24" Pure - Who is still riding it?

cwtrials

11 hours ago, cwtrials said:

It seems like this was a phase that has died.  Anybody still rocking 24" pure?

I just sold my echo 24, so yea, its dead in my eyes but obviously still alive in someone else's!

I much preferred the disc set up to the magura rear. Plus I couldn't get on with the front "comp" tyre.

The GU 24" Dual Disc bike was surprisingly popular and sold out really quickly.  There are still people out there doing it, but they're a relatively small sub-section of the overall trials population, and with that not exactly being huge these days it means it all looks a bit small by comparison.

Not that it's "pure" as such, but I doubt Jitsie would have made their Hybrid bike if they didn't see some potential there.  I get that, as the name suggests, it's a hybrid of the two, but it's undeniably more "pure" than "street".

7 hours ago, Joe Papasnap Maher said:

Still riding rockman 24

Good to hear, you always rocked 24"!!! 

6 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

I just sold my echo 24, so yea, its dead in my eyes but obviously still alive in someone else's!

I much preferred the disc set up to the magura rear. Plus I couldn't get on with the front "comp" tyre.

You sold the echo?!  Are you riding 26" now?

3 hours ago, Mark W said:

The GU 24" Dual Disc bike was surprisingly popular and sold out really quickly.  There are still people out there doing it, but they're a relatively small sub-section of the overall trials population, and with that not exactly being huge these days it means it all looks a bit small by comparison.

Not that it's "pure" as such, but I doubt Jitsie would have made their Hybrid bike if they didn't see some potential there.  I get that, as the name suggests, it's a hybrid of the two, but it's undeniably more "pure" than "street".

Yeah, part of what prompted me to start the thread was checking out Tartybikes and seeing only the Gu and the Jitsie.  At least here in the states it seems 24" pure was most popular with beginners, to whom the "best of both" worlds idea was very inviting.  I do feel like the Jitsie hybrid has a place, how many old school riders complain about the new bikes being too "xyz", but still can't get on with a completely street bike?  It'll be interesting to see how it does.

I sold my Echo 24 pure as well. It was mostly down to me not being a pure rider than anything else. I did my best sidehops and gaps on that bike. It sold quickly for a good price (it was the dual disc version) and after the sale I got numerous inquiries as to if I had any more of them for sale.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Ross McArthur said:

Trying to, yeah.

55AB3773-E5C6-4DB3-9069-CFF3EC0E9B91.jpeg

01DEB686-0C88-434D-BF69-C60784159DBF.jpeg

Seriously Jealous of that Ashton!

24 minutes ago, Swoofty said:

I sold my Echo 24 pure as well. It was mostly down to me not being a pure rider than anything else. I did my best sidehops and gaps on that bike. It sold quickly for a good price (it was the dual disc version) and after the sale I got numerous inquiries as to if I had any more of them for sale.

Yeah, when I rode 24" pure awhile back it seemed great for static moves like gaps and sidehops.  However I could never really figure out pedal ups, it seemed like neither 20" or 26" technique quite worked super well on it.   Obviously some riders like Joe Maher didn't have the same problem.

2 hours ago, cwtrials said:

Yeah, part of what prompted me to start the thread was checking out Tartybikes and seeing only the Gu and the Jitsie.

TB aren't entirely representative of this though - for example, RockMan are still making their 24" frames (as far as I know), but TB don't stock them.  See also: Kabra, Neon/Because, Ozonys (I assume...).  They didn't choose to stop stocking them because they weren't selling (they generally did), just their choice of which brands to work with now.

17 hours ago, cwtrials said:

Seriously Jealous of that Ashton!

It was a good find!

The other thing I didn't like about the echo 24 was how far apart the wheels felt. Wafty I called it. As in, the distance between the front of the back tyre and the back of the front tyre. Just felt like two halves instead of the one bike.

• Like 1

i really enjoyed my 24"ers an echo and a Neon

having ridden bmxs for years and finding a mod a bit too small and not wanting a 26 because id not ridden one for like 15 odd years and it seemed a bit too far out my comfort zone but when the neon broke after 6 months (im 6,4 and not smooth at all btw) i couldn't see a replacement for it i liked so i went in a different direction

still got all my parts though so might get another frame if one comes along i like

I have an Echo 24 and it rides really nice but tyre choice stopped me as im riding more natural these days. Stocks feel too big for me (im 5'6) but i like the way the wheels still roll like a stock. I managed to get lucky and find a brand new maxxis swamp thing in 40a compound on ebay but even this doesn't come close to how good mod tyres are. Front tyre choice is a bit shit too.

I am hoping that Jitsie will produce some proper tyres to go with their new bike. Over all i still prefer a mod but if they do i can see 24" bikes making a big comeback and i would consider trying it again.

On 17/04/2019 at 10:34 AM, Ross McArthur said:

The other thing I didn't like about the echo 24 was how far apart the wheels felt. Wafty I called it. As in, the distance between the front of the back tyre and the back of the front tyre. Just felt like two halves instead of the one bike.

New Jitsie has a 1045 wheelbase, could be good?

4 hours ago, peter_t said:

I have an Echo 24 and it rides really nice but tyre choice stopped me as im riding more natural these days. Stocks feel too big for me (im 5'6) but i like the way the wheels still roll like a stock. I managed to get lucky and find a brand new maxxis swamp thing in 40a compound on ebay but even this doesn't come close to how good mod tyres are. Front tyre choice is a bit shit too.

Maxxis was making a proper rear 24" tire recently. Tacky compound, thick sidewalls, and pinch protection. I forget what is was off hand, but I bought one new in early 2017. Worked great. It was aimed at the Jr downhill market 

Edited by cwtrials
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, peter_t said:

Maxxis Minions? Sadly I don't think these tyres are available in the UK. 

Yeah, those are the ones.  Even here in the states it took some serious searching to find one.  Depending on where you order it from might be worth paying for shipping from somewhere else.  Outside of 2-3 countries including UK most trials riders are ordering most - all their parts international.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-Minion-24X2-40-M301P-3Cgrip/dp/B01MYBAQA5
https://www.rei.com/product/139538/maxxis-minion-dhf-3c-terra-exo-tr-tire-24-x-24

I'm planning to build up an old dual disc ozonys curve 24 soon. I have a 26" crewkerz that I love, but I've been wanting to try out a smaller more playful pure trials bike that I can bunnyhop and throw around a bit more easily.

I would have jumped on one of the 2019 GU frames, but I can't get over how a 1075 wheelbase just seems sort of wrong for this wheel size. The Jitsie hybrid 24" looks interesting, but I want a higher bb, and there's just so many things that I really wish they would update about their designs (standard headtube, ISIS bb, 116mm dropouts, 160mm disc mounts? LOL).

For rear tires, the Vee Flow Snap 24" seems interesting to me (it comes in a super low duro too): https://www.veetireco.com/listings/junior-specialty-flow-snap/

• 1 month later...

Haven't looked at specsheets, but from the picture it looks like your frame has shorter chainstays, longer reach and steeper head angle (which combine to mean shorter stem) and it's steel.
Spec-wise... FFW and Kendas?
Appearance-wise: that white stripe, standover angle and temporary seat are all yuck. The Vader's standover still looks a bit weirdly low to me to still have a saddle, but it's nowhere near so bad as the Jitsie, which may as well have zip-ties on it :P 

• Like 1

Granted it's not so pleasing to the eye (both) but the Vader was a bit of a concept bike. I wanted to try something different to see if it worked. It did for the most part, and rode better with a shorter stem than is pictured.

That saddle on the Vader was too big and the saddle on the Jitsie is sitting at a shit angle. I reckon the low stand over and saddle look could work...It just hasn't been executed perfectly on both accounts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

Granted it's not so pleasing to the eye (both) but the Vader was a bit of a concept bike. I wanted to try something different to see if it worked. It did for the most part, and rode better with a shorter stem than is pictured.

That saddle on the Vader was too big and the saddle on the Jitsie is sitting at a shit angle. I reckon the low stand over and saddle look could work...It just hasn't been executed perfectly on both accounts.

To clarify, I was defending the Vader. Your 24" SL with dual Spank/Conti/Disc is still my favourite looking bike ever. The Vader was still pretty nice looking in a similar way, I just think the top-tube could've come a bit higher to meet the saddle instead of the seat-tube extension. Wouldn't be an obstruction since it would still be lower than the saddle.
I liked the Vader. The Jitsie is pig ugly.