Newbie thinking about getting back into it!

Staggy

Hi guys, I'm 31 and it's a good 15 years since I did any trials. Was never much good but I really enjoyed it, and I'm thinking about getting myself a really cheap bike to see if I can get back into it.

So I will be browsing the forum and seeing what's what in the trials world these days, as well as keeping an eye on the classifieds.

Always wanted a Pashley 26mhz back in the day, loved the look of 'em. I've only ever had 26" bikes for trials in the past, how different is 20" stuff to ride etc?

look at an inspired 26, it's probably the closest you'd get to that pashley feel, they're obscenely well made too. what and how were you riding back in 2004? mods have gotten very extreme compared to what they were back in your day, they're very high bb and 'twitchy' and are so far from how bmxy they used to be. i started in 2005 and i don't realy ride alot now but they standard of kit is f**king amazing now.

Funnily enough I have been looking at the inspired bikes, may consider one at some point.

As for what I was riding back then.....it wasn't even a trials bike haha. I had a saracen xile with a 32t chainring and bashguard, rob warner base jump pedals and a DCD. Still had front suspension and everything lmao, did used to ride my mates bikes too though.

I bought a cheap Onza Rip the other day just to see how a 20" feels and I really don't think theyre for me, gonna give it a chance though.

• 1 month later...

I know everybody has their own preference but still... give the 20” a chance. It might seem alien at first but once you get used to it you’ll love how comfy it is and especially how you can control the bike with your body instead of being “carried away” by the bike.

This coming from me who started on a hardtail 24-18 gear ration with -30bb and 579483827292726 chainstay..

(all of that said... depending on your height) if your tall then probably a street machine or a stock trials bike yeah :-)

• Like 1

Vote for the "real" trials bike if modern trials is interesting. Also probably not the cheapest one if ever possible. Because the price differences are not huge between the full entry level and much more advanced comp bikes and if a real interest takes place, the most entry level stuff will turn frustrating very quickly. I've upgraded nearly everything in my echo pure, but the frame, wheels and the drivetrain. And now I already hate how flexy the non tapered fork is, also it seems to be eating headsets quite fast. Guess I need to buy a new frame and fork then lol..

Pogos feel weird and annoying at first but learning to ride them opens up a new world of ability, which makes them fun. I'm actually switching between the echo and a full suspension enduro sometimes every second day, and it doesn't cause any problems to adapt anymore.

For more old school trials and actual fun instead of huge moves, then definitely vote for the Inspired Hex or Czar neuron 26, but they are on another level of price than comp bikes though. I recently bought the Neuron frame and built it with more trialsy approach than street, and it feels awesome for the natural stuff. If my main focus wasn't on learning all the real big moves some day, I'd definitely ride only the Neuron as it's much more relaxed and fun to ride.

8 hours ago, Jere_h said:

For more old school trials and actual fun instead of huge moves, then definitely vote for the Inspired Hex or Czar neuron 26, but they are on another level of price than comp bikes though. I recently bought the Neuron frame and built it with more trialsy approach than street, and it feels awesome for the natural stuff. If my main focus wasn't on learning all the real big moves some day, I'd definitely ride only the Neuron as it's much more relaxed and fun to ride.

Got any pictures of your 'more trialsy' Czar Neuron? I'd love to see that. Mine's all street, but definitely +1 for the Neuron.

5 hours ago, Swoofty said:

Got any pictures of your 'more trialsy' Czar Neuron? I'd love to see that. Mine's all street, but definitely +1 for the Neuron.

Sure, but it's a bit work in progress and I only have one kidney left. Will post more better pics to the bike pictures topic as soon as the bike will look more complete. I'm going to take the 105 Comas bars from my echo to this to get some more reach, also would love to have a trials front rim but I think the current one will do for now (a crappy Nukeproof 25mm wide). Probably going to coat the seat with something black, as I don't necessarily like the purple frame and white seat combo. It looks like 90's barbie stuff to me (the seat and the frame were both discounted hence the color choices).
Back to the original topic however, I was afraid that the Neuron will feel very heavy and too short for riding rocks in the woods (compared to Echo), but actually it was awesome for that too. With roughly one year trials background I'm not the right person to talk about the full capabilities of this bike but for a beginner it does the job extremely well as a pure trials bike too.

small.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I just couldn't get used to the Onza, so I sold it! I just felt far too big for it.

I'm hoping to replace it with a 'retro' 26" bike at some point, still really want a Pashley 26mhz.

What's the difference between trials and street? It was all just trials to me back in the early 00's lol...