Unknown bike frame.

Gavin cross

I have this very old trials frame... (looks like a comp style frame to me??) and I Just wondered if anyone knows what frame it is? I did trials as youngster on a monty and I gave up around 15 years ago. I've recently got back into cycling and want to use trials as a way of advancing my skills like pedal and break control. So im thinking of building it back up just for that really. But would love to know what make it is. Thanks in advance

IMG_20190426_200106.jpg

IMG_20190426_200013.jpg

if memory serves they take a 14mm axle hub on the back wheel which limits your choice of hubs to very beefy bmx ones. make sure you get a threaded hub so you can put a good trials freewheel on there. if the frame the only part you have? you might be better off getting a complete new bike.

i don't think it's a mission looking at the headset actually... i think they ran with a 1.5" headset not the standard 1 1/8 which that looks like. either way if it's a mission prodigy frame then you either need to get a headset that takes the smaller steerer or get your hands on the original mission forks will fit that bike.

It'll probably be an Onza or Da-Bomb in that case then - it doesn't matter toooo much which one it is as they're all essentially the same frame from the same place as far as I know.  As far as compatibility goes:

- Headset: it'll need a standard 1 1/8" headset (not internal or integrated),

- Dropouts: 110mm spaced (which you'll need to use with chain tugs to tension your chain), but you can use a 116mm hub if you dick around with spacers (depending on the specific hub)

- Rear wheel: You'll need a 19" rim and tyre

- Brakes: You can either use a hydraulic rim brake with some 4-bolt brake clamps or get some 4-bolt to V-Brake adaptors and use a V-Brake if you'd prefer

- Gearing:  If you're going to run that crankset, if it's a 24t chainring you'll need to use a 16t freewheel on the rear to get the right gear ratio

They're not bad frames, but if it's going to cost you a lot to do it up and get it rideable then it may be worth looking at getting a second hand complete bike.  Trials bikes don't hold their value well so you can pick up some bargains here and there.  If it's looking like it'll cost you £300-400 to get it working, going for a second hand complete would be a better bet as you'll be able to get a more modern bike with more up to date geometry for the same price.

Thanks for all that info that's really helpful mate. It was a complete bike. I've taken it apart to re-spray it. I've got all the parts and all seem to be working well apart from the crank arms where the pedels thread in,someone has knackered the threads.ive got the magura hs11 rim brakes but might upgrade them. 

• 2 months later...