amazing considering half the Merseyside riders owned one at some point or another. They were really nice frames to ride, similar geo to the Vario, which at the time wasn't bad at all.

Was the Guyzer made by James Hawkins?

yes it was. 

Mods are just ugly for the most part. Always thought stocks looked nicer but I just couldn't deal with the big wheels.
There are exceptions of course, but only one I lusted after. This generation of PR, though Marco Grosenick's with the black rims was always me true love (until Chimpanzyyy built up a brakeless one):

1.jpg

The first Hydroxx 26":

large_porter.jpg

The Giant:

A3465A66-8E3B-471F-B626-74E6DC57745E_zps

Magellan Tucana:

magellan-tucana-pro-trial-7ae4f1a6647708

And honourable mentions to Nick Goddard's GU Le - I liked the above but also really loved the no-frills look of it (which I think influenced my later bike choices quite heavily :lol: ) and Rowan Johns' Ashton, but in stealth brakeless mode with the Kniffen/Smart Guy forks, for a partially similar reason I guess. I guess also the early Pythons because I was a complete CLS fanboy, but then I had an '05 and realised there never had been and never will be a worse riding frame :P 

• Like 3