Broken cranks on my new Onza zoot

SammyH

I bought a second hand Onza zoot last week as my first trials bike and have been loving it. I was riding a couple of days trying a few tricks and fell off, and the bike landed heavily on the right hand pedal.  The impact messed up the threads in the crank and the pedal will not stay screwed in properly, it keeps coming out at an angle when I'm riding the bike. I need to buy a new set of cranks but am not sure if I need to get a whole new free-wheel set because the free-wheel is in the bottom bracket somehow- I've never seen this before and am confused about how it works! Can I just replace the cranks or do I need to replace the free-wheel as well if they are attached? Thanks. 

You can just replace the cranks, you can unscrew the freewheel and re-use it.

If you're UK-based, may be worth chatting to the guys at TartyBikes about helicoiling the crank arm - they fit a steel threaded insert into the crank arm meaning you can keep using it.  If pedals aren't kept tight on bikes when they're new they'll quite often strip the pedal threads, and this insert has kept a lot of people's cranks running after that's happened.  It works well (Y)

It's quite a bit less than a new pair of cranks so could save you some money.

Yeah Im from the UK, I live in Bristol as well. Yeah my mate suggested that as an option, just had another look at it and have taken the pedal out and the crank is completely knackered, theres no way it will be able to be threaded again, at least not so my pedal will fit back in. So now I have to hunt for a new crankset 

14 hours ago, SammyH said:

Yeah Im from the UK, I live in Bristol as well. Yeah my mate suggested that as an option, just had another look at it and have taken the pedal out and the crank is completely knackered, theres no way it will be able to be threaded again, at least not so my pedal will fit back in. So now I have to hunt for a new crankset 

They drill out the existing pedal threads then insert the helicoil - the outer threads of the helicoil are larger than the original pedal threads, so even if it's totally stripped out it would probably still work.  When I was there we got some mashed cranks in and they were still salvageable.  

If you can't get hold of Rob's crank you could try shooting them an e-mail with a photo of your crank to see what they think :)

Oh ok, it might work then. I was thinking that when they drilled through the hole it would make the hole bigger, meaning that the pedals would no longer fit in as the hole would be too big. 

If that was alright with you that would be great Rob, I'd be more than happy to pay you for the crank. That would save me so much time searching for the right pair of cranks to fit for the bike, when would you next be in Bristol? Am v busy at the moment but will definitely be able to find time to get the crank - its killing me looking at the bike every day and not being able to ride it!

I'll be at work at 6 at Pizza Hut on Cheltenham road, its the same road as Gloucester Road just further down. I can meet you there or I could try and come closer to where you'll be. If you come I can definitely sort you out with a some free pizza!

Edited by SammyH