New style bars

peter_t

I've noticed a lot of comp riders are using high rise bars but with less up and back sweep. The new Comas bars have an 8 degree upsweep and 6 degree backsweep, Jitsie have the new 'hybred bars' which only have 4 degree up and backsweep. These new style bars all have a total rise of around 100mm, the same as some bonz bars i was using. They have a lot more upsweep (12 i think) putting my wrists and hands in unnatural angles which tends to cause me grief.

I saw Andrew Chai is even using inspired arcade bars?

Are these types of bars with melower angles the way forward for comfort?

Thoughts?

16 hours ago, cwtrials said:

I use arcade bars for pure trials. Never could get used to the weird wrist angle on the comp bars. I'm sure someone else has more to say about it.

Did you have them rolled forward or upright?

I usually have mine somewhere between Carthy forward and upright.

17 minutes ago, PeanuckleJive said:

I’ve just put some of the Jitsie super high risers onto the Ashton I’m building, I pretty much have them upright and they feel pretty sweet to me. Might roll them forward a smidge but I don’t think they’ll be comfortable all the way forward

These ones?

aluminium-handlebar-318mm-730mm.jpg

7 hours ago, peter_t said:

Did you have them rolled forward or upright?

I usually have mine somewhere between Carthy forward and upright.

They wander back and forth between what I think would be normal for pure trials bars, and halfway to Street.

• Like 1

There might be trends, but it might not be for objective reasons.
These things come and go - look at ultra long wheelbases and super low tyre pressures for example. Head angles used to be steep, then went slack, now are steep again.
Years gone by, people used to run pretty flat bars, and when more sweep came in everyone jumped on the revelation for the exact same reasons ("old" vs "new" Zoo! bars... wow that was a long time ago). Now they've reduced it and it's happening again.
Honestly, I don't think it makes much difference. Sure, there will be a few people who have odd wrist-bones or a particular posture or style that it definitely makes a difference for, but I think the majority just benefit from "new part syndrome".

I've not tried any of the other new ones, but I've tried Arcade bars and think they're just horrible. I'm a die-hard Trialtech High Rise kind of person. Low-sweep options feel like holding a steering wheel, and just aren't for me. If you're currently having wrist issues then they're probably worth a go, but just don't go in with the expectation that it will 100% resolve instantly. It might make no difference at all - trials is just pretty heavy on the wrists - no getting around that! 

Edited by aener
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

Wow. With how low the Bb is on that, that must feel wild?

To be fair I’ve never been a stock rider so I don’t have much to reference against but it feels good to me! It’s got a fairly long stem too.

The echo tr bars I had on it while I built it felt a bit low, felt a bit hunched over when on the back wheel

• 2 weeks later...